CableCARD tuner support for MediaPortal 1 (2 Viewers)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks (y)

Guess I had better get a wriggle on then! :)

mediacowboy

Portal Pro
    May 5, 2012
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    MM,

Can you tell me what possible registry settings need to be made to make the patch work on Windows 7 64 bit? I really don't want to redo the whole system but will if that is easiest. I forgot when I order my HD Homerun Prime that I was running 64 bit. Sorry. If you need on my system pm me. I am also willing to be the test monkey to get 64 bit working

MediaCowboy

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello MediaCowboy

At this point I still have no solution for 64 bit Windows, and the more I look at it the more I think we'll have to do something entirely different to support 64 bit. That something different will probably mean the native DRI support that is discussed earlier in this thread. There is no timeline on doing this right now... although I can say that I'm not actively working on it and it would probably take a matter of a month or more of solid work to get anywhere near what we have with PBDA right now... so for that reason if you are intent on testing I would recommend you get the system-reload out of the way now.

Having said that, I will PM you momentarily with the details of the reg keys that I looked at. I'm not advocating that you mess with the registry but if you do manage to get the tuners working then please do share. ;)

mm

mcheng89

October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    Hey mm,

Would it be possible to take a look at the patches you made? I want to try playing around with the code :)

K7Raid

Portal Member
    March 14, 2008
    Wow! I guess I was way behind on the development of CableCARD support in MP. The last time I looked into this it looked like it was a dead end. I have been using Mediaportal for many years and currently use HDhomerun network tuners. I just ordered an HDhomerun Prime after reading this. If ANY developer would like VPN access I have a dedicated VM server, and can provide you with full access to any guest OS with full access to the network tuners. If there is anything I can do to accelerate this or make it easier please let me know!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello K7Raid :)

Wow! I guess I was way behind on the development of CableCARD support in MP. The last time I looked into this it looked like it was a dead end.
    Not too far behind - it has only been a month since I started the thread.
    You're right: for a long time I thought it would be prohibitively difficult for me to do this but with some assistance from @ijourneaux I was able to make the first breakthrough that paved the way for the patch that is available now. :)

I have been using Mediaportal for many years and currently use HDhomerun network tuners. I just ordered an HDhomerun Prime after reading this. If ANY developer would like VPN access I have a dedicated VM server, and can provide you with full access to any guest OS with full access to the network tuners. If there is anything I can do to accelerate this or make it easier please let me know!
    Cheers. (y)
    Testing and reporting your results would be a great start.
    Basically: does TV Server find all your channels, are you able to preview them, do the streams play smoothly... that sort of thing.
    If you have SchedulesDirect already, you may be able to get EPG data and have a functional system.

mm

mcheng89

October 5, 2012
    Home Country
    The code patch or the reg patch or both?

The code patch if that's possible? I think it would jumpstart my understanding of how everything in the TVServer works. :)

I actually dont know C# but I have used C++ and libupnp to control my Ceton device. I'm going to try and get this to work with DRI since I have a W7 64bit server.

So first step would be to get the card detected. I'm just skimming the code right now, but I'll try to spend some more time this weekend to understand how it all works.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Does card detection take place in this file: TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TVLibrary/Implementations/TvCardCollection.cs?
    How did you detect the HDHomeRun when you used upnp (since it takes some time for the device to be detected)? Did you block the DetectCards() function until the HDHomeRun showed up, or is there a way to add a card after DetectCards() got called?

Looks like card detection is called once on init:
    TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TvService/TVController.cs - InitController()
    Some notes for myself (MP2 UPnP lib):
    MediaPortal/Source/Core/UPnP/Infrastructure/CP/UPnPNetworkTracker.cs
    MediaPortal/Tools/UPnPTools/UPnPDeviceSpy/FormDeviceSpy.cs

_networkTracker.RootDeviceAdded += networkTracker_RootDeviceAdded;
    _networkTracker.RootDeviceRemoved += networkTracker_RootDeviceRemoved;
    _networkTracker.Start();
    TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TvService/TVController.cs
    TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TVLibrary/Implementations/TvCardCollection.cs
    TvEngine3/TVLibrary/SetupTv/SettingsForm.cs

Last edited:

Eric Payson

October 19, 2012
    Home Country
    I have been following this thread since it started but never joined in the discussion. I thought scanning was only working.... You have channel previews showing up??? If this is the case I have both ceton and prime going on in my setup. I have a couple core2 duo computers sitting around collecting dust one of them being my former HTPC server before upgrading a month ago. If this is up and running in such a fashion that channels are working and displaying I will gladly start testing. I am away on biz trip right now but I will be back home sunday. I can get a 32 bit system up and running and use my schedules direct account to get EPG. Plus build a 64 bit test machine for anyone making progress on that front and needs testers. I will stick with the prime testing for now since the ceton is used a lot and prime is only ever used at night with more than 4 shows recording.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The code patch or the reg patch or both?

The code patch if that's possible? I think it would jumpstart my understanding of how everything in the TVServer works. :)
    Check your PMs shortly. :)

I actually dont know C# but I have used C++ and libupnp to control my Ceton device. I'm going to try and get this to work with DRI since I have a W7 64bit server.
    Okay - that would be awesome. :)

So first step would be to get the card detected. I'm just skimming the code right now, but I'll try to spend some more time this weekend to understand how it all works.
    Does card detection take place in this file: TvEngine3/TVLibrary/TVLibrary/Implementations/TvCardCollection.cs?
    Yes, that's correct.

How did you detect the HDHomeRun when you used upnp (since it takes some time for the device to be detected)? Did you block the DetectCards() function until the HDHomeRun showed up, or is there a way to add a card after DetectCards() got called?
    What I did was use the MP2 UPnP library which has a callback interface that allows you to add a device as and when it is detected. So I didn't block - I added the tuners as they were detected. My intention would have been to have that as the first-detection approach, but after the tuner details are in the DB we could ping them and see if they are "alive" in all future cases. From what I can see this is what PBDA does as well - they cache the tuner list in the registry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom