Changing Themes Can Cause Mediaportal to black out 2/3rd's of screen (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I have had this problem on an upgrade from 1.3 -> 1.4 prerelease and also reproduced the problem on a 1.4 clean installation (complete uninstall of MP prior)

Steps to reproduce
    Enable titan skin in GUI
    Close + Exit mediaportal
    Download the following - https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/kiwigold-installer-v1-zip.129389/
    This will install a new theme + delete skin chache
    Run mediaportal
    Go into settings and select the new theme

Now only 1/3 of screen is visible, it stays like this until you restart mediaportal
    error.jpg

If you close mediaportal and restart it will go back to normal and the theme will work fine.

I'm unable to reproduce this error on MP 1.3 systems

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Also occurs with changing to uncached skins. I can reproduce 100% of the time. Sometimes it's only 1/4 of the screen that is visible, sometimes it is 1/2

Last edited:

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I cannot reproduce this when changing themes in Titan. Changing to the blue background theme is fine.

The problem only happens when I install KiwiGold.

Does your theme modify any of the core skin files? It doesn't seem to.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    No it doesn't only puts files inside \Titan\Skin\Themes\KiwiGold, it doesn't modify any existing titan skin files or graphics either.

I think there is a bug that is introduced into MP1.4 regarding theme switching or caching that is causing the problem. I don't have this problem with MP1.3

I hypothesize that it is caused by having a certain .xml file in the theme folder (my theme copies every single .xml file from titan main directory, but only modifies the colour codes + things relating to basichome). When a certain xml file exists in the theme folder then it exposes the bug.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    PS. I thought it might relate to too many theme'd graphics, but I tried removing my themes, creating a lot of other themes, then dumping all my graphics into multiple other themes, but that did not cause any problems.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I was able to narrow down the problem, and confirmed it relates to having a certain titan xml file inside a theme folder (I do not know which one)

My Original installer
    Copied all titan xml files and changed the colour codes

My New installer
    Copy titan xml files that contain colour codes, then change the colour codes
    This doesn't cause the bug.
    To use installer you must delete existing /skins/themes/Kiwi Gold/

Attachments

• Install Kiwi Gold Theme (NEW).cmd.txt
      2.4 KB

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Try references.xml, since this contains definitions for much of what is in the skin.

It also contains a version number, which for a theme should be in theme.xml.

Mark

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I cut the number of files from ~450 skin files to ~180 skin files by only copying xml files that contained colour codes and that solved the half screen issue.

It wasn't references.xml , that's still copied over.

What should my version number be if my skin works for both 1.3 and 1.4, currently have it set to <version>1.3.0.1</version>

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    I cut the number of files from ~450 skin files to ~180 skin files by only copying xml files that contained colour codes and that solved the half screen issue.

It wasn't references.xml , that's still copied over.

What should my version number be if my skin works for both 1.3 and 1.4, currently have it set to <version>1.3.0.1</version>

I don't think it is possible to have a skin work with 1.3.0 and 1.4.0, because of the toggleButton change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom