Can't watch recorded TV (1 Viewer)

3800Fiero

August 19, 2016
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I just recently tried installing MP2 and had some trouble, probably due in some measure to me being new to this. I them uninstalled MP2 and installed MP1 with greater success. I have been able to set up folder, TV channels as well as the guide. I can listen to music, watch ripped DVDs from my NAS and I can watch and record live TV. I can not watch a recorded TV program. I can see the Recoded folder, but when I choose a program nothing happens. MP is frozen and unresponsive and have to use task manager to close it.
I am running Win10, OS and programs installed on a 240Gb SSD, Intel I3, 8Gb ram and two 1Tb drives for storage.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

Thank you for providing log files - you've done well. (y)

I can not watch a recorded TV program. I can see the Recoded folder, but when I choose a program nothing happens. MP is frozen and unresponsive and have to use task manager to close it.
    I can see what you mean in the log files.

The last lines in the MediaPortal log:
    [2016-08-27 16:07:19,451] [Log ] [MPMain ] [INFO ] - PlayRecording:E:\Recorded TV\MLB Baseball - WGN CW - 2016-08-27.ts - using rtsp mode:False
    [2016-08-27 16:07:19,455] [Log ] [MPMain ] [DEBUG] - MediaInfoWrapper.MediaInfoWrapper: Opening file : E:\Recorded TV\MLB Baseball - WGN CW - 2016-08-27.ts

...indicate that the last thing MP tries to do after you try to start viewing the recording is to get the file's media information (video, audio, subtitles/CCs detail). Normally this is just a formality, so it's an unusual problem.

Some questions for you, if I may...
    1. Can you play the file with any other media player?
    In other words: have you verified that the recording is actually okay and playable.

2. Is there any reason why MP might have trouble accessing the file?
    For example, is the file in a password protected shared folder?

3. Have you tried waiting longer (5 minutes or more)?
    The log file appears to show you waiting roughly 15 seconds before killing MP. MP should normally start playing the recording much faster than that. However, security software (anti-virus, anti-spyware etc.) has been known to cause MP to take a very long time to do something that should normally be quick. In other words: I'm not so sure that MP is really locked up. Therefore:
    - please try waiting longer to see if MP "un-freezes"
    - please ensure any security software you use (including Windows Defender) is configured appropriately, and won't try to stop MP from doing normal stuff

Best regards,
    mm

3800Fiero

August 19, 2016
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I downloaded and installed VLC and tries to run the same file. Popup window said i did not have permission to run the file. Ran VLC again as administrator and was then able to play the file. YAY! I then ran MediaPortal as administrator and again was able to play the recorded TV program. So now I will need to set MB to run as administrator by default and get it to start at boot-up. Thanks for pointing me the right direction.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You're very welcome... and thank you for reporting your findings. A positive result is always encouraging, and can help other people who find their way here in the future. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom