Can a 35W TDP CPU handle passive cooling? (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I looked at those cases, and didnt like them (no good for my needs).

I want a case that can take a full ATX (and EATX) mobo, with 4 x 3.5 drives, 2 x 2.5" drives, full size graphic cards, several TV tuners, Bluray player.

As you can imagine its gonna be big (the design is maximising the space - thats for sure!)

It's no wider or deeper than my fusion case, it is just taller.

I had considered a separate TV server, but decided on a single unit.

J.

edterbak

Portal Pro
    March 4, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I own an Antec Fusion case. I have a AMD x2 245e (45W) stuck in it. The cooler I put on it is one from scythe ninja mini. I dont use a fan on that.
    In the case I have a 520W powersupply from corsair (very pleased with it!) which I dont hear!. The case comes with 2 x 120mm fans. I put two better ones in which run at ~600rpm which I dont hear as well.... I have put my ears next to the case, but its hard to hear. Temperatures are OK at all times. :) Perfect noiseless system for me.

I can imagine you can copy the same kind of setup for any case. Big heatsink/radiator on top of the cpu and one or two slow and noiseless fans near it. You DO need a little bit of air moving through the case. Chipset, GFX card, TV tuner cards and HDD's produces heat as well.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Found someone who sold the laptop cooling system so I now have active cooling without having to build a taller case.

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Not much to see yet as I'm still working on getting all the parts, but here are two pictues, took the pictures of my motherboard next to a mATX motherboard with standard AMD heatsink for some perspective. The red lines is my amzing paint skills, just added them to point out the heigth difference.

6e.jpg

6f.jpg

As you can see it opens up for a much slimmer case design.

This is just a prototype, and I'm hoping to build my first HTPCs with this design later this summer when Llano is out.

elsmandino

Portal Pro
    March 3, 2011
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi there,

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but I note that some of you are using similar CPU that I have a query over.

I currently have a Athlon IIx2 240e on a m-ATX Asus motherboard in my Antec NSK2480 in my living room - the computer is acting as both server and client for mediaportal.

What I want to do is build a very small separate client computer for the living room and a dedicated server. I also have an old P4 as my main computer that needs replacing.

I don't want to buy anything unnecessary and was thinking, originally, that I should use my HTPC computer as the replacement for the old P4 and build a new server from scratch, based upon a full-ATX board and a Core-i3 2100T chip.

However, you appear to be quite keen here on the 240e for your server. Would it perhaps be better to buy a new AMD ATX motherboard and put the 240e in there and then use the m-ATX for my main computer and put a new more powerful AMD chip in there instead?

funkstar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 9, 2005
    Home
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    As you can see it opens up for a much slimmer case design.

This is just a prototype, and I'm hoping to build my first HTPCs with this design later this summer when Llano is out.
    it certainly does that! Is that the actual motherboard you will be using? Where did you get it?

This looks like an extremely interesting build, very different from anything else I've seen :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I found the motherboard which normally sits in an aspire 5820TG and CPU on Ebay.

The plan was to build a first protitype on that board, but I'm having some problems tracking down a vital part which is the board where you plug in the power adapter, and the cable that connects that board to the laptop, so atm it's pretty useless. Unless I manage to find that part I'm gonna have to delay the build untill June/July when I can get my hands on a Llano latops to rebuild.

What I'm hoping to be able to build is a very minimalistic HTPC that looks good next to todays plasma and LCD TVs. I don't understand why the OEMs doesn't offer something like this. The closest thing I've seen is the Zotac Zacate box, but it still looks too tall to me, what I'm looking for is something more like a mix of a closed Macbook Air and a Samsung P4600 bluray player.

Or even better a Dell Adamo XPS. Basically I'm thinking slim, sexy and aluminium.

Users who are viewing this thread