Calling all MP New Zealanders (Both of you!!) (4 Viewers)

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Do you know who sells the Skystar2 online in NZ? I see there are a few on TradeMe for around $145

Yeah I bougt my Skystar2 from this guy. (In cambridge). I can definitly reccomend him he was very helpful and showed me his media portal setup. First time I had seen it; before that I had a mythtv setup and after seeing his MP setup I decided I didn't hate my self enough to continue with mythtv ;-) I can also recommend the SkyStar2.(Tho I don't have anything to compare it to) I havn't had any problems with it. If you do get one I suggest you use the beta BDA driver it seems to be much better than the default WDM driver that it comes with.

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi Rhys, thanks for the comments. I haven't compared the BDA driver yet directly. I'm very interested in what you feel its advantages are.

Cheers
m

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yeah "feel" is about right, I don't have any hard evidence to back up my claim! ;-) I changed the dirver in my course of action to fix another problem, which actually turned out to be a bug. I think channel changes are faster. and I think it may using less cpu. I havn't gone back to the WDM driver to compare the difference but all things DVB just feel smoother and snappier! I was also getting some stuttering on DVB channels with tvserver(sigle seat) that seems to have gone now too. Also it was strongly reccommed to me by another experienced MP user (Infinityloop) see thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/mantis_957_bug_manual_control_dvbs_ss2-t15905.html

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Sounds good, after a while i've become a card carrying member of the "if it ain't broke dont fix it" brigade and hadn't tried the BDA driver. However anything that reduces channel change time is of interest and i think i might be tempted to have a play.

Cheers
m

barkerch

Portal Member
January 29, 2007
Wellington
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Interested in settings Kiwis @ New Zealand

Hi there,

Just wondered about New Zealand settings for Media Portal - the Wiki covers EPG - but stuff like NZ RSS news URLS, My Weather URLs for Met service images, or RSS news URLs, or other cool useful NZ stuff.

And has anyone got MP to plau this online weather report video that's updated 3x a day?

http://images.tvnz.co.nz/tvnz_video/windows/weather/flyby1_128k.asx

Can MP work to display to play online content like this?

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_index_skin/video_index_group

Tips and tricks appreciated.

:)

zxcvbnm2

Portal Pro
March 23, 2006
New Zealand/Whangarei
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I've been thinking the same thing about the tuner parameters. Who updates it for NZ they have changed since we have just changed to Optus D1.

You only need a tpl file with

Code:
satname=NZFTA on Optus D1 (160E)
12483,H,22500

if you only want the FTA channels with no sat radio.

I have been using the BDA driver for a few weeks now, it seems to work with less tuning problems and no need to install the PC server software now :)

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand

kiwilinc

February 1, 2007
Which Channels

If I ditch Sky completely, which current DIGITAL channels are free to air and able to be recieved.
Do we know roughly when the new free to air channels will be available?

Rhys.Goodwin

Portal Pro
November 20, 2006
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Right now:

TV1
TV2
TVNZ Test Channels:
Test 1 Bloomberg (Stock market channel very boring for most people!)
Test 2 DWTV 1/2 German/English (Ofteen interesting stuff on this channel)
Test 3 CCTV9 China Central TV (100% English, News channel and some Docos)
Test 4 TVNZ Wide (Playing end to end british show about home renovation at the moment; it will probably repeate the series a few times a then start palying something else. apprarently they were playing stargate for about 6 months a while ago!)
That about it. (On D1 anyway which is where you dish is pointing) a couple of weeks ago canwest did testing and you could see TV3 and C4 listed with full EPG data but no pic just a color bar test signal. they're gone now tho. Shows that things are happening. I wouldn't be suppriesd if we didn't see TV3 and C4 for 6-8 months :-( not that I really know tho, it could be sooner :) Keep an eye on this forum:

http://www.vetrun.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5653&page=16

I think the test channels will be probably be ditched soon, well that's what they are saying, but soon in freeview terms could be 2 years!! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom