Can't install any extensions - DLL error (1 Viewer)

crusadre

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2020
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hi ajs - no problem, I understand. I gladly admit I am new to MP but I love what I see. I'm seeking answers and I know you're trying to help :)
    I downloaded the dll from the link you provided and was able to install Moving Pictures. Prior to that I did upgrade from 1.24 to 1.25 - could that be considered reinstalling it?

I have a side question (as I mentioned I am new to MP): when looking thru the list of available extensions, how do I know whether I should be installing the extension on the Server vs the Client (for example - IMDb+ or Moving Pictures...does that app need to do its work directly on the server and where the movie files are or is it ok to run from the client)?

Thank you ajs and azzuro for your help with this!

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    98% of the plugins work on the client side. The plugins you named work on the client side. If the plugin is for the server, then it will be visible in the server configurator, if for the client, then in the client configurator.

--
    WBR, ajs :):whistle::coffee:

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I dont use Moving Pictures, i use MyVideo (movies plugin out of the box), but, Both plugins support working with remote resources, all media files can be located on the server, and the client will display them, on the server if there is no TV server installed, you do not need to install anything, if the TV server is installed, then install only those plugins that you need for TV server. All other plugins are installed on the client.

crusadre

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2020
    Home Country
    Thanks ajs for the clarification. You mentioned "If the plugin is for the server, then it will be visible in the server configurator, if for the client, then in the client configurator." But if I install a plugin (that was intended as a server plugin) on a client box then I wouldn't see it in the server configurator would I?

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    You don't see it in Mediaportal Configurator... Only on TVServer Configurator, if TV Server installed on this host...

--
    WBR, ajs :):whistle::coffee:

crusadre

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2020
    Home Country
    Sorry ajs - I didn't explain it very well: what I mean is, I think we are saying the same thing only a different way. I have MP Server setup installed on a desktop computer (which contains all my media) and then I use a mini-pc in the living room for the client. So what you are saying is if I install an plugin that is meant to be a server plugin on my client box and go into MP Configurator I won't see the extension. I can't go into TvServer Configurator on my client because I only installed the tv/client part.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    On one host (computer, HTPC, server) you can install:
    • Mediaportal
    • TVServer
    • Mediaportal + TVServer
    TV Server need only for TV support, multiple clients can access the one TV Server. If you do not have TV tuners in your host or not have IPTV, you do not need a TV server at all.
    To watch videos, movies, music, pictures, etc. (except for TV) You only need a Media Portal, a TV Server is not needed, and it does not matter where your media files are located, it can be the same computer, an NAS server on the network, or many NAS servers on the network.
    In this case, it is not necessary to have a TV server installed somewhere (you simply can not use TV viewing, everything else will work).
    Plugins that are designed for a TV server work only with a TV server and are installed in a TV server and are visible in the TV server configurator and nowhere else.
    Plugins that are designed for Media Portal work only in Media Portal and, if necessary, are installed on each host with Media Portal and are visible in the Media Portal configurator on this host and nowhere else.
    if I install an plugin that is meant to be a server plugin on my client box and go into MP Configurator I won't see the extension
    Yes, but if on this host installed TV Server and you go to TV Server configurator you see this plugin ...
    I can't go into TvServer Configurator on my client because I only installed the tv/client part.
    Yes ...

It can be said all the plugins for the TV server, only missing MediaPortalURLSplitter ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom