[WiP] Changing channel using numbers does not work across group (1 Viewer)

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The proposed change affects our channel selection feature when using channel numbers as opposed to channel group indices.
    One can switch between channel selection using numbers and channel selection using group indices through the configuration option Select channel by index shown in that screenshot:

upload_2016-10-2_19-34-27.png

Problem:
    Our problem is that neither channel selection methods allow selection of a channel outside of the current group. That is an inherent limitation of the selection by index but that's a rather unnatural limitation for the selection by numbers.

As a consequence of this behavior users can't practically use both groups and channel selection by numbers, thus seriously limiting the usefulness of that feature.

Possible solutions:
    1. Enable group switch when using channel numbers.
    2. Optionally enable group switch when using channel numbers.
    Preferred solution:
    We rather not introduce another obscure option when an implementation that satisfy all reasonable use cases is possible. Therefore we should work toward implementing our first solution.

Benefits:
    • Allows for intuitive channel selection much like on any set-top-box
    • Enable use of apps such as Peel Smart Remote
    Testing:
    Fetch the latest installer for testing from JIRA:
    MP1-4818 Channel selection by number not working across groups

TODOs:
    • Scan current group first thus enabling consistent duplicate channel numbers behavior.
    • Consider radio channels.
    • TVE3.5 port

People who like that change:
    @thekitehunte
    @Stéphane Lenclud
    @DJBlu
    @DragonQ
    @cundogg
    @mbuzina
    @elliottmc

People who don't like that change:
    @regeszter
    @tourettes

Just let me know if you want your name added or removed from either of the above groups.

I'm mostly using channels from two TV providers, namely: Sky Deutschland and TNTSAT.
    Luckily those providers channels numbering schemes are mostly compatible since Sky Deutschland is numbering channels from 100 and TNTSAT below 100. Now I was hoping I could applies the providers numbering to make for a more enjoyable zapping experience using Logitech Harmony or other smartphone apps supporting standard channel numbering.

I've deselected the "Select channel by index" option as shown below to be able to call channels using their TV server numbering rather than their group index:
    upload_2016-10-2_19-34-27.png

However even with this option I can't switch to a channel that's not in the current channel group.
    That sounds more like a bug than anything else. Could anyone confirm that?

Last edited:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks for the pointer. I'll take look at it and see if it can make it to MP 1.16.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary
    I'm mostly using channels from two TV providers, namely: Sky Deutschland and TNTSAT.
    Luckily those providers channels numbering schemes are mostly compatible since Sky Deutschland is numbering channels from 100 and TNTSAT below 100. Now I was hoping I could applies the providers numbering to make for a more enjoyable zapping experience using Logitech Harmony or other smartphone apps supporting standard channel numbering.

I've deselected the "Select channel by index" option as shown below to be able to call channels using their TV server numbering rather than their group index:
    View attachment 182605

However even with this option I can't switch to a channel that's not in the current channel group.
    That sounds more like a bug than anything else. Could anyone confirm that?
    I don't think if it is a bug. A group can help parents to hide adult contents.

Please don't change it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't think if it is a bug.
    It sure looks like a bug to me, then again I know next to nothing about the history of that code.
    It could also be a lack of feature I guess, depending from where you are standing.

If I understand that right ATM we can:
    1. Deactivate channel shortcuts.
    2. Have channel shortcuts within current group using index.
    3. Have channel shortcuts within current group using channel ID.
    What's missing to me, and other people apparently since a fix for this was already drafted, is:
    • Have channel shortcuts across groups using channel ID.
    Moreover I do not think option 3 described above makes sense and it sure seems to me like the intention was for it to work across groups.
    That is why it looks much like a bug to me. It could easily have been introduced when implementing feature number 2.

A group can help parents to hide adult contents.
    Now you will have to tell me how that works. Can you lock a group with a PIN code? If not, then it's not so well hidden I'm pretty sure most kids will work out really fast how to change groups through the UI.

Please don't change it.
    No need to beg, I'm more than happy to compromise ;)
    TBH I would rather change option 3 to work across groups. However if someone has a strong case for keeping it in we could just add a configuration option so that we would get 4 ways to configure channel shortcuts.

regeszter

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 29, 2005
    Home Country
    Hungary Hungary

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Use All channels group. :p
    I usually have "All channels" group disabled.
    Unless you have no group at all, outside of the "All channels" group, channel shortcuts will be working interminably at best.
    You would have first to switch to the "All channels" before being able to use shortcuts which is rather not intuitive and defeats the purpose of the shortcuts.
    I want both:
    • Be able to organize channels in groups.
    • Be able to use channel shortcuts across groups.
    Yes, of course. :p
    Is this only available in your modified build?
    Any reason why you did not contribute this to master?

Stéphane Lenclud

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 29, 2013
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I see no reason why you should not be able to rebase that branch following a possible "channel shortcuts across group" implementation.
    Though admittedly it could conflict some I guess.

Because of code freeze of TVE3.

It would make sense to compromise on TVE code freeze to implement a high profile feature such as parental control.
    We could also consider a client only implementation though it's probably not ideal as it would be more work to set it up.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    guy's i'm not sure, to follow what the patch would intend.

can you please explain, the goal of this one ?

@regeszter : your lock groups feature is good, MM want only to have an branch based on his work. for easily intregate it on her branch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom