Clock speed vs multi-core CPU's Can MediaPortal benefit from multi core cpu's? (1 Viewer)

Jolltax

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Bouvet Island Bouvet Island
    Country flag
    CPU clock speed versus core in new Server build

My venerable (in computer terms) i5-2500 MediaPortal server has run 24/7 for many years now, its still running OK but I want to upgrade it before it auto-retires :eek:. The last BIOS update for the MB from Asus was in 2012 and I have just got this feeling .....

This time, rather than re-purposing an old gaming PC like I did with the above, I want to do a custom build. Some important questions occur to me around hardware specs e.g.
    • How much does MediaPortal benefit from multiple cores e.g. is 8 cores at 3.7 Ghz better than 4 cores at 3.7 Ghz?
    • Does a graphics card add more performance than upgrading from a mid range to a top cpu?
    My server runs MediaPortal server but no client under Windows 10, it also does a lot of transcoding duties using MediaBuddy. We typically have anywhere from 2 to 6 network clients running off the server. I figure if multiple cores will help with the server and transcoding duties I could do a meaty Ryzen 5 or 7 build, maybe with a mid range graphics card to help with the transcoding.

It doesn't need to be quiet or beautiful as it just grinds away covered in dust in the corner of a (usually) empty room.

Also : wow, I checked the hardware wiki - there's spiders and creepy things in there but not much recent info .....

Wapachow!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Similar threads

We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.2 Pre-Release It has been some time since last release, but we were intensively working on the implementation of new features and some fundamental changes in the core of MediaPortal 2. As a result, we proudly present the next major release of MediaPortal 2 in version 2.2. MediaPortal 2.2 is a...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.2 Pre-Release It has been some time since last release, but we were intensively working on...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.2 Pre-Release It has been some time since last release, but we were intensively working on...
    Replies
    Views
    MPExtended (Mobil access) for MP2 only for TV access It's available and properly working since beginning of this year... I've used it until I switched over from DVB-S to SAT>IP in Spring 2018 where such things are no longer necessary at all.
    MPExtended (Mobil access) for MP2 only for TV access It's available and properly working since beginning of this year... I've used...
    We are proud to present MediaPortal 2.2 Final Since the recent release of MediaPortal 2.2pre, we fixed some minor things. We now...
    Replies
    Views
    No idea if you're still around, but I'd love to know if you've had any issues with a VM doing the TV tuning? I tried a Win7 and Win10 VM with my TV tuner passed through via Unraid 6 and it would always drop packets when tuned to HD channels via DVB-T2. SD channels always seemed to be ok.
    No idea if you're still around, but I'd love to know if you've had any issues with a VM doing the TV tuning? I tried a Win7 and...
    MediaServer8 is an unRAID based storage system which, using virtualisation technology, also incorporates a MediaPortal / ArgusTV...
    Replies
    Views
    Hello and welcome :) You've covered a lot of ground in your post. I'm going to pick one thing that I might be able to assist with... I'm not sure if TBS can help you on this front - they mostly focus on tuners that work in other parts of the world. Do you have a cable subscription, or do you just get the clear QAM local...
    Hello and welcome :) You've covered a lot of ground in your post. I'm going to pick one thing that I might be able to assist...
    First I would like to say I completely love what has been built here and have been reading the forums almost daily for about a...
    Replies
    Views
    @etheesdad Add this to your guide 5x fan resistor $2.08 USD incl Worldwide P&P http://dx.com/p/3-pin-pc-cooling-fan-speed-noise-reduction-cable-5-piece-set-35818 Variable fan speed controller $2.49 USD incl Worldwide P&P http://dx.com/p/12w-variable-speed-controller-for-pc-cooling-fans-21320 Most of HTPC noise is related to...
    @etheesdad Add this to your guide 5x fan resistor $2.08 USD incl Worldwide P&P...
    INTRODUCTION The following is intended to provide a general introduction for those interested in building a silent HTPC.. The...
    Replies
    Views
    Top Bottom