cannot playback dvr-ms files with internal or external player via MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

Paul-CYT

January 12, 2015
Northamptonshire (Sandy Heath Signal)
Home Country
England England
Hi folks, I've been using MP for over a year now (replaced WMC on Win7). I'm just setting up new hardware/fresh install and would like to iron out a problem that I had on my old system and new system (had hoped a fresh install would cure this).... so here is my first post.

We have a lot of dvr-ms files left over from Windows Media Centre days (most of them would have been created as WTV and then converted to dvr-ms)

-They will not play through MediaPortal using the Internal Player
-- Result - Onscreen message: Unable to play file [filename] - Video Codec: MPEG VIDEO VERSION 2
-- Log - [MPMain ] [ERROR] - Failed filter: Decrypt/Tag not found
-- Things I've done - Fiddled with video codecs, installed ffdshow, installed cyberlink power dvd - No change

-They will not play through MediaPortal using the External Player (Cyberlink or VLC)
-- Result - Onscreen message: Unable to play file [filename] - Video Codec: MPEG VIDEO VERSION 2
-- Confused - Expected the external player to launch and not see this MediaPortal message box

- They will play if
-- Opened directly with Windows Media Player
-- Opened directly with VLC
-- Opened directly with Cyberlink Power DVD 14
-- Opened directly with GraphStudio

- Other video types such as avi will playback using internal and external players.
-- This proves the configuration of the external player command is correct

I have attached to this post three log files which match the tests scenarios above.
Do let me know if you also want the normal log .zip

This thread discribes the problem, but does not come to a full conclusion:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/not-playing-dvr-ms-files.100271/

Many thanks for you help and a huge thanks for all the contributors of MediaPortal,

--Paul[DOUBLEPOST=1421102149][/DOUBLEPOST]FYI, tried this but no change:
http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ration/9_Codecs_and_Renderer/PowerDVD_Decoder

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I'm just setting up new hardware/fresh install and would like to iron out a problem that I had on my old system and new system (had hoped a fresh install would cure this). We have a lot of dvr-ms files left over from Windows Media Centre days (most of them would have been created as WTV and then converted to dvr-ms). They will not play through MediaPortal using the Internal Player
    I migrated from Windows Media Center four months ago, and installed MediaPortal 1.9.0 pre. As far as I remember, the default configuration supports the playback of DVR-MS files, without having to make any changes. WTV files are supported too. Certainly I have no problems replaying the DVR-MS files in my recordings library.

I note that you converted your WTV files to DVR-MS, and I wonder whether that created DVR-MS files that are not quite valid? Windows 7 contains a WTV converter tool ("wtvconverter.exe"), which one would expect to produce valid DVR-MS files. Did you use that or something else?

The only problem that I found with MP 1.9.0 pre is that it does not remember the resume point for partially-played DVR-MS files (but I believe that this is fixed in MP 1.10.0).

I don't understand codecs and such, so will have to leave it up to someone else to look at your logs, but don't give up hope -- DVR-MS files are playable in MP! :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom