CECRemote [0.9.7] (5 Viewers)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The Pulse-Eight CEC units put me back $50.35 (tax+shipping) via Amazon, or are you talking about buying extra-cables/etc?

If CEC works then you could technically send instructions such as what input channel the TV needs to use via CEC protocol though.

But a cheap IR-blaster or alike sounds like a more reliable alternative, and have this in my Amazon cart as a backup -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FK2SDOC/

Talking to Marantz engineer on one of my support calls I was told that CEC is a nightmare for them that they prefer to do without, and that all the manufactures kind of did their own way and only support their own brands `ecosphere` where the standard was intended to be universal. My problem back then was that PS4Pro CEC was interfering with Roku CEC in combination with LG CEC and Marantz receiver was passing everything through correct. With all four systems configured to use CEC; then if I turned on the Roku, the Marantz would turn on, which would signal the TV to turn on, but then the LG TV would signal the PS4Pro to turn on, and then even though I wanted to stream on Roku I was presented with PS4Pro screen instead. Hitting the home button on Roku again overruled the CEC and changed input back to Roku, but then I had to deal with an awoken PS4Pro that I did not care for.

In the end I disabled CEC on the PS4Pro, as Sony's implementation was the most broken, but my hope was to talk Marantz into adding extra options to their firmware that would allow me to configure the CEC pathways, so that LG to PS4Pro could be blocked, but not the other way around. That is when I was shared the horror they go through to make it work the way it does already.

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    if i set 1080p cec adapter is very good here with maranz all works as expected.
    Also firetv4kCEC works nicely plugged to avr i have also tried my libreelec raspberry3 CEC and again marantz works nicely.

the poblem here is that pulse height sells this adapter as hdmi 2.0b and it is not.

I bought directly on their site and they doesn't pay for return shipping also they avoid to refound the previuos shipping. so more or less 15 bucks.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @mrmojo666 Just curious to know, in the event that I will eventually upgrade my tv to 4k)+) if you think rather than using a dp to hdmi adaptor to drive the cec to /pulse8/avr/tv a second cheap video card with HDMI would work?

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    @mrmojo666 Just curious to know, in the event that I will eventually upgrade my tv to 4k)+) if you think rather than using a dp to hdmi adaptor to drive the cec to /pulse8/avr/tv a second cheap video card with HDMI would work?
    It can work as using a second hdmi (or dp) on the same vga. But if you have an AVR in between you won't be able to switch to the correct input (it will send the active device commando for the second hdmi (or gpu) and not for the actual one. same will happens for tv, it won't be albe to switch to the correct hdmi input of tv.

it's just 1 issue, but from my point of view it's killer issue.

by the way pulse-eight recieved my package and refounded me.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It can work as using a second hdmi (or dp) on the same vga. But if you have an AVR in between you won't be able to switch to the correct input (it will send the active device commando for the second hdmi (or gpu) and not for the actual one. same will happens for tv, it won't be albe to switch to the correct hdmi input of tv.

Yes that would be a killer for me too but looking at my Denon AVR manual it may be possible to have it always select a specific input on return from standby and then use its cec to power up/down the tv (i.e. tv not connected to the pulse 8 hdmi), but would have to try in to be sure (unlikely in the near future given how difficult it is to access the rear of my AVR). Failing any new improvement of the Pulse 8 for 4k hdr support and when the need arises looks like it will be back to the master/slave multi-gang power connector.:eek:

mrmojo666

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2006
    Turin
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    Yes that would be a killer for me too but looking at my Denon AVR manual it may be possible to have it always select a specific input on return from standby and then use its cec to power up/down the tv (i.e. tv not connected to the pulse 8 hdmi), but would have to try in to be sure (unlikely in the near future given how difficult it is to access the rear of my AVR). Failing any new improvement of the Pulse 8 for 4k hdr support and when the need arises looks like it will be back to the master/slave multi-gang power connector.:eek:

mine marantz too, but I've also my firetv 4k plugget in the avr, and very often is the last one input used.

I' digging around and I've discovered that denon and marants share the same Ip control commands and i findout there are many libraries and tools homebrew on github ...so I'm thinking to try that way.

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    And how do I add a delay to turn on the TV when the MP starts? Because the sound system has no time to initialize the input and then there is no sound... I have to reboot the computer. :coffee:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    And how do I add a delay to turn on the TV when the MP starts? Because the sound system has no time to initialize the input and then there is no sound... I have to reboot the computer. :coffee:

Microsoft has a developer tool called "devcon.exe" that can be extracted from their SDK, and it allows you to restart the videocard without restarting the system. If your audio runs through your videocard then it also fixed that.

You initially run it as:
    Code:
    devcon listclass display

Which tells you the string to look for that identifies your videocard.

Then you execute it as (using identifier from my system):
    Code:
    devcon restart =Display *VEN_1002*

Which you can add to a batch file where you launch MediaPortal within, and then add delays/etc. per your requirements to time everything.

It sometimes was an issue for me with HDMI+Audio going to Marantz at 4K/60Hz, and DP+Audio going to a cloned monitor at 1080p/60Hz which would freak out if I forgot to turn on Marantz receiver as then primary audio was switched to DisplayPort, but simply executing devcon avoided a system reboot. Run mostly my projector now, and Z-Wave takes care of power cycling everything in the right order.

If you can't locate devcon.exe tool, then let me know and I'll upload the version I use (Oct 30th 2018, 88kB, v10.0.16190.1000).

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    How make this automatic? I say Ok Google turn On Mediaportal, htpc start, Mediaportal start, tv turned on throughout hdmi-cec.

-- Tapatalk | WBR, ajs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom