Can't enter a network share path as a media source - cannot access any of my media. (1 Viewer)

Stilez

Portal Member
November 19, 2014
Home Country
European Union European Union
I just installed MP2, and tried to enter a media source. All my media is on my NAS. I entered the username+pw credentials for the share (which I know are correct and work without issue as a user). I then tried to enter the share.

The list of network shares includes all 6 devices that offer shares on the LAN (including my NAS). The NAS is listed as "\\NAS_NAME" in the list. But when I click, the "+" at the side goes from "+" to "-" but there is nothing expanded below it. I don't know why and as it uses a different user account it's hard to troubleshoot.

I instead tried to enter the path manually, but whatever I type (even just \\NAS_NAME from the previous screen) it pops up the usual red message that says it will accept an easy path or a full resource path, and whatever I type, it won't accept it. If it's able to accept a usual URI then it's not doing so for me; if it wants a resource then I don't know how to convert my NAS path to a full-length MP2 resource string.

So I can't add any media to my MP2 install, which makes it a bit unusable.

Can I have some help with 2 aspects of this:
  1. debugging why it's not expanding the NAS server when I click "+", and
  2. how do I convert a NAS path to a resource path that the manual entry field will accept properly? (If this needs me to use the registry to find the system GUID for the NAS or whatever, that's ok as long as someone explains how I should get the correct data to build the resource string)

Mike Page

Portal Member
April 9, 2013
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
Was this ever resolved? I was just about to post almost exactly the same question, so I'm hoping there is a simple answer.
In addition, I have a mapped drive (M:\ to my NAS Media folder), which in turn contains Movies, TV Series, Music and MusicVid folders. All are accessible from the local machine. I have tried adding the media source as M:\Movies, \\NASname\Media\Movies, \\NASName\Movies, \\192.xxx.xxx.xxx\Media\Movies, \\192.xxx.xxx.xxx\Movies and so on. Trying to add any of these results in the red message described above. Like the OP, my NASName is visible to MP2, but no subdirectories are shown.

I did find this - Sources on NAS - but it looks like a work in progress. Would have been a godsend if complete I think.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    so I'm hoping there is a simple answer.
    Well, you must be able to navigate to the desired path via your Network Environment in Windows' explorer. If this doesn't work, then your network is having issues and MP2's technical foundation (via .NET functions) will not be able to address these shares.

So the following things must be ensured to be working in this order:
    1. NAS path and sub-directories can be reached via Network Environment in Explorer. Note that entering the path in the address line to reach the NAS is not sufficient.
    2. With 1 working, define credentials in the MP2 settings, i.e. a Windows user who has full RW and Delete rights to these directories and its contents.

Mike Page

Portal Member
    April 9, 2013
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks so much for the advice HTPCS.
    Starting with 1, I'm not entirely sure I understand this bit correctly
    NAS path and sub-directories can be reached via Network Environment in Explorer. Note that entering the path in the address line to reach the NAS is not sufficient.
    I certainly can enter the NAS path into the address line and get there in Explorer, but, as you say, this isn't enough. I can also get there via the Network (see image attached), but I'm not sure that's what you mean.

Attachments

• Network_Movies.PNG
      Network_Movies.PNG
      6 KB

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I can also get there via the Network
    Excellent.

"192.0.168.111" should then be displayed in the MP2 network environment when you enter the share setup dialogue to create a new share. Is this the case?

Mike Page

Portal Member
    April 9, 2013
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Unfortunately not. The NAS name (PNAS01, which equals 192.168.0.111 in my case) shows in MP2, but none of the subdirectories show at all. I might have to revisit how I've got this new machine connected to the NAS entirely. It seems like it works in some places, but not in others. I do miss MP1 when I could map the network drive as M:\ then just point MP to M:\Movies, M:\TV etc etc. Pretty simple for a networking nufty like me. But thanks for the guidance mate.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The NAS name (PNAS01, which equals 192.168.0.111 in my case) shows in MP2
    The fact that the name doesn't show in Explorer highlights that there is a problem. The missing name not showing in Explorer indicates a network problem, maybe a DNS issue.

when I could map the network drive as M:\ then just point MP
    MP2 requires a certain discipline in order to offer its advantages. Because MP2 is using Windows network functionalities to access shares, being sloppy (;)) on the network environment has immediate consequences.

return666

May 4, 2019
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    If windows used simple share - Go to mediaportal settings - media sources - network credentials - type your windows login . Password empty.

smarty12345

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Windows is a funny old thing for networking and seems to have one issue or another in all iterations.
    The last time I ran into an issue like that was down to NetBIOS naming. EG : windows 7 onwards don't use it. except they do... And usually that's what translates into the issue where you can navigate to shares via IP but the "name" of a share doesn't show up in windows explorer.
    Add to the equation third party NAS devices running slimmed down Linux distros or manufacturer own brand software etc and things can get more complicated.
    I would suggest checking the settings on your NAS for anything to do with NetBIOS or "old" network naming conventions and check its on. (and also not too long a name, it don't like that either)
    Good Luck..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom