CAM limit not always respected (1 Viewer)

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
December 9, 2005
Sweden
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
Under some circumstances the CAM limit for a certain card isn't respected. With the limit set to 1, MP starts a recording even though it's already timeshifting when both channels are on the same transponder. If the hardware doesn't support it the recording and/or the timeshifted channel might lose decryption.

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Set CAM limit to 1 and disable other tuners if available (not necessary but easier when testing)
2. Start timeshifting an encrypted channel
3. Try starting a recording on another encrypted channel on the same transponder as the channel in '2.'
4. Note that the CAM limit is ignored and that MP tries to tune the second channel as well

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Under some circumstances the CAM limit for a certain card isn't respected. With the limit set to 1, MP starts a recording even though it's already timeshifting when both channels are on the same transponder.
    In your example the channels are not just on the same transponder - they're one and the same channel. In other words, you start timeshifting on the channel, then you start recording it. The CAM is not being asked to decrypt two channels... so I don't see the problem.

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Sorry for being thick, but I don't understand. Are you saying that C More Hits HD and First HD are the same channel or that I somehow messed up my test and recorded the wrong channel (ie the same as I was timeshifting)?

//W

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have been playing around a lot with these settings in the past. I've got a dual-tuner and when i had my CAM limit undefined, it always conflicted between recordings & timeshifting.
    Since i've set the CAM limit to 1 and set only to decode 1 stream at a time, i've never seen conlifts. Every time a recording is planned, and i do not have a free card, the popup informs me that timeshifting has stopped due to a planned recording.

Long story short: i'm not able to reproduce this (1.5 + multi-seat)

Last edited:

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Attached are two new sets of logs.

As Before, I disabled all receivers but one and set the CAM limit to 1.

23.33 MP is started
    23.34 Starting timeshift on TV11 -> works
    23.35 Starting recording on 'sjuan' -> works
    23.36 MP is stopped
    Please see the first zip, untitled.png and 23-35-24.png.
    This works because 'TV11' and 'sjuan' aren't just on the same transponder but in fact are the same channel (in some respect)?

23.39 MP is started
    23.40 Recording is started on TV11 -> works
    23.41 Starting timeshift on 'sjuan' -> fails, no available cards
    23.42 MP is stopped

Please see the second zip and 23-41-33.png.
    If above is true then this should work as well, right?

//W

Attachments

• Untitled.png
      Untitled.png
      980.8 KB
    • 23-35-24.png
      23-35-24.png
      1 MB
    • 23-41-33.png
      23-41-33.png
      1,009.7 KB

relobe

July 30, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
    Under some circumstances the CAM limit for a certain card isn't respected. With the limit set to 1, MP starts a recording even though it's already timeshifting when both channels are on the same transponder. If the hardware doesn't support it the recording and/or the timeshifted channel might lose decryption.

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Set CAM limit to 1 and disable other tuners if available (not necessary but easier when testing)
    2. Start timeshifting an encrypted channel
    3. Try starting a recording on another encrypted channel on the same transponder as the channel in '2.'
    4. Note that the CAM limit is ignored and that MP tries to tune the second channel as well

Using MediaPortal 1.4.0 (multi-seat), I can reproduce this issue!

In my case the first and/or second channel loses the decryption as described above, due to the CAM not being able to decrypt multiple channels simultaneously. This likely explains why I sometimes end up with corrupt recordings -- I have simply started timeshifting a channel on the same transponder where a recording is already taking place.

Interestingly, the other way around works as it should: if a recording is under way and I start timeshifting another channel on the same transponder, the CAM limit is respected and thus the timeshift starts on the next available tuner.

Wbunaarf

Portal Pro
    December 9, 2005
    Sweden
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    In your example the channels are not just on the same transponder - they're one and the same channel.

Sorry for being thick, but I don't understand. Are you saying that C More Hits HD and First HD are the same channel or that I somehow messed up my test and recorded the wrong channel (ie the same as I was timeshifting)?

@mm1352000 - Could you please clarify?

//W

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom