Call for tester for 1.4.0 features and fixes (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    That's all I need to know when D3D device issues are coming up or when MP hangs. It's just fine tuning.

Non standard setup is also fine. The more tricky the involved setup the better.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    And Build #6 is up. I removed all D3D Device Resets. I am sick an tired of them.

The actual handling in case of a lost device is probably broken at the moment. Will fix this later. Not important right now. The device should not get lost anyway. Suspend/Resume scenarios are a different thingy. We will deal with once turning on/off display and/or receiver do not cause any issues anymore.

Please test the following scenarions:
    • Display and/or receiver on/off a couple of times in a row
    • Display and/or receiver on/off a couple of times as fast as possible (think of it as stress test)
    • Various suspend/hibernate and resume scenarios - just to see where we stand - expect lost D3D devices or MP crashes/hangs
    • Your usual RDP/VNC/TeamViewer routine, if you use it at all.
    Please report anything that doesn't look right or when MP crashes/loosing the D3D device.
    Also if you have an XP installation somewhere please try it on it. Would be interesting if I broke XP support by now. If so stuff can be added back later as that only gets executed on XP.
    Also I removed the reloading of font resources when switching between windowed and fullscreen mode. This might make fonts in small windows look ugly. Font Rendering will be replaced anyway with signed distance fields, so I do not care about this for the moment.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Just to be sure you did not miss this edit of earlier post.

NEW ISSUE (with v5)
    I just noticed.
    upon pressing play on a video file, MP sometimes minimizes. I need to press START on the remote to get MP playback in full screen.
    Upon pressing STOP, MP minizes again.
    Keep in mind I put your files directly over a recent GIT build. So it might be a result of that... dont know. But I did not see this before overwriting the files from your build.

Last edited:

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    upon pressing play on a video file, MP sometimes minimizes. I need to press START on the remote to get MP playback in full screen.
    Upon pressing STOP, MP minizes again.

Is it possible that this happens when the refresh rate is changed by MP?

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    this is caused by the refresh rate changer. not adjusted the code for it. will do in the next build

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    1. Display and/or receiver on/off a couple of times in a row
      Log 1 - Overall fairly good results. The GUI is a lot sooner responsive to user input (menu operable again) compared to build 5.
      After the 2nd off/on cycle, the GUI was small again. 1024x.... Don't know exactly. The rest of the cases it was full screen again and no black/minimized situations.
    2. Display and/or receiver on/off a couple of times as fast as possible (think of it as stress test)
      Log 2 - Overall good results again. This time, no half screens seen.
    3. Various suspend/hibernate and resume scenarios - just to see where we stand - expect lost D3D devices or MP crashes/hangs
      Log 3.1 - Sleep mode. 1st time sleep/wake MP was minimized in tray. Upon right click + restore it was up in a flash and working
      2nd time sleep/wake, MP was minimized AND frozen.
      Log 3.2 - Hibernate. All three attempts were ok, not much fuzz. after resume MP wasnt on top anymore, but Watchdog was. Upon mouse clicking on MP it was instantly responsive again through the GUI.. Good.
    4. Your usual RDP/VNC/TeamViewer routine, if you use it at all.
      Log 4 - I seem to have some difficulty with running Remote Desktop + MP. If I take over the HTPC from my desktop PC and start MP, the desktop pc starts spinning up my GFX card for extra cooling. As if its stuck in a process consuming its resources. MP GUI through the RDP is very very sluggish because of this I think. might be unrelated to your builds. Here are the logs anyways. :)
    5. Bonus: During playback tested off/on cycle twice.
      Log 5_bonus - GOOD result!Image probably kept on playing after turning off. And when turned on, the video was still playing smoothly. No jerkiness .. BUT only the sound was lost. Same result after trying second time.

Last edited:

Luca Brasi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 14, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hi,
    sorry I couldn't keep my promise to do some deep testing. I hope I can contribute on the weekend...
    Just had a quick look.
    I can confirm edterbak's results, espacially that it is looking and feeling really really good. After resume MP will just be there and you can start right away.

1. No problems
    2. The small gui happend to me in around 30th cycle.
    3. No problems after all.
    4. No problems with teamviewer, had it logged on for maybe half of the tests.
    5. Same for me. When the resumed playback ends MP will freeze. Music is playing after resume but no sound is active. After Stop no more playback will be possible.
    6. Live TV/Radio and Recordings won't play with Argus. There will be an "unknown error".

I'll add some logs with some random testing, all errors mentioned above are in. Maybe you can use it for cross referencing.

Scythe42

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 20, 2009
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For Scenario 1 and 2 where MP might come back in a 1024x768 resolution I add a "force full screen size" to WM_GETMINMAXINFO. Hope this should compensate it. Reasons seems to be that Windows reported the re-connection of the display with the cached resolution of 1920x1080 but in fact it isn't yet ready for this resolution. As some subsequente WM_GETMINMAXINFO message are coming in I try to compensate it there instead of trying to put in a delay. Should have no side effects at all. We need to check if this does the trick for the rare occasions where this happens.

Suspend/Hibernate/Resume - Thanks. I know were we are standing here. Will try to work around these issues in the next build.

Regarding turning off the HDMI devices during playback: The sound can be gone, because the HDMI sound device was deactivated by Windows itself as nothing is connected anymore. A HDMI sound device is always seen as an external sound device from a Windows point of view. I haven't yet found a way to work around this when a Direct Show Graph is playing. Even though the sound device is back operating again you won't have any sound. I can reproduce this with a bitstreaming setup. Need a longer debugging sessions.

Halting the DS graph while the audio device is gone and resume when it is back seems to work in general. But haven't found the right spot in the code to monitor the audio device state. Could also be related to whatever codecs you are using. Haven't worked on this one yet.

Also my System crashes when I turn off my TV and then back on again during playback. Should I pause playback during that time everything is fine. I always had this issue. There is a bug somewhere in the player. Fun thing is this doesn't happen when I turn off the receiver. I guess my receiver disconnected the audio device and reconnects it when the TV is turned on again and causing MP to crash as the Direct Show graph gets screwed up temporarily.

For the later one I'll need to do some extended debugging. Also without MP to check if similar things happen with Direct Show alone. MP shouldn't crash at all. In such cases it just should stop playback.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    imho even stopping the player on hdmi device lost would be fine. That said (when paused) the system would not hibernate/standby. So stoping the playback might be better because if this too. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom