[solved] Changing names of plugins on Basic Home menu? (1 Viewer)

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I'm customizing DefaultWideHD with larger text for my old eyes. I find that the name for the plugin "Moving Pictures" is too long for the button and would like to shorten it to just "Movies". how might this be possible? ... and is there a way to make renaming of plugins (for screen display) a feature in the Basic Home Editor? Thanks.

framug

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 31, 2005
    South of France
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    As far as I see :

zz1.png

OK in basic home for PVHD :

zz2.png

Therefore, no in DWHD, only in plugins list :

zz3.png

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm customizing DefaultWideHD with larger text for my old eyes. I find that the name for the plugin "Moving Pictures" is too long for the button and would like to shorten it to just "Movies". how might this be possible? ... and is there a way to make renaming of plugins (for screen display) a feature in the Basic Home Editor? Thanks.
    Yes, you will need to edit the BasicHomeEditorDefines.xml file( by default in c:\Program Data\Team MeadiaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\DefaultWideHD).
    .Might be worth taking a saftety copy of the file first before doing this:-
    Open it in Notepad, do a Find on Moving Pictures and change the name as shown in the screenshot below in red box I named it "Filme" as can be seen, then save it. I can't remember if the name then changes automatically or whether you need to reselect the plugin under its new name in the onscreen skin editor. You can also do the same with other plugin names.
    Hope that does it for you.

mov.jpg mov-1.jpg

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    Yes, you will need to edit the BasicHomeEditorDefines.xml file( by default in c:\Program Data\Team MeadiaPortal\MediaPortal\skin\DefaultWideHD).
    .Might be worth taking a saftety copy of the file first before doing this:-
    Open it in Notepad, do a Find on Moving Pictures and change the name as shown in the screenshot below in red box I named it "Filme" as can be seen, then save it. I can't remember if the name then changes automatically or whether you need to reselect the plugin under its new name in the onscreen skin editor. You can also do the same with other plugin names.
    Hope that does it for you.

View attachment 210828 View attachment 210829
    I changed the name in both the 'defines.xml and in the plugin itself (as per framug) the name changed within the Moving Pictures screens, but not on the Basic Home button. I found no options to reselect the plugin from in the on screen skin editor from Basic Home. I'm using the text only Basic Home view.

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    PLEASE NOTE.- there is a colon:)) in front of the name i.e .....name:Filme... in the xml, sorry it got obscured by the red box I put round it in the earlier screen shot, also close MP before doing the edit.
    Not sure what you mean by the "text only Basic Home view, the screenshot I posted earlier is what I get with Basic Home view selected. the screenshot below shows what I see in the onscreen DefaultWideHD skin editor.

mov.jpg

Last edited:

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    yup ... colon is present.
    Here are the screens shots, showing Horizontal Text Only view and skin editor, after changes were made. Yes, MP was closed before changes, then restarted.1668709435364.png12-17-28.png

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am not familiar with the text only view, not a theme that I have, how do you set up for that so I can confirm or not the name change on my setup?

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    I am not familiar with the text only view, not a theme that I have, how do you set up for that so I can confirm or not the name change on my setup?
    It is in the third column of the BasicHome Root Menu editor of the Skin editor. Go to the first item in the first column, then go right to the third column, select the layout item and you will get an option box to select one of the 3 layouts. It's built in.

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    It's built in.
    OK found it and the edited name remains good, also after restart, for me see screenshot. BTW don't know if it makes a difference but in the plugin settings I still have the Home Screen name as Moving Pictures.;)

mnov.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom