CECRemote [0.9.7] (7 Viewers)

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
April 25, 2012
Wisconsin
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Thanks again everyone -- got it working. I see no tray icon.

It's usable (barely) but most keys on the remote are not passed through. I changed the Device Type, but that seems to have no effect -- I've left it set to recording device, assuming "device" refers to MediaPortal.

The Test window shows the only keys passed through are set, arrows, play pause stuff, and exit. (More or less equivalent to TopBar.) Volume not, numbers not, colored function keys not, guide not, etc. I assume it's the TV's fault. Any ideas? It's a Vizio E420VL if that matters.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The Test window shows the only keys passed through are set, arrows, play pause stuff, and exit. (More or less equivalent to TopBar.) Volume not, numbers not, colored function keys not, guide not, etc. I assume it's the TV's fault. Any ideas? It's a Vizio E420VL if that matters.

You are right. It depends on the TV which buttons are sent with CEC.
    My Philips for example passes all the keys wich you are missing except the volume keys to the pulse-eight box.

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I hope Pulse accepts returns, even though it's not their fault. $50 is a lot to pay for an inferior topbar, but I'll use it for a while to see how it goes.

Volume is the big loss, not interfering with PC mouse use is the big win.

Pat Clark

Portal Pro
    April 25, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Home Country
    When a client wakes up the htpc with WOL magic packets the htpc resumes from S3 and the TV in the livingroom is turned on.
    Is it possible that the TV stays off when the htpc comes from standby; except the wakeup is a manual user action (choose htpc hdmi at TV or press power button at htpc)?

I`m also using the option to turn off the the TV when the htpc goes to sleep. This causes a switch off of the TV when MePo is exited for maintenance.
    Is it possible to add an option to not switch of when MePo is exited?

Is it possible to send the htpc to sleep (or whatever is choosen in the powerscheduler) whet the TV is turned of and there is no other action on the htpc (recording, playing music, ...)
    I agree. As far as I can imagine, the software should never turn the TV on or off without an explicit user request. This would include an improved "reminder" function which would turn the TV on (if off) and tune to the reminder's channel.[DOUBLEPOST=1354976642][/DOUBLEPOST]
    @Pat Clark: You could also try to get a new firmware for your TV. Perhaps they have enhanced the CEC functionality.
    Could not find anything anywhere.

Tuomaa

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I hope Pulse accepts returns, even though it's not their fault. $50 is a lot to pay for an inferior topbar, but I'll use it for a while to see how it goes.

Volume is the big loss, not interfering with PC mouse use is the big win.

Seems they do accept returns. TV's usually send volume keys only to audio devices. You could test setting the device type to "AudioSystem", but it's possible that the TV sends only volume keys after that. Is there any CEC-related settings in the TV's menu? For example, I can control what keys are sent (navigation, playback, tune, all) from my Sony Bravia's settings.

megahorst said:
    When a client wakes up the htpc with WOL magic packets the htpc resumes from S3 and the TV in the livingroom is turned on.
    Is it possible that the TV stays off when the htpc comes from standby; except the wakeup is a manual user action (choose htpc hdmi at TV or press power button at htpc)?

This will be in the next release, already in the repository.

megahorst said:
    I`m also using the option to turn off the the TV when the htpc goes to sleep. This causes a switch off of the TV when MePo is exited for maintenance.
    Is it possible to add an option to not switch of when MePo is exited?

It is possible and I agree, this is a very good idea. It gets annoying very quickly if TV is powered off every time you want to change some settings.

megahorst said:
    Is it possible to send the htpc to sleep (or whatever is choosen in the powerscheduler) whet the TV is turned of and there is no other action on the htpc (recording, playing music, ...)

Not sure about this. Is powerscheduler able to set the wake-up time correctly if user sends htpc to sleep manually instead of idle timer?

Pat Clark said:
    I agree. As far as I can imagine, the software should never turn the TV on or off without an explicit user request. This would include an improved "reminder" function which would turn the TV on (if off) and tune to the reminder's channel.

If you uncheck power controls from settings, Isn't "explicit user request" pressing your TV's power button?

Last edited:

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    megahorst said:

Not sure about this. Is powerscheduler able to set the wake-up time correctly if user sends htpc to sleep manually instead of idle timer?

Yes, this is working fine with PS and PS++. You can manually send the htpc to sleep when there is no media playing and no actual rocording, ... It wakes up fine at the next scheduled event.

Tuomaa

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2007
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    megahorst said:
    Yes, this is working fine with PS and PS++. You can manually send the htpc to sleep when there is no media playing and no actual rocording, ... It wakes up fine at the next scheduled event.

OK. Just thought this is not recommended:

Power Scheduler wiki said:
    For now, don't use MediaPortal's buttons (or your remote's button) to put the system into standby, but let the TV-service control it. This makes sure the wakeup time is set correctly.

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    megahorst said:

OK. Just thought this is not recommended:

Power Scheduler wiki said:
    For now, don't use MediaPortal's buttons (or your remote's button) to put the system into standby, but let the TV-service control it. This makes sure the wakeup time is set correctly.

I neved had problems like this. Perhabs this entry is a little bit outdated or this only happens at certain systems.
    Can you ad this as an option?

megahorst

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • July 8, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    @Tuomaa:
    I'm thinking a little about what you said regarding different hdmi-devices and that different buttons are sent in relationship with the device.
    Do you think, that is it possible to change the device-typ with a MePe event that is triggered with the remote? That would open some new functionalities.
    I have to think a little bit about what would be possible from a users piont view. Perhaps some interaction with the remote layering funktion of MePo or more buttons with the possibility to configure ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom