psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Quick question...

My Mediaportal went belly up big time yesterday, so doing a new install of 1.3 final.

Will Myfilms in conjunction with AMC 4 let me have a central database? I'm currently using MovingPictures but it's a pain keeping multiple databases in sync.

I have a MYSQL server running on a QNAP if that helps any...

Cheers :)

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Will Myfilms in conjunction with AMC 4 let me have a central database?
    Yes, you even have options to sync your setup (or not) to each client. There are a variety of options for different use cases/setups (typical with MyFilms ;)) so you might wish to start with the Network Setup page in the MyFilms wiki - and then proceed to the Central Config/DB sub pages.

There are some issues atm due to changes on IMDB and TMDB API but Guzzi is working on it as well as making MF compatible with MP 1.4.0.

Last edited:

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    I have a MYSQL server running on a QNAP if that helps any...

Cheers :)
    As additional info: MyFilms uses the "AMC extended format" - that is XML DB - currently SQL DB engines are not supported. Thus you need a (SMB) share, that is accessible from all your HTPCs - e.g. \\MyServer\MediaServer - that's all.

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Hmm.. I must be doing something wrong...

I have set central config, and my imports work, and the cover images get downloaded and the database updates (if I look in the xml file there are films listed along with synopsis etc)

I have set MyFilms to be the movie choice in the GUI.

However, when I go into it, it says there are no films...

I'm doing something daft :-p

Also if I go to films setup, it seems to be the settings for MyVideos?

Confused!

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Bit more info :-

Deleted my config and used the setup wizard, left all paths at the default.

Started an import, and then cancelled it after it had done 3 or 4.
    Did save work so far when prompted.

Went to save config, and I get the following error message :-

Your XML file is valid with 0 Movie in your database but no Movie to display, you have to change the 'User defined Config Filter' or fill your database with AMCUpdater, AMC or your compatible software

Any ideas?[DOUBLEPOST=1372008674][/DOUBLEPOST]EDIT : Never mind I figured the problem - it's Windows 8 folder permissions - aggregate permissions were read only..

Changed and the error has gone. Now to try again!

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Gahhh....

I've set the database to be on my QNAP - along with all the artwork folders.

It's all being written to ok, but I get the same error message as above, and there are 0 movies in Mediaportal???
    The folder only has 1 permission and that is Everyone has full control.

I'm confused.

EDIT : Another thing that may or may not be related.. If I press Sync from Server for config, I get an error that it couldn't write to local directory?

Last edited:

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    Well, as you probably already noticed - the setup wizard is made for standard local install - we do not have a wizard for networked setups, so networked stups have to be made "by hand".
    Basic setup steps are:
    - create an initial config - u can use the wizard for that
    - adapt the config to use network pathes, where needed (DB path, artwork pathes, etc.)
    - after you've modified the MyFilms config, you also have to update the AMCupdater config accordingly (it probably still has the config you created initially when using the wizard for local install). Easiest is to "recreate" the AMCU config, that should update it accordingly.
    - Open AMCupdater and check, that config was changed accordingly - DB path should now also be your network path (otherwise imports go into your "old" place)
    - If all is fine, you can import movies - either in MyFilms GUI - or use AMCupdater
    Note: Do not yet use the config sync, unless all is working as you wish, as it makes things more complicated at the beginning
    If all is fine, DB should be populated and you should be able to use it from your HTPC
    When you are fine with that - you can use the config sync setup to "upload" that config to your server. This allows you to load this config from any other HTPC, so you don't need to setup MyFilms there - even if you do NOT use the syncing on startup.
    Do it step by step - a networked config with central DB is a bit tricky at the beginning, as it allows many many options and is not automated/wizard supported; once it is up and running, it is a great thing - and adding a new HTPC is done within a few seconds ...
    Note2: If you should ask, why AMCupdater uses a separate config - that is to allow it run separate - e.g. on a fileserver or other PC, where it is much easier to handle than on a HTPC.

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply!

In the end, I had deleted the config, and configured it all manually. I have checked and all the network paths are correct.

All the folders on the NAS are getting updated appropriately, including the Movies.xml database file and all the artwork. However, if I press to save the config then I get the error I mentioned above (Your XML file is valid with 0 Movie in your database but no Movie to display, you have to change the 'User defined Config Filter' or fill your database with AMCUpdater, AMC or your compatible software) which is odd, because I just ran another import and then checked the xml file and the movies were added correctly.

I'm confused!

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    pls post logs and config, as noted in wiki, that should tell more about what's going on ...

psykix

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2009
    Wirral
    Home Country
    Here you go, finds no films even though it is reading the correct xml file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom