Cannot schedule Radio recordings on channels without EPG (1 Viewer)

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi all,
    I'm trying to record a radio program that has no EPG.

In TV section you can record a program that has no EPG by just giving a start time plus a duration. In Radio there is no such possibility.

Try: Radio/menue / Recordings /Menue / recordings timer/ New /extended recordings -> Only TV channels are presented

Any ideas ? What did I miss ?
    Thanks for any comment.
    Gerd

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In TV section you can record a program that has no EPG by just giving a start time plus a duration. In Radio there is no such possibility.
    I have also noticed this limitation with MP's support for DVB-T radio broadcasts (I do quite a bit of radio recording). Other limitations are:

(1) MP does not remember the resume point for partially-listened radio recordings.

(2) "Skip Forward" and "Skip Backward" are not supported (only "Fast Forward" and "Fast Rewind" are supported).

(3) Jump to offset "hh:mm" from start of recording is not supported.

(4) "Play" button on remote control irritatingly resets play to the start of the recording. Hence, when pausing playback, and then resuming playback, one must resume by pressing the "Pause" button again, otherwise play restarts from the beginning. :eek:

(5) Support for manual TV recordings on the "Advanced" tab would benefit from more choice over the duration. Start times can be selected in 5-minute intervals. but durations can be selected only in 30-minute intervals, which is too coarse; durations should also be selectable in 5-minute intervals. And, of course, radio support should inherit this improved capability. :)

(6) In MP, TV and radio are kept separate except on the "Scheduled Recordings" panel, where both are listed. I think that this is the correct design, because users with only a few tuners need to see all scheduled recordings, to see if there is going to be insufficient tuners for a recording that the user is about to schedule. However, with the default set-up there is no way to schedule a radio recording from the "Scheduled Recordings" panel, because one cannot access the radio EPG from the "Scheduled Recordings" panel. I have edited my set-up to allocate an unused button on the remote control to display the radio EPG, but that ought not to be necessary -- the default set-up should support this. Solution: add "TV EPG" and "Radio EPG" as selections in the left side bar of the "Scheduled Recordings" panel. (The solution of using an unused button on the remote control should probably be left up to the user to decide, since only the user knows which buttons are unused.)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi CyberSimian,

I fully agree on all topics !

Perhaps "recording from radio" seems to be from an ancient world. Perhaps it lost focus with the overall availability of media at any time.

Best Regards
    Gerd

Aquarius

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 23, 2004
    NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @CyberSimian

Will you open a bug report as suggested by "HTPC_Sourcer" for this or shall I take over using your text ?

Thx
    Gerd

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Will you open a bug report as suggested by "HTPC_Sourcer" for this or shall I take over using your text ?
    The difficulty that I have is distinguishing between "bugs" and "implementation restrictions". Conceivably, all of the "problems" listed so far in this thread are in fact implementation restrictions, i.e. the code is working as designed.

We all recognise that the developers give their time freely to the improvement of MP, and we thank them for it. Because of this, I am reluctant to claim something as a "bug" when it is really a suggested improvement.

To give you the best chance that your request will be addressed, I would suggest that you raise it as a bug (as suggested by HTPC_Sourcer), but excluding the points that I raised. I will add the latter to the "Improvement Suggestions" thread.

Are you happy with this split, or do you think that some of my "problems" are bugs too?

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    or do you think that some of my "problems" are bugs too?
    FWIW, I'd consider (1), (2) and (4) to be bugs.
    Either way, it is always worth saying something - either as a bug report or improvement suggestion. Personally I wasn't aware of any of the "problems" that you mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom