Can not watch tv from remote clients (1 Viewer)

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
For some reason i am not able to watch tv from MP remote clients, the MP client on the tv server works fine.
When trying to watch from any of the MP remote clients i get the error (unable to play stream 3.x). Ive tried this on all 3 remote clients with the same results.
I have also tried with the firewall turned off with same result.

Attachments

• MP Remote client.zip
    42 KB
  • TV server client and server.zip
    245.8 KB

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
Thanks for the link but it was no help as i can access shares on the server from the clients without issue.
Also in the MediaPortal configuration MediaPortal client can connect to the tv server.

Last edited:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    MediaPortal configuration
    Mediaortal Configuration work on UAC level (Administrator) This is a different profile and other access rights, especially to network resources.
    There are no other errors in the log file, it is necessary to solve the problem with this error, how it will disappear, either it will work or another error will appear, then we will see how to solve it.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Well i tried all the suggestions on the pages for that search and nothing helped.
    I can still play videos and tv series and from the server so i guess that will have to do for now.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @TLD
    Solving this problem will require a bit of networking knowledge.

According to the remote client's TsReader log file:
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,711] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CTsReaderFilter::Load(), open rtsp:rtsp://192.168.0.100:757/stream3.0
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,711] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::OpenStream()
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,711] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::OpenStream(): create RTSP client, url = rtsp://192.168.0.100:757/stream3.0
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,711] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::confused:tartBufferThread()
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,711] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::confused:tartBufferThread(): done
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,712] [144E2688] [2850] - CRTSPClient::ThreadProc(): thread started, thread ID = 10320
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,748] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::OpenStream(): duration = 1.883000 s
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,756] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::OpenStream(): created receiver for sub-session, medium name = video, codec name = MP2T, port = 63310
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,756] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::confused:etupStreams()
    [2020-01-31 06:48:56,756] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::confused:etupStreams(): send RTSP SETUP
    [2020-01-31 06:48:57,256] [144E2688] [2bf8] - CRTSPClient::confused:etupStreams(): RTSP SETUP timed out

So, the client is not able to setup an RTSP connection with the server at 192.168.0.100 on port 757.

However, according to the server's streaming server log file this should have worked:
    [2020-01-31 06:38:26,670] [1274] - Stream server:confused:etup stream server for ip: 192.168.0.100:757

In my experience the most common cause of such problems is firewalls blocking the connection.

(P.S. I note that 757 is not the standard RTSP port. The default port is 554. I'm assuming you changed that intentionally for some reason.)

I have also tried with the firewall turned off with same result.
    You say "firewall" [singular] here, but in many cases both server and clients will have firewalls.
    I'd respectfully suggest to try this test again, taking care to:
    • disable firewalls on both client and server
    • restart MediaPortal on the client and TV Server on the server after disabling the firewall (to be sure, you could restart Windows)

Thanks for the link but it was no help as i can access shares on the server from the clients without issue.
    Also in the MediaPortal configuration MediaPortal client can connect to the tv server.
    This is fine and good, but doesn't really clarify the issue at hand. Firewalls can be configured to allow certain access (eg. shares, TV control) while blocking other access (eg. TV streaming).

To be clear, the MediaPortal configuration connectivity test is checking the TV control connection (port 31456). It doesn't check the RTSP connection.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Yes I did change the port to 757.

I did turn off the firewall on the server and the remote client i was using, the other two remote clients have the same problem but if i can get one remote clinet to work then i think all will work. I think it's a problem with the TV server as i can not watch TV or recorded tv but i can watch videos and tv series that are on shares on the server with the remote clients.

I will try turning off the windows firewalls again and restarting as i don't remember if i restarted both last time.

Apparently I have had this problem for at least a month as i tried the cloned HD that i made at the beginning of January and had the same problem. I don't watch TV on the remote clients often, the server is hooked to the TV in my living room.

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    Here is some info about the setup.
    I'm not using windows "homegroup", all computers are in the same workgroup with the same user name, all machines are running Windows 10 home 64, the network is set to private on all machines

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I did turn off the firewall on the server and the remote client i was using...
    Okay.

...the other two remote clients have the same problem but if i can get one remote clinet to work then i think all will work.
    Yes, I agree.

I think it's a problem with the TV server as i can not watch TV or recorded tv but i can watch videos and tv series that are on shares on the server with the remote clients.
    The ability to access shares shows that the link between the machines is okay. I would further add that the log files show that the tune request from the remote client also makes it to the TV Server no problem. The issue is specifically around either the client's ability to access the stream from the server, or the server's ability to provide the stream to the client.

I will try turning off the windows firewalls again and restarting as i don't remember if i restarted both last time.
    Thanks.

By the way, do you remember whether the log files you previously collected were with firewalls off or on?
    If you don't remember, or if the log files were collected with firewalls on, would you mind collecting new log files with firewalls off after the restart?

Here is some info about the setup.
    I'm not using windows "homegroup", all computers are in the same workgroup with the same user name, all machines are running Windows 10 home 64, the network is set to private on all machines
    To be honest I don't fully understand the implications of this as I don't spend a whole lot of time dealing with Windows networking. However I think it's probably fine.

One additional test you could do is to try to view the TV stream on the remote client using other software:
    1. On the TV Server machine:
      1. Open TV Server Configuration.
      2. Go to the "manual control" section.
      3. Select a channel that you know works, and click "start timeshifting".
      4. Click "open log directory" (top left corner).
      5. Leaving TV Server Configuration open in the background, find and open "streaming server.log" from the list of files in the new window using your preferred text editor (notepad, wordpad etc.).
      6. Navigate to the end of the file, then search upward for the last instance of a line containing "Stream server: url for stream is rtsp://...".
    2. On the remote client:
      1. Download and install VLC. (You're welcome to try different software if you're more familiar with or prefer something else. I only suggest VLC because it is fairly well known, reliable, and free, and I know it supports RTSP streams.)
      2. Run VLC.
      3. Click "media" -> "open network stream". (I'm using an older version of VLC, so it's possible that the menu labels have changed a little.)
      4. Enter the "rtsp://..." URL from step 6 above.
      5. Click play, and see whether it works.
    Hope the above idea and instructions are clear. If not, don't hesitate to ask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom