Client to TV Server connection issue (1 Viewer)

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello

I have installed Media Portal 1.11 server on a Windows 8 machine using SQL Server as the database. I also installed the client on that machine so I could test MediaPortal.

I installed the client on a Windows 8.1 machine and declared the server in the Configuration application and tested the connection successfully.

However, when I run MediaPortal on the client machine and try to view the guide, the TV Set-up page comes up asking me "Please specify the IP address or host name".

I am new to MediaPortal - I have been a Windows Media Center user for years - and would appreciate any advice about why the configuration might be connecting okay but I cannot use MediaPortal remotely.

Thanks you in advance.

Tony

Pauly D

Portal Member
    June 26, 2015
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi Tony,

The Host name is the name of your computer. In windows find the Computer Properties and get your computer name. Then go back and enter it into MP. I am not currently at my HTPC , but I think after you enter it it will tell you if it connects to the database ok.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi Pauli

Thanks you for your reply.

I have entered the TV server's computer name in the MediaPortal Configuration application and it said it connected okay.

My problem is that when I run the MediaPortal client, it doesn't seem to connect properly and displays the TV Set-up page.

Any ideas?

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello

Thank you for your help.

I have recorded my test system configuration in my profile and attach the log file.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again.

Tony

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again Tony

Thank you for the log files. :)
    Unfortunately they're only helpful to a point. I can determine that MediaPortal is expecting to connect to a TV Server running on PC "tvaughan01". The TV Server database is also expected to be running on "tvaughan01". So, that's all good and consistent.
    What I can't determine is whether TV Server is running successfully on "tvaughan01". For that, I need the TV Server log files from "tvaughan01".
    1. On "tvaughan01", open Windows/File Explorer.
    2. Copy and paste "c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log" into the address bar.
    3. Please zip all the files in that folder and post/attach the zip file here.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Tony - I'd check that the firewall in the server PC allows incoming access to both TVservice and MySQL.

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello

I am not using MySQL - I am using SQL Server 2012 instead. BTW, The TV service fails to start under the normal installation configuration because it times out (I think it tries to load too soon after SQL Server loads and times out). I changes this service to 'Automatic (Delayed Start)' and that seemed to fix that issue.

I realized that I hadn't set up the SQL Server database for remote connections as described below:

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/0...ion-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

When I performed those settings, the client successfully communicated with the server - I hadn't appreciated that the client machine would need remote access to the database (I has assumed it would access the database via the server software).

Thanks for the help.

Tony

Anthony Vaughan

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 25, 2015
    Home Country
    Hello again

Is it possible to change the default file type for recording, say from .ts to .wtv?

Thanks.

Tony[DOUBLEPOST=1435517392][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry to keep asking questions.

Can MediaPortal as a server coincide with Windows Media Center on the same machine? If a tuner is being used to record a programme by WMC, would MediaPortal know not to try to use it at the same time? I want to be able to use the same machine to fully test MediaPortal.

Thanks again.

Tony

Last edited:

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    The recording file type can't be changed.
    MP TV server cannot share tuners with other software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom