Cloning GIT Repository... (1 Viewer)

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hope someone can help me with an issue, which is probably something simple that I have overlooked.

I have cloned the main GIT repository successfully however I have ran into an issue with getting the sub-modules as described under "Get the submodules (e.g. libbluray)" as described here in the wiki. The following error message is what is appearing when attempting to update the sub-modules with "Recursive" checked:

upload_2014-4-9_16-37-37.png

Any help would be appreciate, as always...

Last edited:

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Yes, well the thing is I was able to download or rather "clone" the repository prior to attempting to update the sub-modules using the "Update Submodules" context menu option, so is it probable that the connection is at issue?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    You don't need the libbluray submodule (there are no others) to do TV Server development/debugging. I would ignore this and proceed.

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Hi @regeszter, I selected "Git Sync..." from the context menu in the main repository folder on my PC and then within the "Git Synchronization" I clicked the "Pull" button, which seemed to succeed, see the screenshot below:

upload_2014-4-10_9-38-29.png

Does this help? Any ideas as to why I am unable to update the submodules?

@mm1352000, thanks for the suggestion, that is probably what I'll do but I would still like to get the sunmodules updated too. On a side note, I can't seem to find any information on how I should create a branch in GIT. I see the there is a "manage" button beside the "Remote URL", is this what I use to create a new branch to sync to on the GIT MP respository if I'd like to check-in any changes to the software I make?

Thanks all...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    but I would still like to get the sunmodules updated too
    Well, then you should investigate connectivity with the repository.
    Can you see this?
    http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=libbluray.git;a=summary;js=1

If so, I don't know why you wouldn't be able to access the submodule.

On a side note, I can't seem to find any information on how I should create a branch in GIT. I see the there is a "manage" button beside the "Remote URL", is this what I use to create a new branch to sync to on the GIT MP respository if I'd like to check-in any changes to the software I make?
    You (and other non-team-members) don't have permission to commit directly to our git repository. Normally one would fork our repository to your own account, create the branch in your fork, then submit a pull request against our repository.

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Yep, I can see that and I've had no problem getting the MP GIT repository of using the "Git Synchronization" tool either!

You (and other non-team-members) don't have permission to commit directly to our git repository. Normally one would fork our repository to your own account, create the branch in your fork, then submit a pull request against our repository.
    Ah right, think I've got it! I'll give it a bash maybe so. If you have a step-by-step on that it would be really useful. If not it's grand, I'll see what I can manage myself. Thanks so much for the help so far...

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you have a step-by-step on that it would be really useful.
    https://help.github.com/articles/creating-a-pull-request

Yep, I can see that and I've had no problem getting the MP GIT repository of using the "Git Synchronization" tool either!
    Okay. AFAIK sync has nothing helpful to offer you when it comes to solving this problem.
    What happens when you right click on the MediaPortal-1 folder, go to the git sub-menu and select "submodule update"?
    [Assumption: you're using tortoise git like me.]

JJDoherty

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 10, 2013
    Dublin
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    That's great, thanks for the link.

Okay. AFAIK sync has nothing helpful to offer you when it comes to solving this problem.
    What happens when you right click on the MediaPortal-1 folder, go to the git sub-menu and select "submodule update"?
    [Assumption: you're using tortoise git like me.]

Yep I'm using Tortoise GIT too and I have tried the context menu "Submodule Update...", you can see what happened in my first post of the thread here, thanks again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom