Cannot play channel check log detail (1 Viewer)

Techsmith_solutions

Portal Member
July 26, 2015
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I've successfully installed and configured MP. I've been able to watch channels on both the client and the server end. However, I'm not able to play channels ranging from 22-500. It seems as though only the 1000 channels which are HD channels with cox are playing. Whenever I try these channels from the client or server I get an error that says "channel cannot be played check error log for details"

I've uploaded the log files.

How would I fix this?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome! :)

I see 5 tune requests in your log file:
    1. OWN (119) - failed
    2. WBRLHD (1010) - successful
    3. TNTHD (1028) - successful
    4. AMCHD (1029) - successful
    5. TOONHD (1033) - successful
    Right so far?

Question: does COX use switched digital video (SDV) in your area? In other words, do you have a tuning adaptor (TA) - also known as a tuning resolver (TR) - connected to your tuner?

Regards,
    mm

Techsmith_solutions

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello and welcome! :)

I see 5 tune requests in your log file:
    1. OWN (119) - failed
    2. WBRLHD (1010) - successful
    3. TNTHD (1028) - successful
    4. AMCHD (1029) - successful
    5. TOONHD (1033) - successful
    Right so far?

Question: does COX use switched digital video (SDV) in your area? In other words, do you have a tuning adaptor (TA) - also known as a tuning resolver (TR) - connected to your tuner?

Regards,
    mm

@mm1352000 Is there any information that you have on using SDV and a tuning adapter that I should use to fix this issue. Also, I've notice that the tuner cards are showing unknown where ATSC for TYPE column sometimes which cause the channels to not appear on my client pvr end.

Techsmith_solutions

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    It seems as though most of my channels I'm supposed to get from Cox are showing in the channel guide and tv channels in MP tv-server. However, I can only watch the HD channels for some reason. Most of the SD channels are not working. When I try them from either server or client (Kodi) I get the error "Cannot play channel check log detail". I'm using cox and I have a tuning adapter installed. I'm using a ceton infinitv 6 pci. Log files are listed below

Techsmith_solutions

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    The tuner card I'm using working properly. I check the diagnostics (ceton infinitv 6 pci). But from time to time I lose my channels because the tuner type is showing unknown in the TV-server configuration. I tried to replace the dll's which was given in a previous thread. But, this seems to only patch the issue not fix it.

Any definite fixes?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    @Techsmith_solutions
    Please be aware that most of us work on MP in our spare time. That means getting an answer will sometimes take awhile. Starting new threads doesn't help to get an answer faster. We'd appreciate your patience. :)

To answer your questions...
    Is there any information that you have on using SDV and a tuning adapter that I should use to fix this issue.
    Yes. I'm aware that MP is not always able to handle SDV channels smoothly. There is a workaround of sorts, but it isn't exactly... pleasant.

Let's use OWN as an example to describe the workaround.

Open the Ceton tuner web page, select any tuner, and go to "tuner" sub-tab (the section where you can test/tune a channel).
    http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/03/infinitv417md.jpg

Enter the OWN channel number (119) and click "set channel".
    Note the program number in the lower area.
    Open TV Server Configuration.
    Navigate to the TV Channels section.
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/TV-Server_Configuration/03_TV_Channels

Locate the OWN channel.
    Double click on the channel or select it (single click) and click "edit".
    Select the tuning detail in the lower area of the dialog box and click "edit".
    You should now see a dialog that looks like this:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/@a..._TV_Channels_-_Add_Edit_ATSC_Tuningdetail.png

Change the service ID to match the program number that you noted in the Ceton tuner web page.
    Click OK and OK to close the 2 dialogs.

After this process the channel should work. Because of the nature of SDV, unfotunately there's no guarantee that the channel won't stop working at some point... and then you would have to repeat the process to make the channel work again.

Like I said, I'm aware this is not ideal, but at this point there's nothing else that would make those channels work for you.

Also, I've notice that the tuner cards are showing unknown where ATSC for TYPE column sometimes which cause the channels to not appear on my client pvr end.
    As described in the wiki, when tuners show with type "unknown" it generally means either "tuner not detected", "tuner not supported" or "tuner not working/installed correctly". In your case it means "tuner not detected".

You may well see CableCARD tuners listed as "unknown" if [for example] you trigger a TV Server restart or reboot the tuner. That's simply because it can take 5 or 10 seconds for a CableCARD tuner to be detected. However, the label should not be persistent. For example, the tuners should show as normal (ATSC) if you wait 30 seconds and reopen TV Server configuration.

I tried to replace the dll's which was given in a previous thread. But, this seems to only patch the issue not fix it.
    Are you talking about this patch?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...for-mediaportal-1.112585/page-63#post-1056643

If so, then yes it is recommended. I don't understand what you mean by "patch not fix". The patch is intended to be a fix.

Techsmith_solutions

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    @mm1352000

@Techsmith_solutions
    Please be aware that most of us work on MP in our spare time. That means getting an answer will sometimes take awhile. Starting new threads doesn't help to get an answer faster. We'd appreciate your patience. :)

I appreciate your response I didn't know if you were aware of my response. Sorry if I a came off as if I was rushing you in any way

I'll give it a try to get these channels working.

@Techsmith_solutions

As described in the wiki, when tuners show with type "unknown" it generally means either "tuner not detected", "tuner not supported" or "tuner not working/installed correctly". In your case it means "tuner not detected".

You may well see CableCARD tuners listed as "unknown" if [for example] you trigger a TV Server restart or reboot the tuner. That's simply because it can take 5 or 10 seconds for a CableCARD tuner to be detected. However, the label should not be persistent. For example, the tuners should show as normal (ATSC) if you wait 30 seconds and reopen TV Server configuration.

Are you talking about this patch?
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...for-mediaportal-1.112585/page-63#post-1056643

If so, then yes it is recommended. I don't understand what you mean by "patch not fix". The patch is intended to be a fix.

Yes, I am talking about the patch at https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...for-mediaportal-1.112585/page-63#post-1056643

However, I have to repeat this process every couple of days. No disrespect at all. I was just wondering if there was anything to avoid having to continue to repeat this.

Thanks

Techsmith_solutions

Portal Member
    July 26, 2015
    Home Country
    @mm1352000 Would you know why some of my channels are not showing up. I've done a scanned a couple of times. I'm using a ceton infinitv 6 pci with Cox and I should get a total of 220 channels but the scan only pulls 171 channels in.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again

That's an SDV thing too. With CableCARD tuners, the tuner itself can talk to the tuning adaptor/resolver and get the full/proper lineup details. We can only talk to the tuner, and not the tuning adaptor/resolver. That means we're forced to rely on the tuner passing along the lineup details. It seems that both Ceton and Silicondust haven't thought this through, and we're not actually able to get a proper lineup. :(

As with the previous non-working channels: there's a workaround... which isn't so pleasant. You can create channels manually.
    1. Open TV Server Configuration.
    2. Go to the TV Channels section.
    3. Click "add" in the channels area.
    4. Enter the channel name and number.
    5. Click "add".
    6. Select ATSC and click OK.
    7. You should now see this dialog: http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/@a..._TV_Channels_-_Add_Edit_ATSC_Tuningdetail.png
      1. By definition physical channel number is not fixed for SDV. I'd just use the channels virtual channel number (eg. OWN was 119).
      2. Frequency is also not fixed, so just put in the channel number.
      3. Major channel number should be the channel's virtual channel number.
      4. Minor channel number should be zero.
      5. Modulation should be 256 QAM.
      6. Put in zero for source ID and transport stream ID. You're not going to be able to find these values, and they don't matter too much.
      7. Get service ID from the tuner web page, same as you have done with other SDV channels.
      8. PMT PID needs to be zero.
      9. Provider can be anything you like.
      10. Free to air should be unticked, since the channels are encrypted.
    8. Click OK and OK.
    After creating all the channels you need to create:
    1. Expand the TV Channels section and click on TV Mapping.
    2. Select your first tuner up the top.
    3. Select all channels on the left.
    4. Click > to map (tells TV Server that it can use the tuner to tune the channel).
    5. Repeat (2) to (4) for all other tuners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom