Community Design (2 Viewers)

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Ok guys i'm opening this thread because i want to see if the community can pool their ideas together to come up with a skin design that is :

1. Easy to use ( not confusing for the wife :D)

2. Very good looking ( looks very slick and sexy to the eye but also makes good use of available space ) Don't focus too much on fanart because not everyone likes it or wants it thrown in their face.

3. Something different layout and design wise ( think outside the box if needs be ).

Everyone post up concepts and ideas of what they like in a skin and then we can see if we can mash some of the ideas together to create one awesome skin.

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    What I really would like, is to have a skin with lots of animations in it. I'm a big fan of xbmc skins (sorry :)). They are so fluent. What I would like in a skin is eye candy. So that means, when I select my videos, it shouldmake a beautiful animation before I'm in my videos. For example, fly in/out animation. And so on. Check the default xbmc skin and aeon nox for reference. Also I like the tripanel view, but don't know if that is possible or not. What I also would like, is an in skin customisable colour scheme, so everybody will be happy. :)

Darker skins are mostly easier on the eyes and better readable. So I would prefer dark.

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    No need to say sorry :) the whole idea of this thread is to try and create something great that the majority of users would like to use, i hope many more people get involved in this and post up some concepts of homescreens etc.:D

Ministerk

Super User
  • Team MediaPortal
  • Super User
  • November 28, 2007
    Uppsala
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Readability is very important. I've got a 32" TV and many skins often uses a too small font size making text hard to read and if the skin offers a big font setting it often leads to overlapping and overflow. Contrast in colours of texts on backgrounds, selected items et cetera.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    They are so fluent.
    To achieve that, you'd actually need to get someone to deeply dive into the skinengine code and do a revamp - there is the root source for the slow response time/sluggishness.
    This is the only real issue/complaint I still have with MP. :)

What I'd also really like to see is a fresh way to browse my content ..example..

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    Here you see why it's impossible to create a skin for all users...

Don't focus too much on fanart
    As I'm a fan of fanart ;) I don't like skins with little or no fanart. That's why I prefer Default Wide or PureVision over Titan or Avalon...

to have a skin with lots of animations
    I don't like those animation as they slow down the whole GUI a lot, especially in MP1...

many skins often uses a too small font size
    For me most of the skins are loosing too much space so for me most skins are using too large fonts...

This list will be growing with every new suggestion. Some like it, some don't.. That's the way people are.

My all time favorite is cul8ers "Backdrop" Skin. It's a pity this beauty isn't developed any longer...

Last edited:

CypherMK

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    To achieve that, you'd actually need to get someone to deeply dive into the skinengine code and do a revamp - there is the root source for the slow response time/sluggishness.
    This is the only real issue/complaint I still have with MP. :)

What I'd also really like to see is a fresh way to browse my content ..example..

Ok. Let's rewrite the skin engine code :cool: anyone up for the task? ;)

That's also the only reason I sometimes load Xbmc, to get to see those nice skins and super animations.

I couldn't load the YouTube movie, copyright issues. But I think I know which video it was. You discussed that video before. Didn't you? :)

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    you'd actually need to get someone to deeply dive into the skinengine code and do a revamp
    There in lye the problem as there seems to be no one at all willing to do this which is what is holding MP1 back so badly.

As I'm a fan of fanart I don't like skins with little or no fanart. That's why I prefer Default Wide or PureVision over Titan or Avalon...
    Thats the point here to strike a balance between too much and too little not all or nothing.

This list will be growing with every new suggestion. Some like it, some don't.. That's the way people are
    Very true but every ones opinion counts ;)

wizard123

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 24, 2012
    Home Country
    Maybe list the best aspects of backdrop which you miss that could be incorporated into a new design ?

If we raise the most popular aspects that are missed and everyone agrees i can add them to the original post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom