Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Some of the advantages of Backdrop:
    A nice, clean menu residing on bottom of home screen with upscrolling submenus, freely configurable by an editor that comes with the skin. No old fashioned "hoover" images, freely configurable backdrops instead that gave a much better glimpse of what has focus. No fancy gfx to hide fanart or information, Text was readable on all backgrounds due to color and shadow, all was looking as if it was one piece. Eye Candy like Coverflow was looking especially great with little gfx to limit it.
    In one word, this skin was near to perfect imho. When visitors have seen MP with Backdrop Skin they loose their breath, every single time, I swear...

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Hi.
    Some of the advantages of Backdrop:
    A nice, clean menu residing on bottom of home screen with upscrolling submenus, freely configurable by an editor that comes with the skin. No old fashioned "hoover" images, freely configurable backdrops instead that gave a much better glimpse of what has focus. No fancy gfx to hide fanart or information, Text was readable on all backgrounds due to color and shadow, all was looking as if it was one piece. Eye Candy like Coverflow was looking especially great with little gfx to limit it.
    In one word, this skin was near to perfect imho. When visitors have seen MP with Backdrop Skin they loose their breath, every single time, I swear...
    huge downside - text may become totally unreadable because you never know the color of the fanart that is placed behind.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    White text with black border is readable easily on all backgrounds...
    a black/dark stroke looks very clumsy.

if you do it very thin or light-grey, you can still end up with unreadable text, caused by TV's backlight brigness/resolution/processing/viewing distance/etc. which "removes" the stroke.

So I do love fanart. but text directly placed on a fanart background, is a very bad design idea. you have to have a semi-transparent layer (gfx) in between to ensure readability.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have used Backdrop from the very first day it was published until I finally need to change skin due to compatibility issues with more recent MP versions (it was designed around MP 1.2 Beta) and I never ever got text unreadable, no matter which fanart was used... If this is a "bad" idea, then I'm into bad ideas...
    After backdrop I never had a skin that was close to what I like, that's why I've done a theme for PureVision lately that has text on backdrops also and I'm just starting to create a MP2 Skin- modification of Titanium which in a later state will have this "bad idea" also. Learning XAML is not that easy as learning XML so this will take a long while until there is something to show...

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I have used Backdrop from the very first day it was published until I finally need to change skin due to compatibility issues with more recent MP versions (it was designed around MP 1.2 Beta) and I never ever got text unreadable, no matter which fanart was used... If this is a "bad" idea, then I'm into bad ideas...
    After backdrop I never had a skin that was close to what I like, that's why I've done a theme for PureVision lately that has text on backdrops also and I'm just starting to create a MP2 Skin- modification of Titanium which in a later state will have this "bad idea" also. Learning XAML is not that easy as learning XML so this will take a long while until there is something to show...

I like your 'bad idea' :)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    I never ever got text unreadable, no matter which fanart was used... If this is a "bad" idea, then I'm into bad ideas...
    So you surf the "If I don't have an issue, no one can have a issue with that wave" - seriously?

This example shows the potential issue - this design is not easy on the eye if BG and textcolor are a (close) match - there will be much more severe examples.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/attachments/music_playlist-jpg.79852/

If you don't see the problem with having text directly placed on top of changing, unknown colored backgrounds, then I don't have to discuss this further with you.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    While a lot of people may like text directly on to backgrounds i have to agree with infinite.loop on it being a bad design idea, while Lehmden's setup may be perfect for this for many other people the text can get lost and become unreadable particularly if the backdrop if very "busy" and my personal preference is to have as little text shadows as possible because they mostly look crap lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom