[further infos missing] Clean install of 1.3 - cant enter music section, just hangs mediaportal (1 Viewer)

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Indeed, but why would MP hang when accessing the network? If the share was not accessible, the application probably would have given an error msg instead of just plain crashing? I would have not been able to copy the entire music library back to the htpc manually if the network was problematic. So the problem might be related to the networked operation of the task but something in MP appears to not deal with that correctly. Worst case scenario would be an error msg, not a "task not responding" state?

FYI, I am currently testing a bit further and once I make MP hang by accessing the networked music library, I still see that there is alot of network activity. Even after 5 minutes of letting it sit in a hanged state, there is still lots of activity. Could it be that MP is actually trying to download the whole library off the network instead of just listing its contents? I'll let it sit there for some more time and see if it eventually "un-hangs" or if the network activity dies down.

SV

I don't know what is the problem exactly. Did you start MP in debug mode (no 3rd party plugins enabled and default skin in use) and see if it works? (I assume you did?)
    Can you try to disable Wifi Remote?

This is the error message:
    Code:
    BASS: Unable to play D:\My Folders\SVoyager\Music\Metallica\Metallica\08 Nothing Else Matters.m4p.  Reason: BASS_ERROR_FILEFORM.

Last edited:

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Actually I did not start in debug didn't thought about that, my bad (MP 1.3 RC is my first MP installation. I'm a new user here so apologies if I am a complete noob. I'll only get better at reporting issue from now on!). The error you say however is something else. I opened a random song after having copied the library locally to see if it would play (and it did, despite the error you mentionned above), then I tried to switch over to the networked equivalent and it hanged before I could reach it. Maybe the logs didn't catch it? I don't even get to select the song I wish to play. Just selecting the remote folder hangs MP, it doesn't get further than that.

Looking at the network activity still going strong on both the HTPC and the computer that has the music library on, my noob guess is that its trying to grab the entire library remotely or some crazy intensive network operation and the fact that the logs doesn't appear to show any errors related to that makes me think that MP is actually not in an error state, it's just waiting for the transfer to complete but not giving any feedback about it. My HTPC is currently running on a temporary 802.11g card, waiting for AC standard to get ready before upgrading. However I am alone on the wireless here, I don't live in the city so besides all the shops being at least 30 minutes away from where I live, I at least get the bonus of being alone on the wireless. All the bandwidth for ME (evil laugh) :). I'll eventually get a dedicated server with gigabit connections, need $$ for that.

I'll keep monitoring this to see if it will stop eventually. I know it took a few hours to transfer the library to the HTPC so I'll see if this is what is happening right now.
    SV

edit: BTW thanks for the quick answers!!
    edit2: About starting in debug mode, I'll do that once this test is over. It's been at it for a while now so it would be a bummer having to restart the test.

Last edited:

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I guessed wrong, after a few hours, still jammed. 1 cpu core maxed the whole time. Tried running in debug, same issue. Here are the logs. Tried to understand them but it doesn't seem to say anything interresting. I guess I'll have to run it locally, not a huge deal for me. Was hoping to help u guys find this bug.

SVoyager

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2013
    Québec
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Alright I found the issue. In MP Configuration --> Music --> Music Folders , when you edit your folder you can tell it what the default layout is. I had selected "Album", selecting anything other than that fixes the problem. When trying to switch layouts within MP, the option to select "Album" is just not there. Don't select album as the default layout for the music folders in mediaportal's configuration application !

Wow problems can be misleading sometimes!

Last edited:

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    aah- I have album set as my default too... did something change here from 1.2.x to 1.3 beta (am sure it worked in alpha) or could this be that titan doesnt support album view?

Holzi

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 21, 2010
    Ba-Wü
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    aah- I have album set as my default too... did something change here from 1.2.x to 1.3 beta (am sure it worked in alpha) or could this be that titan doesnt support album view?

Could you check if it works with DefaultWide skin?
    This would help! Thanks! :)

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Alright I found the issue. In MP Configuration --> Music --> Music Folders , when you edit your folder you can tell it what the default layout is. I had selected "Album", selecting anything other than that fixes the problem. When trying to switch layouts within MP, the option to select "Album" is just not there. Don't select album as the default layout for the music folders in mediaportal's configuration application !

Wow problems can be misleading sometimes!

I use album view within Titan, and have no issues. Not sure if you have edited/deleted this view. Perhaps full logs would help.

bob808

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2008
    Hampshire
    Home Country
    the plot thickens - changing to default wide and it still crashed, but I went back into MP settings and changed the default view in the folder setup page to icons rather than album and boom - it works again. On first boot it went to a shares view, but I could change to album in mediaportal and it works.

So the issue seems to be with 'album' as the view type in the MP-settings page for the share property?

Anyways - I am happy as I have a working config on all my boxes again - simple little change!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom