CECRemote [0.9.7] (10 Viewers)

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Pat Clark said:
I agree. As far as I can imagine, the software should never turn the TV on or off without an explicit user request. This would include an improved "reminder" function which would turn the TV on (if off) and tune to the reminder's channel.

If you uncheck power controls from settings, Isn't "explicit user request" pressing your TV's power button?

Maybe I'm dense and just don't get why there is even an option. New at using remotes, and never used a separate server, but it seems to me there is never a need for the software to "automatically" turn the TV on or off. (Except for a reminder as I mentioned.) If the TV is currently off, how could the PC possibly know there is somebody there who wants it on, if the user didn't do something? If the TV is on, how could the PC know he is now asleep :) and wants it turned off if the user didn't do something?

(Similarly, I don't understand the "TV On" button on the GUI. If you can see and press the button, isn't the TV on? If the TV is on, and you want it off, wouldn't you use the remote?)[DOUBLEPOST=1354992221][/DOUBLEPOST]
Volume is the big loss, not interfering with PC mouse use is the big win.

You could test setting the device type to "AudioSystem", but it's possible that the TV sends only volume keys after that. Is there any CEC-related settings in the TV's menu? For example, I can control what keys are sent (navigation, playback, tune, all) from my Sony Bravia's settings.
AudioSystem works exactly the same -- no volume control. Vol up/down only operates the TV's speakers. Even if TV speakers are disabled, the TV's volume display works but has no effect.

No CEC options -- enabling it and discovering other devices just shows "MediaPortal" as the name.

Tuomaa

Portal Pro
September 21, 2007
Home Country
Finland Finland
@Tuomaa:
I'm thinking a little about what you said regarding different hdmi-devices and that different buttons are sent in relationship with the device.
Do you think, that is it possible to change the device-typ with a MePe event that is triggered with the remote? That would open some new functionalities.
I have to think a little bit about what would be possible from a users piont view. Perhaps some interaction with the remote layering funktion of MePo or more buttons with the possibility to configure ...

I haven't tested, but I'm pretty sure you can't change the device type "on-the-fly" (EDIT: Well actually it is possible). Still I think more feasible way to get extra configurable buttons would be something like the combo key approach that P8 has implemented. Maybe do it on the MePo-side to get more options. But I'm not sure if and when this should be done, but it's a interesting idea.[DOUBLEPOST=1354994906][/DOUBLEPOST]
Maybe I'm dense and just don't get why there is even an option. New at using remotes, and never used a separate server, but it seems to me there is never a need for the software to "automatically" turn the TV on or off. (Except for a reminder as I mentioned.) If the TV is currently off, how could the PC possibly know there is somebody there who wants it on, if the user didn't do something? If the TV is on, how could the PC know he is now asleep :) and wants it turned off if the user didn't do something?

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood. Are we talking about this plugin or libCECtray-application or something else? The power options of this plugin (Power off TV... , Set inactive source...) are used to power off TV or set it to previous input when MediaPortal is closed or system goes to sleep. So if the user puts the computer to sleep, TV is switched off automatically. Also when computer resumes from sleep, TV is powered on, just like if you would start a blu-ray player etc.

Pat Clark said:
(Similarly, I don't understand the "TV On" button on the GUI. If you can see and press the button, isn't the TV on? If the TV is on, and you want it off, wouldn't you use the remote?)

Do you mean the one on the Pulse-eight software? It is probably just for testing purposes.

Last edited:

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
Home Country
United States of America United States of America

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood. Are we talking about this plugin or libCECtray-application or something else? The power options of this plugin (Power off TV... , Set inactive source...) are used to power off TV or set it to previous input when MediaPortal is closed or system goes to sleep. So if the user puts the computer to sleep, TV is switched off automatically. Also when computer resumes from sleep, TV is powered on, just like if you would start a blu-ray player etc.

This relates to what megahorst said, and I'm not sure where these things are implemented. He points out a couple of places where turning on or off the TV automatically is undesirable -- waking up for a recording or downloading the TV guide. I just don't see any cases where it (auto on/off) has value. Maybe I just don't understand what would happen in a typical case.

1. You come home from work and press the shift key to wake up the computer. The TV turns on so you can watch it. But all you wanted to do was check e-mail.
2. The PC is idle and sleeps. I assume the TV would not turn off if it was in use on another input, so this case is not so bad. If it was on the MediaPortal input, I guess it means it had not been used for anything for a long time.

Pat Clark said:
(Similarly, I don't understand the "TV On" button on the GUI. If you can see and press the button, isn't the TV on? If the TV is on, and you want it off, wouldn't you use the remote?)

Do you mean the one on the Pulse-eight software? It is probably just for testing purposes.

I was referring to MediaPortal's GUI, and I wasn't clear. I should have added this: If the TV is off, how would you see the button to use it?

========================

I guess using the PC only as an HTPC vs using the PC as a general purpose machine, accounts for the difference of opinion.

Last edited:

MrCrabs

Portal Pro
January 21, 2010
Braunschweig
Home Country
Germany Germany
I am thinking about buying a cec adapter, but I'm not quite sure if it will work out as I would like it to. Maybe you guys can answer my questions.

1. I basicly use my TV as a monitor for the HTPC, so no other sources at all. Does the TV remote then just work with my HTPC or do I have to select what device I would like to use every time?

2. Is it possile to turn the HTPC on using the TV's remote? The other way around works, or am I wrong?

3. I guess I will be limited to the remote that comes with the TV - so a harmony with more buttons can't give me more buttons to use?

I guess that's it so far - maybe more questions later on. Thanks you guys!

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    1. If your TV supports HDMI-CEC this should work. I use my Philips in the same way as you will do with your TV.
    2. It depends on your MoBo. It should have the capability for wakeup on USB activity. With my ASUS this works fine.
    3. If your harmony can steer your TV this should work also. But the HDMI-CEC implementation of your TV is as it is. A harmony can not extend this.

findftp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 20, 2011
    Nootdorp
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I've got several question hopefully someone might be able to answer:

Is it true that you only need the pulse eight USB driver and cec-remote, and not libcec software from pulse eight website?
    If you do install both, do they interfere?
    Is firmware v3 preferred to work with this plugin?
    Is it possible to downgrade to firmware v2 once upgraded to v3?

Thanks,

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I've got several question hopefully someone might be able to answer:

Is it true that you only need the pulse eight USB driver and cec-remote, and not libcec software from pulse eight website?
    If you do install both, do they interfere?
    Is firmware v3 preferred to work with this plugin?
    Is it possible to downgrade to firmware v2 once upgraded to v3?

Thanks,

• It should work without any software from the P8 site except the driver
    • I have installed both and do not have any problems but of course you can't run both in parallel
    • V3 is working for me but I can't see any differences between V2 and V3
    • Don't know anything about downgrade

findftp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 20, 2011
    Nootdorp
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    • It should work without any software from the P8 site except the driver
    • I have installed both and do not have any problems but of course you can't run both in parallel
    • V3 is working for me but I can't see any differences between V2 and V3
    • Don't know anything about downgrade

Thanks for the answers!

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Tuomaa: Hi, if you are in a mood to enhance your plugin I have a new idea:
    If you would like to implement the feature to send the htpc to sleep when the tv is switched of it would be nice to have some options for this case:
    • a configurable waiting time bevore sending the htpc to sleep. Just for the case that the tv is switched off by accident.
    • an option to switch the Tv of if music is playing or not to switch it of. With this option it would be possible to save the energy of the tv and listen to the music with yout amp.
    • an option to pause and than stop playing videos or TV-shows.
      First pause and after the timeout of item one is gone stop the video/tv-show and then send the htpc to sleep. With this option we would have a one button solution to switch of tv and htpc (greater WAF)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom