Can't activate Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 (2 Viewers)

Aucherie

Portal Member
May 6, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
I'm trying to install MP Ver. 1.8 on a Windows 8.1 PC, but when I attempt to turn on .Net Framework 3.5 I get the Windows Error Code: 0x800F0906 (Windows couldn't connect to the internet to down load necessary files.) with a link (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2734782) to resolve the problem. The methods suggested are: 1. Check internet connection - no problem 2. Configure Group Policy setting - no joy 3. Use Windows installation media as the file source (USB drive, in my case) - can't get this to work)

Has any one else encountered this problem and come up with a fix?

Aucherie

Portal Member
May 6, 2013
Home Country
Canada Canada
Thanks, Sebastiii, for the reply. I guess I was being too brief in the description of my problem, but, yes, I do know how to turn on net framework 3.5 in Windows 8.1. It is while doing this that I run into the problem outlined in my OP i.e. Windows says it can't connect to the internet to download the required 3.5 files and when I try to access them locally on my original installation USB thumb drive (per the link given in the OP), I am told that the files cannot be found. I have since tried downloading NFw3.5 directly, but the installer stops at the same point as trying to turn on NFw3.5 in "Turn Windows features on or off" i.e. Windows can't connect to the Windows Update to download the files. Very frustrating!

Sebastiii

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • November 12, 2007
    France
    Home Country
    France France
    No clue why it happen maybe an os thingy related.

Last edited:

jarsve

Portal Member
    January 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I have the same problem! Cant seem to download it With Windows update? Why do i need it anyways? Shouldnt MP be free from old stuf now?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Open an elevated command prompt and paste the following command:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /ALL /NoRestart

Aucherie

Portal Member
    May 6, 2013
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Open an elevated command prompt and paste the following command:

DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /ALL /NoRestart
    Thanks, HomeY, for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it has pretty much the same result i.e. Windows requesting a source file that it will not download from Windows Update or locate from the original installation media. It appears from my internet research that this is is an intractable Windows 8 problem whose only solution is completely re-installing the OS (possibly!). As much as I want MP on my 65" plasma TV, I do not want it enough to go through that procedure again on the off chance that I will be able to install NFW3.5 which I require for MP only. As jarsve has said in another post, perhaps it is time for the MP team to adapt MP to NFW4.5, perhaps in the upcoming MP2.0.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    or locate from the original installation media.
    If you want to install if from a local source you need to change the line to something like:

Code:
    DISM /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:D:\sources\sxs
    Replace D: with your DVD drive/USB thumb drive or virtual ISO drive.
    I'm running Win 8.1 on 2 systems, and have .NET 3.5 enabled without issues.

Or try:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=25150

jarsve

Portal Member
    January 26, 2012
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I got it to work yestarday. It was not this CMD or install at all. Suddenly Windows Update thought i needed .net3.5 and installed it. I don't know how and i don't care now. it just Works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom