Can not see shared disk on my local network (1 Viewer)

mperezm77

Portal Member
August 24, 2009
Hi all,

I've installed MediaPortal-2__origin__Weekly_20160108__2016-01-16--19-26, and I'm facing problems when I try to Add a Media source located on my Local Network.

Mediaportal 2 is installed on a Windows 10 (single-seat) and my media souce is installed on a Windows 7. I can see the media source from my windows 10 but I can't see it within mediaportal.

There is a note the says "The home server is located at the same machine, so only server media sources can be configured"? Does it means that a single-seat system can not access to media located on a different computer from the same network?

Is there any tutorial or manual I could follow to properly setup my system?

Thanks,

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

mperezm77

Portal Member
    August 24, 2009
    I'm not using any password.

Attached some logs, but don't know wheter they are going to be useful or not.

With Mediaportal 1.13 I don't have any issue. And the only difference is that Mediaportal 1.13 is installed on the other computer, the one I want to have access.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    On 1/31 I see you added all your movies from drives E: and F:
    I do not see where you went into the Client and Checked for you movies under the Movies or Videos buttons.

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Hi mperezm77,
    There is a note the says "The home server is located at the same machine, so only server media sources can be configured"? Does it means that a single-seat system can not access to media located on a different computer from the same network?
    No. "Server Media Source" just means that the media source is accessed from the MP2-Server - but it may be located on a local drive of the MP2-Server Computer or on a shared drive/Folder in the Network. The opposite is a "Client Media Source". Imagine you have MP2-Server and MP2-Client installed on different computers, on your MP2-Client computer's local drive is a folder with music files and this folder is not accessible via a Windows shared dive/folder. In this case, you cannot use a Server Media Source to access the files, because there is no way to do so. You need to start the MP2-Client on that computer and add a Client Media Source.
    But as soon as you make this folder accessible in the network with a Windows shared drive/folder, it is recommendable to use a Server Media Source.

From your logs I cannot see that you even tried to add a shared driver/folder as a Media Source.
    So to make sure you're trying the right thing:
    You go to Settings => Media sources => Media sources configuration => Add media source
    Then it says "Choose media source", where you have two choices for Server Media Sources: "Local filesystem" and "Network neighborhood". There you obviously need to choose "Network neighborhood" and click on "Continue". Now - after a while of waiting (while MP2 scans your network for available computers) you should see all your network computers and be able to navigate to your shared folder/driver in order to add it as Media Source.
    If you cannot see all your network computers at this point, please close MP2-Client and post the MP2-Server log here.

Hope that helps...

mperezm77

Portal Member
    August 24, 2009
    Hi mperezm77,
    No. "Server Media Source" just means that the media source is accessed from the MP2-Server - but it may be located on a local drive of the MP2-Server Computer or on a shared drive/Folder in the Network. The opposite is a "Client Media Source". Imagine you have MP2-Server and MP2-Client installed on different computers, on your MP2-Client computer's local drive is a folder with music files and this folder is not accessible via a Windows shared dive/folder. In this case, you cannot use a Server Media Source to access the files, because there is no way to do so. You need to start the MP2-Client on that computer and add a Client Media Source.
    But as soon as you make this folder accessible in the network with a Windows shared drive/folder, it is recommendable to use a Server Media Source.

From your logs I cannot see that you even tried to add a shared driver/folder as a Media Source.
    So to make sure you're trying the right thing:
    You go to Settings => Media sources => Media sources configuration => Add media source
    Then it says "Choose media source", where you have two choices for Server Media Sources: "Local filesystem" and "Network neighborhood". There you obviously need to choose "Network neighborhood" and click on "Continue". Now - after a while of waiting (while MP2 scans your network for available computers) you should see all your network computers and be able to navigate to your shared folder/driver in order to add it as Media Source.
    If you cannot see all your network computers at this point, please close MP2-Client and post the MP2-Server log here.

Hope that helps...

I tried to follow your instructions with no luck. When I try to choose the media source I can see my network computer, but not the shared folders on it.
    I've also tried to map some network units which link to my shared folders and connect to them using the "Local filesystem" option but no luck neither.

See attached log files and 2 screenshots to try to explain what I tried.

Screenshot named "Option 1. Network neighborhood"

My shared computer name is: HTPC-PC
    My shared Folders are: Musica, Peliculas HD, Peliculas SD, and Series. And a folder cleed Users created by Windows whit is the only one that Mediaportal is able to see.

Then I mapped 4 network unit (W:/, X:/, Y:/ and Z:/) which I tried to acces using the "Local filesystem" with also no luck. Mediaportla only see my local units C:/, D:/, E:/ and F:/

Screenshot named "Option 2. Local filesystem"

Any idea about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Option 1. Network neighborhood.jpg
      Option 1. Network neighborhood.jpg
      547.7 KB
    • Option 2. Local filesystem.jpg
      Option 2. Local filesystem.jpg
      526 KB

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Thanks for trying!
    First of all, LocalFileSystem will not work with mapped network drives. This is only for "real" local drives.
    NetworkNeighborhood "should" work - My suspicion is that for some reason - although you mention that you don't use a password - it requires credentials to be entered.
    Can you try to go to Settings => Server settings => Network credentials
    Then check "Use username and password to access network"
    Enter a Username and Password that is valid on HTPC-PC and has access to your shred folders; then click "OK".
    Then try adding a NetworkNeighborhood Media Source again as you did above.

mperezm77

Portal Member
    August 24, 2009
    Thanks for trying!
    First of all, LocalFileSystem will not work with mapped network drives. This is only for "real" local drives.
    NetworkNeighborhood "should" work - My suspicion is that for some reason - although you mention that you don't use a password - it requires credentials to be entered.
    Enter a Username and Password that is valid on HTPC-PC and has access to your shred folders; then click "OK".

The network mapped drives "trick" works on my other system using both MP1 and MP2.

I don't use any password neither on neither of my two computers and I dont have any username to try what you suggest. But I'm able to access to my shared folders from Windows explorer with no problems.
    I don't know what to try....Maybe I will try to create a new account and see what happens...

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Home Country
    The screenshots are a current import I did from a Client only machine and telling the Server to import a Local Folder.
    If any of the machines on the network can be seen thru this method, once the import is complete, all clients can access the media.

Importer_01.jpg Importer_02.jpg Importer_03.jpg Importer_04.jpg

mperezm77

Portal Member
    August 24, 2009
    Thanks for trying!

After I tried to create a new account on the computer with the shared folders (HTPC-PC\mediaportal), I'm able to see them from mediaportal. But when I try play any shared file mediaportal crashes. Attached log files.

And as side effect, I'm forced to select an user every time I restart the computer with the shared folder. Which I would like to avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom