Can't get TV Server working (4 Viewers)

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I've been using MediaPortal for 20 or so years. Last night it recorded perfectly. This arvo it doesn't - will run videos but not record; only discovered this because I wanted to set new shows to record at the beginning of the week. So I reinstalled, using MP1 on W10 86 version. Previously had run 1.21, last installed in 2019 I think, but today I couldn't reinstall that, as it said there was no internet connection - weird. Using the new MP1, I had to do several installs to get a clean one. But I still can't get TVServer to run. The configuration doesn't accept User-PC. I know there's been issues there in the past but I can't for the life of me remember the solution I found. (This time I'll take a screen shot once it's fixed!!) After various tries, currently the "Setup Database Connection" screen comes up, but when I try to test it I get "Connection failed. Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts". I'm using User-PC, which is the name of my computer - it's on a network, to get an internet connection, but server and client are the same computer. The hostname field is highlighted in red. Dependency is MySQL (highlighted in lime green), Schema name is MpTvDb, user ID is root and password I haven't touched. MySQL 5.1 and 5.6 folders exist on my computer but I don't knowingly used them, so can't comment on their health. As you will have gathered, a couple of reboots ago I was getting the hostname rejected. But not now, though as it's highlighted in red I assume it's a problem.
    I have four tuners, etc, but that doesn't seem to be where the problem is.
    Help, please. I'm missing two new TV programmes this evening, the start of shows for the new year!

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    So I reinstalled, using MP1 on W10 86 version.
    You did not specify which release of MP1 you installed. MP 1.32 has some problems, and is best avoided. MP 1.31 is what I use (32-bit only), and works well. Within the last week or two, MP 1.33 pre-release was made available, in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. This is not the final release. but is likely to be more reliable than MP 1.32.

When installing, you cannot upgrade a 32-bit existing install with a 64-bit install. You need to choose the same bitness in order to perform an upgrade install. Alternatively, uninstall your existing 32-bit version and then perform a first-time install of the 64-bit version. However...

It is not clear what state your current system is in. You could possibly spend many happy hours trying to get it to work, but it might be easier to go for a total reset:
    • Run the MP uninstaller.
    • Run the MySQL 5.1 uninstaller.
    • Run the MySQL 5.6 uninstaller.
    • Goto the "Program Files" and "ProgramData" folders and delete any folder that has "Team MediaPortal" or "MySQL" in the name.
    • Reboot.
    If you now run the MP1 installer, it will be a first-time install. You will need to have the internet connected so that the installer can download function packages that are not currently on your system.

One caution: with a total reset, you lose all of your settings. You can avoid this by:
    • Using the "Export" function of "TV Server Config" to export your TV Server settings to a separate file. Don't store the export file in the "Team MediaPortal" folder tree.
    • Copy the file "MediaPortal.xml" to somewhere not in the "Team MediaPortal" folder tree.
    • If you use any plugins (extensions) that have their own config files, you need to copy those too.
    After the install you can re-instate your MP xml file and import the TV Server settings. You may still need to define some settings manually, but most settings should be preserved.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I downloaded the file that was suggested, which I see is 1.32.000_2023-10-28-21-52. The previous version was 64, as far as I remember. I see my last install was 2021 - apparently another hiccup at that time.
    I don't want to lose everything - presumably I can't backup, considering I can't run TVServer Config. Can you tell me what file name or at least extension I would get if I had one? I could look and see how long ago my last version was.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I downloaded the file that was suggested, which I see is 1.32.000_2023-10-28-21-52.
    That is the hated MP 1.32 release (which, I agree, is the one that it is easiest to find on the MP web site).

I would suggest trying the MP 1.33 pre-release:
    • This page describes the release (complete with advertisements with prominent "Download" buttons for downloading spam and other wastes of time; unfortunately MP has no control over the advertisements that appear).
    • This is the installer for 32-bit MP 1.33
    • This is the installer for 64-bit MP 1.33. Note: there are a few TV tuner cards that do not have 64-bit drivers, and so will not work with the 64-bit version. If you have one of those cards, you will need to use the 32-bit version of MP.

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    I installed the 1.33 - still same problem. Thinking I should try removing SQLs and reinstall - can I run with 5.6.23 or should I go with something later?

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I should try removing SQLs and reinstall
    The "total reset" procedure that I suggested earlier removes MySQL from your system. I suspect that the problem is actually caused by incompatible versions of MySQL, so I think that you should remove all traces of it before trying to re-install MP. Follow the "total reset" procedure that I described earlier.

You should not install any version of MySQL yourself -- the MP installer will install the correct version for you during the install (provided that you have the internet connected).

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Woops, posted to wrong thread.
    I removed all sign of MySQL, rebooted, did a clean reinstall. It reinstalled 5.6, But I've still got both the same problem - unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. And Hostname is still in red. I don't understand - this is a dedicated TV computer. Unless an update did this I don't know why there's a problem in the first place.

MaccaHV

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 22, 2010
    Home Country
    Just looking at Programs and Features - I have 4 Mediaportal files - both the old 1.32 and the new 1.33, with one of the 1.32 with a 2018 date. I've uninstalled all 4. I'll reinstall the 32 bit 1.33 and see how that goes. I haven't removed data files. But I've noticed there are numerous folders, in the form of "MediaPortal TV Server_BACKUP_with a series of numbers" that don't seem to relate to the date they were created. Ditto MediaPortal_BACKUP folders.

Last edited:

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    I've uninstalled all 4. I'll reinstall the 32 bit 1.33 and see how that goes. I haven't removed data files.
    It is not obvious why the problems started in the first place, but my guess would be that it was a Windows 10 update of some sort.

I think that my "total reset" procedure described in a previous post would give you the best chance of getting a working system again. I note that you have uninstalled all of the other releases of MP (and MySQL?), but you have not deleted all of the folders in "Program Files" and "ProgramData" that have "Team MediaPortal" or "MySQL" in the name. If the problem is a bad or incompatible config file in one of those folders, re-installing MP (and MySQL) won't solve the problem.

I realise that you want to retain as much of your previous setup as possible. If you can run "TV Server Config" that has your current setup, then export all settings to some other disk, and copy the file "MediaPortal.xml" to that other disk. If your recordings reside within the "Team MediaPortal" folder tree, copy those to some other disk. Then:
    • Run the uninstallers for MP and MySQL again.
    • Delete the folders that have "Team MediaPortal" or "MySQL" in the name.
    • Reboot.
    • Access the internet.
    • Install MP 1.33 32-bit.
    If this still does not work, I would suggest that you give up on MP1 and try instead MP2, which is described on this page. For MP2, install MP 2.5.0 Net4.8, selecting TVE 3 (not TVE 3.5, which does not work properly). The MP2 installer can be found here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom