Cannot change custom recording path (1 Viewer)

bobbyfox

May 16, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I cannot change the custom path for recordings. In the "Custom paths and filenames" tab of the recordings section of TV-Server, when I select "User custom value" from the format combo box, the text box is greyed out. Any ideas? I'm using 1.14.0.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The path can be changed on the tab "Folders". Note that you need to set the path for each of your TV cards or click "Same recording path for all cards" after defining one.

bobbyfox

May 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Thanks for your response. I had already succesfully set the base folder for all recordings on the "Folders" tab. But now I'm trying to customize the subfolder/filename for the individual recordings using the tags show at the bottom of the "Custom paths and filenames" tab. For instance, I want all shows on station KABC to be saved in a folder named KABC by using the %channel% tag in the file path.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For instance, I want all shows on station KABC to be saved in a folder named KABC by using the %channel% tag in the file path.
    Apologies, I misunderstood what you were after. However, I have no problem here in my own setup of MP 1.14 to change my naming in the "Format" dialogue. Are you sure that you are looking at the right line? User input goes right below the [User custom value] - the line where it says "%title% - %date%-...".

P.S.: While you can add the station to the recording's file name, I don't think that you can actually create a subfolder for each station. Recordings will all be in the same folder, regardless of the station name.

P.P.S.: I do remember that there had been a possibility in the pasdt to create subfolders. Syntax was something like [name]\%date% etc. but I have not checked if this is still working.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    P.S.: While you can add the station to the recording's file name, I don't think that you can actually create a subfolder for each station.
    This should be possible. As it says in the TV Server Config user interface: "Use blockquotes[] to specify optional fields and \\ for relative paths".
    So, if you want recordings organised into sub-folders by channel:
    1. Select format "[user custom value]".
    2. Specify format "%channel%\\...".
    Remember that there is a separate format setting for movies/one-offs and series. So, you can configure different sub-folder structures... or have them the same.

bobbyfox

May 16, 2016
    Home Country
    Thank you both for your help. This is odd, but after rebooting my PC, the problem went away. The text box is now no longer greyed out and my recordings are being named correctly. On a similar note, I was also having a problem with PowerScheduler. The next wake time was not being populated with the time of the next recording, so my PC was not waking up to record. And again, after rebooting my PC, PowerScheduler is working correctly as well. There was a large Windows update that was pending a restart, and I wonder if that was causing the issues.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    This is odd, but after rebooting my PC, the problem went away.
    Biting my butt here ;). Whenever we call our IT helpdesk they would ask us whether we tried to reboot...

There was a large Windows update that was pending a restart, and I wonder if that was causing the issues.
    That's possible. The update has certainly exchanged some files while others were still pending because they were in use. So in essence anytime WIndows prompts you to restart the PC, it may well be in some kind of in-between status with unpredictable behavior.

Anyway, glad you were able to sort it out.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @bobbyfox
    I'm certain that TV Server must be restarted in order for plugins like PowerScheduler to be fully enabled, and I think TV Server would need to be restarted in order for changes to the recording folder and/or naming format to take effect. A PC restart would also trigger a TV Server restart...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom