Clock speed vs multi-core CPU's Can MediaPortal benefit from multi core cpu's? (1 Viewer)

Jolltax

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2015
    Home Country
    Bouvet Island Bouvet Island
    CPU clock speed versus core in new Server build

My venerable (in computer terms) i5-2500 MediaPortal server has run 24/7 for many years now, its still running OK but I want to upgrade it before it auto-retires :eek:. The last BIOS update for the MB from Asus was in 2012 and I have just got this feeling .....

This time, rather than re-purposing an old gaming PC like I did with the above, I want to do a custom build. Some important questions occur to me around hardware specs e.g.
    • How much does MediaPortal benefit from multiple cores e.g. is 8 cores at 3.7 Ghz better than 4 cores at 3.7 Ghz?
    • Does a graphics card add more performance than upgrading from a mid range to a top cpu?
    My server runs MediaPortal server but no client under Windows 10, it also does a lot of transcoding duties using MediaBuddy. We typically have anywhere from 2 to 6 network clients running off the server. I figure if multiple cores will help with the server and transcoding duties I could do a meaty Ryzen 5 or 7 build, maybe with a mid range graphics card to help with the transcoding.

It doesn't need to be quiet or beautiful as it just grinds away covered in dust in the corner of a (usually) empty room.

Also : wow, I checked the hardware wiki - there's spiders and creepy things in there but not much recent info .....

Wapachow!

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom