Combining Foreign + English title doesn't work (1 Viewer)

jake78

Portal Pro
July 30, 2005
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
It updated to 4.9.18 and I tried a new import. The results are different this time. The title is now 'Cocoon - återkomsten (Cocoon: The return)'. It's in the wrong order... My settings are as follows:

Use the original title from the movie: Off
Add the foreign title: On
Start the title with the foreign one first: On

I have not made any changes to the settings and they worked as they should before the problems arose.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @jake78, the "foreign title" detection of IMDb+ only works proper for USA users. This is because IMDb shows the English title first and the original/foreign title is shown next. For non-USA users this is reverse, however it is not consistently reverse, which is why it is not an easy way for me to 'fix it'.

However the results you showed me are how it would be for a USA-user, so perhaps indirectly I've fixed it with this latest revision.

With "Start the title with the foreign one first" set to 'On', it would show "'Cocoon - återkomsten" first as it is the non-English title, aka original, aka foreign.

I'm just amazed that works correct now, because IMDb was always extremly unpredictable on that part. I'm sure if you run into an Asian movie with or without a localized title that you will see the problem back again.

jake78

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    But this has worked for almost a year now for all movies in my library. Has something changed in the past week?

I now set these settings:
    Use the original title from the movie: Off
    Add the foreign title: Off
    Start the title with the foreign one first: Off

This shows the English title but the problem with this is when I have a Swedish movie, it will be the English translated title. Before it used the original title (no matter what language) for all movies and it put the English title for the foreign movies after the original title in parentheses.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Amazon just keeps changing stuff, and I can only do 'so much' from a USA IP without even seeing what you get.

What you worked on before was side-effect behaviour that was never intended to work as such, and caused by IMDb messed up localized title system.

Since everything works much better now, you have the following options. If you want "English title (Original title)" then you need to enable that "Add the foreign title" option. If you want "Original title (English title)", then you keep that setting enabled, but you also enable "Start the title with the foreign one first".

The fact you got Swedish title sometimes, was because Amazon/IMDb made IMDb+ think those were actually the English title, hence the bad side effect you actually got used to. Now that IMDb+ has been improved to better detect English title, the "Use the original title from the movie" setting can be used to get that behaviour back, however for you that will still lead to unpredictable results, because there is no way for me to know when Amazon/IMDb translated the title.

Once I got a full rewrite in place, then I can totally ignore what IMDb gives me on the details page and go after each title-language individually via the AKA page, and write my own system. Then you can get "English title (Swedish title)" or "Swedish title (English title)". Until then you have to settle for the quirky behaviour.

jake78

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I think you misunderstood me with how titles were working for me.

Swedish movie: Swedish title (English title)
    American movie: English title
    Japanese movie: Japanese title (English title)
    British movie: English title

Thanks for your help and explanations.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

jake78

Portal Pro
    July 30, 2005
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The list I wrote was the result of different movies when everything was working a few weeks ago using the settings I previously mentioned. That's how I'd like it to work, but it's not a big deal if it's not fixable. It's more important to get the English titles than anything else.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The list I wrote was the result of different movies when everything was working a few weeks ago using the settings I previously mentioned. That's how I'd like it to work, but it's not a big deal if it's not fixable. It's more important to get the English titles than anything else.

Ok, well in order to get it the way you want it (which should be possible), I need those 16 files, and only then can I make a workaround that will get you your non-USA preference on titles.

vpupkin

Portal Pro
    March 26, 2011
    RoChess strikes again ;) I can confirm that english/foreign titles work again - great job as usual. Thanks!!

Actually, I was too quick with the confirmation - while titles indeed do work, I noticed that Actors/Directors/etc are not populated (all are empty). This used to work before the recent updates to iMDB+...

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Actually, I was too quick with the confirmation - while titles indeed do work, I noticed that Actors/Directors/etc are not populated (all are empty). This used to work before the recent updates to iMDB+...

It is more related to the updates Amazon keeps doing to the IMDb websites. But I'm unable to duplicate, only testing on Actors right now, but it works fine for me. Can you give me HTML source code on a movie you know does not work? Preferably the www.imdb, and akas.imdb page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom