Chromecast (2 Viewers)

Arturas1976

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 5, 2008
    Vilnius
    Home Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Kiwi, your question is already many times answered in blogs - all interaction and remote usage is on the phone, and you do not need remote.
    Also - the stream can be send from any chrome browser, so not only phones and tablets can be used - PC and MAC also.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes I understand how they work, I've seen the videos and my brother has bought 7 of them so I will probably get to play with one.

However as far as a MP extended client goes I think an android stick is better because with chromecast you will need to have 3 devices interacting with each other to stream MP. Controller (eg. Android tablet) <-> ChromeCast Dongle <-> MP Extended

Where as with an android stick you just have Android Dongle <-> MP Extended.

I imagine to develop for that 3 way set up would be a lot more complicated. We already have an android client it just needs a better control interface for when it is running on a TV. Also an android stick would be more powerful + versatile.

I am not saying ChromeCast isn't good, I am just saying there are probably better and more practical potential extenders for MediaPortal.

However I could definitely see it being popular if someone developed it.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Controller (eg. Android tablet) <-> ChromeCast Dongle <-> MP Extended
    yes as i said i know how it works, 3rd element is control element.
    Controller <--> Comcast <--> Stream
    No one is suggesting that you would stream from MP -> Phone -> ChromeCast -> TV. That would be ludicrous. Please re-read my post. Since MP Extended would provide stream, and a Tablet/Phone would be the likely controller, you have 3 way communication between 3 devices.

Last edited:

Oxan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 29, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    However as far as a MP extended client goes I think an android stick is better because with chromecast you will need to have 3 devices interacting with each other to stream MP. Controller (eg. Android tablet) <-> ChromeCast Dongle <-> MP Extended

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you control the Android dongle? Don't you still need a controller for that?

I imagine to develop for that 3 way set up would be a lot more complicated.
    From the developer docs that I've seen, no, it definitely isn't. Google claims you can add support for the Chromecast in less than 200 lines, which seems to be correct. Please don't make assumptions about developing things when you don't have experience with it.

I've tried explaining the difference, and additional complexities involved, might be over your head.
    Let's keep this friendly.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Maybe I'm missing something, but how do you control the Android dongle? Don't you still need a controller for that?

That is already developed for android. There are numerous controllers for android. It supports keyboards, bluetooth controllers, IR remotes, Mice. If you go onto youtube you can see lots of videos with different devices controlling android dongles.

Re; Chromecast - You can't plug a mouse/keyboard/remote/controller into the dongle, because it is just a streaming device.

Chromecast is great for people who don't have an HTPC, but I'd rather have an android dongle any day it can do a lot more.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom