Compilation albums dont work right in My Music (1 Viewer)

SteveV

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 13, 2005
    Boston, Massachusetts USA
    8bit said:
    I reckon that, plus the existing stuff (although maybe label it slightly more clearly, I didn't get that the two options i needed on were what I thought they were) would probably cover it. At least that's WMP and iTunes sorted :)

I agree that it's not a clear as it could be. Part of the confusion is likely the "Scan albums for various artists" option. There's really no reason this should be an option--it should just happen automatically. Regarding the "Treat tracks in individual folders as an album" option; would either of these be clearer?

"Treat tracks in individual folders as albums (recommended)"
    "Each album in my music collection is in a seperate folder"

8bit

Portal Member
    December 12, 2005
    SteveV said:
    8bit said:
    I reckon that, plus the existing stuff (although maybe label it slightly more clearly, I didn't get that the two options i needed on were what I thought they were) would probably cover it. At least that's WMP and iTunes sorted :)

I agree that it's not a clear as it could be. Part of the confusion is likely the "Scan albums for various artists" option. There's really no reason this should be an option--it should just happen automatically. Regarding the "Treat tracks in individual folders as an album" option; would either of these be clearer?

"Treat tracks in individual folders as albums (recommended)"
    "Each album in my music collection is in a seperate folder"

I like the second one better, maybe "Each album/compilation in my music collection is it it's own folder" would be slightly clearer tho (IMHO). As for "Scan albums for various artists", maybe "Display albums featuring multiple artists as a 'Various Artists' compilation"?

Perhaps it might be an idea to assume that "Scan Albums..." be switched on it the "Treat tracks" (or whatever it gets called) is switched on as well?

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    8bit said:
    For those not familiar with iTunes, album folders are in the Artist_name/Album_name/Track format except for compilations. Providing the "Group Compilations together when browsing" option is switched on, in the library folder there is a folder called "Compilations" and it follows the format Compilations/Compilation_name/track. In iTunes library itself there is an entry in the "Artists" list called "Compilations". Selecting this displays a list of all albums marked as compilations.

Yes, thanks for the iTunes tip (I was not aware of the option!). But there ist still one issue which will probably be only solved with the Album Artist tag (which again is not available in iTunes, sh**t). I have some Albums (e.g. Santana) where I have multiple Artists per Song. I'd like to see the Album in Albums View as "Santana" only, but if looking through Artists I'd like to see the Album / Tracks for Santana and the other musicians. I have seen this as ideas in the post about the new tag reader, so let us all hope for the best!

P.S.: Does anyone know if iTunes can interpret the AlbumArtist?

8bit

Portal Member
    December 12, 2005
    mbuzina said:
    8bit said:
    For those not familiar with iTunes, album folders are in the Artist_name/Album_name/Track format except for compilations. Providing the "Group Compilations together when browsing" option is switched on, in the library folder there is a folder called "Compilations" and it follows the format Compilations/Compilation_name/track. In iTunes library itself there is an entry in the "Artists" list called "Compilations". Selecting this displays a list of all albums marked as compilations.

Yes, thanks for the iTunes tip (I was not aware of the option!). But there ist still one issue which will probably be only solved with the Album Artist tag (which again is not available in iTunes, sh**t). I have some Albums (e.g. Santana) where I have multiple Artists per Song. I'd like to see the Album in Albums View as "Santana" only, but if looking through Artists I'd like to see the Album / Tracks for Santana and the other musicians. I have seen this as ideas in the post about the new tag reader, so let us all hope for the best!

P.S.: Does anyone know if iTunes can interpret the AlbumArtist?

If I remember correctly (I'm not at home right now so can't check until after work), iTunes displays the contents of the AlbumArtist tag in the "Composer" field. This can be seen in the track properties by right-clicking the track and selecting "Get Info" and selecting the appropriate tab in there, maybe it can be displayed as a field in the main library list as well.

Generally the "Artist" tag should contain the artist the album is attributed to and the "AlbumArtist" tag should contain the person(s) individually credited with writing the track, this is obviously somewhat determined by how much attention whoever first submitted the album info to Gracenote CDDB has paid to the task!

EDIT: Sorry, obviously that should be the other way round, IIRC AlbumArtist is what iTunes calls "Artist" and Artist is what iTunes calls "Composer", sorry for the confusion. :)

mrfunks

Portal Member
    January 31, 2008
    Cardiff
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    We need to have albumartist ID3V2 tag implementation.... this would make this Media Portal complete........

be nice to search via albumartist....would really help..

Any news on this, lots of people have asked for this!

mrfunks

Portal Member
    January 31, 2008
    Cardiff
    Home Country
    The fist View is Artist album, but we need to be able to "sort by" in the Music View Configuration.... I REALLY need this as I've got 200gb + of music all correctly tagged,
    i.e
    Compliation Album

Artist - This would be different per track
    Album Artist - This would be set to "Various Artists" for a complitation album, or would be the same as "Artist" for a Solo album..

If we could get "sort by" to be "Album Artists" then this would work exceptionally well, as all the complitaion albums would be stored in V - Various Artists, then next layer would have Albums...

PLEASE CAN THIS BE DONE... as this program would be perfect !!!

Many thanks

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    i have 300gb+ tagged and it works perfectly with AlbumArtists.
    have you tried this view already?
    it does exactly what you wnt, if i understand you correctly.

mrfunks

Portal Member
    January 31, 2008
    Cardiff
    Home Country
    So levels are

Album artist. (Sort by Artist)
    Album
    Track

I'm looking to get Album artist (Sort by Album Artist)
    Album
    Track

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom