Change tv subtitle in MediaPortal 1.26 (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I would be appreciative if someone can play the file and see if they can see the subtitles in mediaportal and if they are a single colour for you.
    I copied your TS file to the "Recorded TV" folder, and to the "Videos" folder, and used "Import recordings" in "TV Server Config" to load the file into the TV Server database (so that the recording would be visible in the "Recorded TV" panel in MP).

I also disabled DVB subtitles, and enabled CC subtitles in "MP Config".

However, I saw no subtitles at all, and I was unable to enable them. Whilst playing the recording, pressing the INFO button on the remote should give a pop-up that allows you to navigate to a Context menu where you can enable subtitles. But on my system, "Enable subtitles" was not offered as a choice. This was true both for "Recorded TV" and for "Videos".

Unfortunately, MP currently lacks a developer who is expert in the TV support, so I don't think that there is anyone who can help you with this. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    It looks like Australia might be using closed captions
    I had another go at this. :)

I have noticed that with DVB subtitles, when subtitles are enabled via the Context menu whilst watching live TV or a recording, it takes several seconds before the subtitles start appearing. Possibly TV Server has to wait for a "key frame" to occur in the datastream before it can enable the subtitles. The sample that you provided (20 seconds) may be too short to enable subtitles and then wait for a key frame. So I decided the enable the option in "MP Config" that starts showing subtitles as soon as the video starts. Well...

"Closed caption" subtitles still don't work. But then I decided to try instead "teletext subtitles", and they do work. However...

As you have found, the text is always white, and there is no blanked area behind the subtitles to make them easier to read. There is an option in the "Video Subtitles" section to specify an opaque box behind the subtitles (it is deselected by default). I tried that, but it has no effect. :(

If subtitles are really important to you (perhaps because you are hard of hearing), you may need to consider a different solution for your TV-watching and TV-recording requirements. :(

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Trevc

Portal Member
    December 2, 2020
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    As you have found, the text is always white, and there is no blanked area behind the subtitles to make them easier to read. There is an option in the "Video Subtitles" section to specify an opaque box behind the subtitles (it is deselected by default). I tried that, but it has no effect.
    Thanks for your effort, much appreciated.

I found this old post in the forum about Teletext subtitles don't have different transmitted colors, so it looks like unfortunately mediaPortal will just display it it a single colour.

I still think MediaPortal is probably the best replacement for WMC so far I've found (plus highly configurable), and one of the only few alternatives that does show subtitles for Australian TV. So I think I can live it with at this stage.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom