Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (3 Viewers)

Bleazle

Portal Pro
July 14, 2007
Pukekohe
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Are you guys using Argus or MPTV Server? I looked at Argus ages ago but couldn't work out the satellite settings (what to use, how to change etc) so I'm still using MPTV Server - I have a "funny" thing where once a week (or so) MP records 10 minutes of a programme then stops (always exactly 10 minutes, which is why it's "funny"), then starts recording again 3 mins later (luckily FTR puts both files in one folder eg. Californication). I'm keen to try Argus to see if the fault lies with MP TVServer or 4TR..

mastyman

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 1, 2010
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    FTR MPTVServer Plugin here

maybe something is wrong with your recording rules/settings, maybe you should start with a clean FTR install.

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I use the MP TV Server plugin and not Argus. Tried Argus a while back but couldnt get it working.

Funny you should mention that occurance for you. Just sometimes I get two recordings for a single recording (eg scheduled "Close Up") and one will be 0 seconds long and they proper one is there as well.

Technicolour

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Technicolour
    I've been waiting for VideoRedo to improve its editing ability. It isn't perfect right now as their smart editor can create artifacts at cuts/joins.

So what would you recommend using to compress my raw ts files to?

Do you mean a compression format (eg. h.264, MPEG2), compression ratio, or media container (eg. mkv)?
    The answer to any of those questions would depend on:
    - what devices you want to be able to play the recordings on
    - how much storage the device(s) have
    - how much storage your TV Server (or NAS etc.) has

I only want to play the recording on my HTPC, and to be able to pipe them out via PS3 Media Server.

I also want to get them as close to scene standards as possible, so that's 1gb for 720p etc.

I was mainly asking to find out what format is easiest to compress them to while I wait for something to cut the ads out with, so that I don't bone myself with a hard to cut format once the program is ready.

Bleazle

Portal Pro
    July 14, 2007
    Pukekohe
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    ...Funny you should mention that occurance for you. Just sometimes I get two recordings for a single recording (eg scheduled "Close Up") and one will be 0 seconds long and they proper one is there as well.

Told you it was "funny" :D

I need to pay a bit more attention to when this happens and go back to the 4TR forum - I mentioned it there a while ago and as a result something was changed in 4TR with regard to some sort of check it does to see if TVServer is still active while recording (or something like that). It would be good to get to the bottom of it because the fact that the split is exactly 10 minutes long every time is what's really "funny"... The 4TR team seemed to think it was possibly a MP issue...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I only want to play the recording on my HTPC, and to be able to pipe them out via PS3 Media Server.
    Well almost any format would be fine for an HTPC as long as you have the right codecs installed for viewing. I can't comment about PS3s...

I also want to get them as close to scene standards as possible, so that's 1gb for 720p etc.

I was mainly asking to find out what format is easiest to compress them to while I wait for something to cut the ads out with, so that I don't bone myself with a hard to cut format once the program is ready.
    If you're wanting to compress the video like that then it will require a re-encode. VideoRedo should work well with that already, as would Handbrake. The issues with VideoRedo start when you want to *avoid* re-encoding to maintain as much quality as possible (they have a "smart" editing mode). I'd encourage you to try your luck with VideoRedo. There's a free 14 day trial. Other people might be able to give you more diverse recommendations...

Technicolour

Portal Pro
    May 20, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well almost any format would be fine for an HTPC as long as you have the right codecs installed for viewing. I can't comment about PS3s....

Heh I mentioned it as PS3 Media Server does live transcoding so codecs aren't really a problem.

So I should be sweet to go then if I transcode all my stuff to h.264 mkv? Video Redo won't cause any artifacts/degraded video?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Heh I mentioned it as PS3 Media Server does live transcoding so codecs aren't really a problem.
    Ah, okay. :)

So I should be sweet to go then if I transcode all my stuff to h.264 mkv? Video Redo won't cause any artifacts/degraded video?
    MKV is just a container. AVC/h.264 is the format. Technically what you are talking about is compressing the h.264 and changing container from TS to MKV. VR should definitely be able to do that for you. If you're doing a full re-encode (like you would be by the sounds of it) then you're very unlikely to get artifacts unless you have glitches in the original recordings. Even then VR may be able to minimise the effects of those using what they call "quick stream fix" or QSF for short. Degraded video would obviously result if you compress the video too much, but that is completely in your control. Like I said, there is no harm in giving VR a trial. 14 days should be plenty of time to see if it will do what you want...

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Is this thread still going??????

Holy Cr*p is this thread still going???? :eek:

I went away for 4 years and ditched my HTPC project for a while and I remember this thread back then....

Man talk about threads that never die...

thekiwi

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 26, 2007
    Gisborne
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Re: Is this thread still going??????

Holy Cr*p is this thread still going???? :eek:

I went away for 4 years and ditched my HTPC project for a while and I remember this thread back then....

Man talk about threads that never die...

Heck yea ...

We even find the odd Aussie popping in as well ... as its evolved into one of the more helpful threads around :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom