Can MediaPortal work as a PVR for Satellite Boxes like DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

elvis56

Portal Pro
January 5, 2009
Home Country
Canada Canada
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: StreamedMP
Windows Version: XP MC Edition Serv Pk 3
CPU Type: Pent Dual Core E5200 2.5Ghz
HDD:
Memory: 2.00 Ram
Motherboard: ASUS P5N3-AM
Video Card: RADEON 3450
Video Card Driver: 08.12
Sound Card: VIA High Def Audio
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver: 6,0,01,1450
1. TV Card: TV @nywhere Plus
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec: PDVD8
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA Decoder Filter
h.264 Video Codec: H264 DiVx Video Decoder
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply:
Remote:
TV: LG 42PC3D-UD
TV - HTPC Connection:

Hi everyone,

I have been searching the net but have no luck still. I have MediaPortal setup great for Movies/TV Shows/Music etc etc. Working Great!

Now I would like to complete the package and use it as a TV - PVR. We have DirecTV with a Hughes Receiver set up for TV. Are there instructions anywhere on how to set this up? My TV Card has a CATV input as well as AV_in/Out Connector. I tried setting up regular cable but could not get it to work. Are there any newbie instructions for us technical illiterates lol :oops:

Thanks very much

CorruptByte

Portal Member
April 25, 2006
Miami, FL
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm using my MP install with DirecTV just fine. You'll need the 1.72 version of dtvcontrol to change channels via command prompt using a serial cable if your set top box has that capability (DirecTV Serial Control Utility). If you can't find that version just use one of those website archive sites to go back in history for the link I gave you.

Then you'll need a plugin for the tv server called ExtChannelChanger and you'll need to subscribe to SchedulesDirect and download the schedules direct plugin. The subscription is ridiculously cheap... like $15 per year and it'll give you all the guide data. If you don't have the ability to control your receiver via serial port, then you'll need an IR blaster and the appropriate plugin.

You set up the channels you receive on schedulesdirect.com and then configure the plugin. The channels automatically get set up and you will need to associate them to your tvcard. I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 with my DTV receiver plugged into the S-Video port and an RCA to stereo mini going into the TV card for the sound. This will only work for standard definition tv shows. If you want HD, you'll need an ATSC card to pull your locals over the air as a second tuner. The only other alternative out there for HD right now is the Hauppague HD PVR for which garry has a thread going in an attempt to integrate support for this new hardware. Currently it is still beta, but he can use all the support he can get.

ejkeebler

Portal Member
January 24, 2008
Home Country
Ok I am considering making the jump to direct tv from basic cable. From reading a few threads it seems there are a few people doing it, and my question is not how do you do it, but how does it fit together.

I mean from reading this thread it seems like I really won't even be able to tell I have the directv box connected to my machine, but I don't exactly understand how.

I'm guessing it works basically like this:

the box is connected and media portal really only has 1 channel it can record from. However you add the guide data, select a channel, media portal changes the direct tv channel (through some serial connection) accordingly, but really is still just that one channel it sees? Does this mean if I would need to get 2 boxes setup to record 2 channels at once? Also is the recording and playback in HD?

If this is the case, I think I can just skip getting the HD-DVR's?

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    There is a one to one alignment between the DirecTV STB and your capture card. If you buy the 1212 it will capture HD from your DirecTV HD STB, if you opt for a non HD capture (analog using S-Video) you'll only see the DirecTV downconverted output which is not HD. If you want to record two at a time you need DOUBLE the STB and capture cards! If you can receive OTA in your area then buying an AverMedia Duet will allow you to record TWO OTA ATSC networks at once (no DirecTV required). This is where MP shines - its ability to record OTA. Playback is just that - SD is SD and HD is HD.

Before you jump, what CLEAR QAM stations (digital and possibly in HD) can you tune directly off your basic cable? Have you hooked up a QAM tuner to it and seen? Whatever they are passing will be tunable via the AverMedia (or others) to record without changing anything! Grab a card and try it - it's under $50 and you can see for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom