Clock speed vs multi-core CPU's Can MediaPortal benefit from multi core cpu's?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jolltax, August 31, 2018.

1. Jolltax
    • Premium Supporter

Jolltax MP Donator

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Home Country:
    Bouvet Island Bouvet Island
    CPU clock speed versus core in new Server build

My venerable (in computer terms) i5-2500 MediaPortal server has run 24/7 for many years now, its still running OK but I want to upgrade it before it auto-retires :eek:. The last BIOS update for the MB from Asus was in 2012 and I have just got this feeling .....

This time, rather than re-purposing an old gaming PC like I did with the above, I want to do a custom build. Some important questions occur to me around hardware specs e.g.
    • How much does MediaPortal benefit from multiple cores e.g. is 8 cores at 3.7 Ghz better than 4 cores at 3.7 Ghz?
    • Does a graphics card add more performance than upgrading from a mid range to a top cpu?
    My server runs MediaPortal server but no client under Windows 10, it also does a lot of transcoding duties using MediaBuddy. We typically have anywhere from 2 to 6 network clients running off the server. I figure if multiple cores will help with the server and transcoding duties I could do a meaty Ryzen 5 or 7 build, maybe with a mid range graphics card to help with the transcoding.

It doesn't need to be quiet or beautiful as it just grinds away covered in dust in the corner of a (usually) empty room.

Also : wow, I checked the hardware wiki - there's spiders and creepy things in there but not much recent info .....

Wapachow!

J

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!