Cannot record "HDPVR: timed out waiting for PMT" (1 Viewer)

Shay1000

Portal Member
December 19, 2011
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi,

I am using MediaPortal 1.2.1, with Hauppauge HDPVR. In the last few days, I am not able to record TV.
The log is full of lines like :
HDPVR: timed out waiting for PMT after 10.000572 seconds
Giving up waiting for PMT. You might need to increase the PMT timeout value.
scheduler: recording failed, lets try next available card.

It looks similar to below bug, but I guess that is already integrated:
0003457: The Hauppauge HDPVR does not work with current SVN. - MediaPortal Bugtracker

Does anyone has any idea what might cause this. Any direction for investigation? Any info I can provide?

Thanks!

EDIT :
After a shutdown and general restart, things seem to work ok now.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Shay1000

I'd recommend that you:
    1. Make sure you're using the latest driver from Hauppauge's website -->here<--.
    2. Ensure that you specify the video *and* audio source for all of your channel tuning details.

mm

Shay1000

Portal Member
    December 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi mm,

Thanks. I have the latest driver installed. I have both Video and Audio input defined.
    But I still not able to record. Now even the reboot does not help.

I have attached the log. Please let me know if you can suggest what might cause this.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

So you're using the composite (yellow) video connector with the RCA (red and white) audio connectors?

Something strange is going on there. In the logs I see that TV Server attempts to start recording. On the first attempt it encounters the PMT error (meaning that the stream is not being received from the HD-PVR), and then every subsequent attempt (TV Server retries many times) gives the following error:

2012-01-02 22:43:42.221654 [scheduler thread(10)]: HDPVR: RunGraph returns:0x8007001F

The blaster is also failing:

2012-01-02 22:43:42.347662 [Remote blaster(13)]: HCWBlaster: UIR_GotoChannel() failed: 1

I'm sorry, I don't know what is going on there for sure but it sorta looks like the kinds of errors that I see when a tuner is being controlled by other software. Do you recall if you installed any new software or Windows updates around the time when the problems started happening? I take it that the external box (STB or whatever) is still working correctly?

mm

Shay1000

Portal Member
    December 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi mm,

Yes I am using the composite and RCA audio.
    I am in the trial & error / setup phase, so I install new stuff. It could be very well that the system is too messed up now. I am definitely heading for OS re-install - probably this weekend.
    ( Currently I am in the phase of setting up Jenkins to make a nightly HandBrake batch conversion of the huge files into something that would be more easily streamed to the other clients ).
    Now the Jenkins job is ending very quickly, as nothing get recorded :)

My hunch is that the problem started few days ago, when I updated the Hauppauge's drivers.

Thank you very much for the log parsing and suggestions.
    I hope that after the OS re-install all will be working ok. I will put an update on this thread.

Thanks again.

Shay1000

Portal Member
    December 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi mm,

This is getting very frustrating :-(
    I re-installed Win7, latest Hauppagauge and MediaPortal 1.22

The HDPVR seems to work ok. From the CaptureModule.exe I am seeing the LiveTV ( with sound ) and it is also able to record. The IR blasting works ok too.

However in MP this is not working properly. Here is the current status:
    - Live TV is not working. I am not able to get the image. It says that there is no Program/Channel. Log says that "timed out waiting for PMT" again.
    - Recording is working - sort of. I set a program in the TVGuide for record. The blaster is working and the show IS being recorded. However the recording is without any sound. ( I cannot view live what is being recorded ).

I am getting the feeling this is mostly about too short timeout. When I tried to "Preview" a channel in the TV configuration, it failed twice but in the third try it did go to liveTV ( no sound :-( )
    How can I increate the PMT timeout value ( like the log suggests in "Giving up waiting for PMT. You might need to increase the PMT timeout value." )?
    What might be the reason for lacking of sound? I have audio input #1 set to the channel.

I really dont know what else to do, beside giving up...
    Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

- Live TV is not working. I am not able to get the image. It says that there is no Program/Channel. Log says that "timed out waiting for PMT" again.
    - Recording is working - sort of. I set a program in the TVGuide for record. The blaster is working and the show IS being recorded. However the recording is without any sound. ( I cannot view live what is being recorded ).
    The fact that sound is not being received suggests to me that the stream from the HD-PVR is incomplete - that TV Servers' input selection commands are not being applied properly on the crossbar for some reason. It could be because you've enabled preloading and "pause card". The "pause card" option in particular should be treated with extreme caution in my opinion. I would switch both of those back to defaults.

I am getting the feeling this is mostly about too short timeout. When I tried to "Preview" a channel in the TV configuration, it failed twice but in the third try it did go to liveTV ( no sound :-( )
    How can I increate the PMT timeout value ( like the log suggests in "Giving up waiting for PMT. You might need to increase the PMT timeout value." )?
    You can increase the timeout value on the "scan" tab in the "general" section of TV Server configuration. To be honest, 20 seconds (2 x 10) is an awful long timeout - I would expect PMT to be received after 5 seconds at most with a DVB tuner. Perhaps you could ask the folks over the Colossus thread whether they've had to bump that setting up.

What might be the reason for lacking of sound? I have audio input #1 set to the channel.
    This is the million dollar question. If you could figure that out then I think you would solve the problem. I do remember one person in the Colossus thread reporting that plugging in both SPDIF and RCA audio helped with a similar sort of problem. Do you have a SPDIF cable that you could plug in? The other thing you can try is setting the audio to "automatic". It seems illogical to me but sometimes things don't make sense. It is worth trying everything I think.

mm

Shay1000

Portal Member
    December 19, 2011
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    Hi mm,

Thank you very much for your time and patient.

Indeed this seems to be an PMT issue. Once I set it to 20, the Preview works every time.

Setting the audio to automatic worked too. Then I tried the different options, and only Aux#1 pass the audio.

Preloading and the 'pause card' were left overs from the frustration stage, were I was searching for the hidden checkbox that fixes everything and make the world a better place. I disabled them both. ( I did not given up for the world future yet )

I am attaching the logs, perhaps you can tell why it is taking that long for it to initialize or if something is still misconfigured.
    So, I will switch all the channels to Aux#1.

BTW, I see that in the General->Software encoders, all the entries are marked as installed=no. Should I take care of that or is it irrelevant?

Thanks !

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Indeed this seems to be an PMT issue. Once I set it to 20, the Preview works every time.

Setting the audio to automatic worked too. Then I tried the different options, and only Aux#1 pass the audio.
    Even with those changes in settings it looks like each channel change is taking between 30 and 40 seconds. That seems extreme! If 30s is representative of the channel change times that you're getting now I would again recommend that you ask about this on the HD-PVR/Colossus thread as I know some of those folks are getting *much* better times. PMT is the information about which audio and video streams are available and the drivers should be inserting that into the stream more than once every 30 seconds or so.

I am attaching the logs, perhaps you can tell why it is taking that long for it to initialize or if something is still misconfigured.
    It doesn't seem like anything is misconfigured but then I have never owned an HD-PVR. I certainly can't see any reason for the delay.

BTW, I see that in the General->Software encoders, all the entries are marked as installed=no. Should I take care of that or is it irrelevant?
    It is irrelevant. The HD-PVR has a physical encoder chip inside it so software encoders are not required.

mm

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom