cannot learn IR codes - "failed to learn IR" (1 Viewer)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Interesting.

I have seen this before where it will allow one learn and then no more until you restart configuration. All I can put it down to is something else stealing the connection to the IR device...

Are you running TV Server? If you are, do you run the test plugin I wrote called TV3MceBlaster?

Are you using Girder or HIP? Any other IR related software?

If something else is opening a handle to the IR device then it will close the handle that the plugin has opened. This makes the plugin useless until it is forced to reconnect (by restarting configuration).

I could try to add some code that forces a reconnect ... But that could get very messy. We'll get you sorted out, it might take a little mucking around, but we will get there.

Cheers,

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2004
    thanks for the explanation. I will check this when I'm back at home.
    I'm running TV server on a different machine; on the Mediaportal system there is only the TV server client plugin.

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2004
    I disconnected my infrared keyboard again and rebooted. Then I checked windows device manager; there are serveral entries related to the MCE as "HID device" and one "unknown HID device". The "unknown HID" remains even when I disconnect the MCE and the infrared keyboard.

I assume that the "unknown HID" stands for an internal receiver for the Apple remote; since I use the MacMini it would be a logical explanation.
    So on first sight that could be the reason for the weird behaviour; perhaps that Apple remote receiver disturbs the MCE receiver somewhat... but then another question occurs: why does the MCE work perfectly with the MP build in MCE support, but not with the MCE replacement plugin (remember: when using the MCE replacement plugin one press on a MCE key results in two actions in Mediaportal).

I think next action for me is to install the latest Apple drivers, perhaps that "unknown HID" will be gone then. I will try to do it on the weekend.

If you have any other idea in the meantime I will be glad to read it :)

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well usually the double-press problem is solved by disabling mediaportal's built in MCE remote support and by going into the plugin setup and clicking Map Buttons and then Remove Replacement Buttons ...

Have you tried that?

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2004
    I installed the latest Apple drivers. Now the device manager is clean, no "unknown device" anymore. Unfortunately, it made no difference for my "learning failed" problem .

Beside that I have a question: as you know I could learn one IR command. When I test it, the red light at the little device connected via cable to the MCE box (is that being called "blaster"?) lights up, but nothing happens: I learned the "power on" command for my receiver, and I place the little mce device right in front of the receiver. But when testing the command, the receiver does not power up.

Do I misunderstand something? Why does the little device lights up in red, why can I see that when infrared light is not visible to eyes?
    Sorry if the question is dump, but I have no documentation for the MCE device at all.

and-81

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 7, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    The blaster (also called an IR bug, sometimes called an IR bud) will light up red when it is transmitting, this is a feature of the MCE IR bugs so that you can see when it's doing something.

The IR Bugs have a small adhesive patch on the back for attaching them to the device you want to control, you need to make sure that this area is in direct contact with the device. They only work over a very short distance, unlike a remote control.

If the bug is flashing red then it's transmitting. If your device doesn't respond then something has gone wrong. You can try re-learning the IR command, or trying a different blaster speed setting.

good luck,

andyd

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2007
    Auckland
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    dude,

Ok I have realised that you are running a mac, so here is some advice that I give to my clients who want to do strange stuff with Mac hardware.

Firstly, you are running a machine designed to run OSX 10.X not windows. So BIOS compatibility is 100% in Windows favour. I have seen issues with Mac hardware running Windows based applications that access hardware. But run fine on a true Wintel environment. Sorry to say that but I have seen it a few times.

UPDATE the BIOS, find the lastest BIOS from Apple and install it. It may help. In fact in a windows world a BIOS update can resolve some very strange faults.

Did you install the lastest MS drivers for this remote or using the the replacement driver?

Other then that, does the hardware work on other hardware? It may help to test this on a working PC to see that it is not a hardware fault.

I installed the latest Apple drivers. Now the device manager is clean, no "unknown device" anymore. Unfortunately, it made no difference for my "learning failed" problem .

Beside that I have a question: as you know I could learn one IR command. When I test it, the red light at the little device connected via cable to the MCE box (is that being called "blaster"?) lights up, but nothing happens: I learned the "power on" command for my receiver, and I place the little mce device right in front of the receiver. But when testing the command, the receiver does not power up.

Do I misunderstand something? Why does the little device lights up in red, why can I see that when infrared light is not visible to eyes?
    Sorry if the question is dump, but I have no documentation for the MCE device at all.

JulianBuss

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2004
    yes, you are right, I will test it on my notebook, too.
    I do not use the replacement driver.
    Are there any special drivers for this remote from Microsoft? I didn't find any, and there where no drivers coming with the hardware.
    Beside that, it works perfectly with the standard Mediaportal MCE support.

We will see; I will test it on the notebook in the evening and then we will see. Nevertheless a big THANK YOU for your support :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom