Comskip 0.79 build 36: Added DVRCut output format (1 Viewer)

erik1958

Portal Pro
January 28, 2006
From the changelog

Changes in 0.79.36
- Added ini parameter, setting output_dvrcut=1 will enable the generation of the bat file that can run the commandline dvr-ms cutter to generate a clean dvr-ms file. You need dvrcut.zip for this
Changes in 0.79.35
- Bug solved: Commercial frame numbers found on dvr-ms files with logo where completely wrong.
- Bug solved: There is a difference in results when processing an mpeg or the corresponding .csv
Changes in 0.79.34
- Added the proposed cutlistformat for TVersity, enable with output_edlx=1. Warning: This output only is available correctly when scanning the video file, not when editing the cutpoints or processing the .csv file.
- Added ini parameter sage_framenumber_bug=1 to halve the .txt file frame numbers when 720p/60fps content is detected.
- Changed logic when enabling both SILENCE and other detection methods to become more robust against input variations over broadcasting styles.
- Warning: Some changes did have the risk of slightly less quality in detection. Notify me when you detect this.

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
November 14, 2005
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hi erik, thanks for your work on this, getting closer! I installed and ran as you suggested (i have a file called tester.dvr-ms that i use) from the command line and got comskip to produce the following bat file

tester.bat

dvrcut "%1" "%2" 0:0:0 0:7:20 0:10:51 0:16:50 0:19:39 0:29:31

for those who are dumb like me, what to do next is to open the bat file and take the name of your original file (in my case it was tester.dvr-ms) and then substitute it for the %1 between the inverted commas. Substitute the %2 for the output filename (i made it tester2.dvr-ms) and path you require. Close the amended bat file and now run it, brilliantly it removes the ads really quickly and neatly. Erik your a star, keep 'em coming!

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    I have been looking around for the dvrcut.zip file but can't seem to find it. Could you please link this somehow or send it to me and I will link it for others.

EDIT: After looking around I found both files. I am going to link them here so people can download them.. If anyone has a problem with this... let me know

Comskip 79_36
    DVR Cut

erik1958

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2006
    you should run the generated .bat file from the command line as

tester.bat tester.dvr-ms tester_clean.dvr-ms

In this way the %1 is substituted by the first parameter and the %2 with the second.

mdsflyer

Portal Pro
    November 14, 2005
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Ok erik, 2 issues for me now, i've now tried this on a bigger file (3GB and 1 hour) the comskip produces a bat file just fine but when i run dvrcut as you described above it starts to create the clean file but progresses no further than 684,550K (or thereabouts) the task manager does not show the programme as not responding an indeed it will close no problem, but the outputted file will not play, it is way too small anyways. Is there an issue with dvrcut and large files? The other problem was on my original tester file of 20mins and 2 ad breaks that it would remove the first of the ad breaks but not the second. This was despite the bat file having start/stop then start/stop times listed. Any ideas?

Brocklander

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2004
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Comskip can find commercials in DVR-MS files...

There's now an excellent tool to cut them out of DVR-MS files...

Hello MP integration?

:wink:

erik1958

Portal Pro
    January 28, 2006
    Ok erik, 2 issues for me now, i've now tried this on a bigger file (3GB and 1 hour) the comskip produces a bat file just fine but when i run dvrcut as you described above it starts to create the clean file but progresses no further than 684,550K (or thereabouts) the task manager does not show the programme as not responding an indeed it will close no problem, but the outputted file will not play, it is way too small anyways. Is there an issue with dvrcut and large files? The other problem was on my original tester file of 20mins and 2 ad breaks that it would remove the first of the ad breaks but not the second. This was despite the bat file having start/stop then start/stop times listed. Any ideas?
    Its difficult for me because I have not been able to test myself as my development machine does not run XP.
    Anyone else with the same experience?

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Yea, personally I really don't see the need to cut out the commercials for people who just want to watch the shows and then delete them. I would like to see the ability for MP to read the bat file and when it gets to one of the commercials, just skip it. I think this would be the biggest step in what we are trying to do here with MP.

This is how I would like to see it set up. First you have a Master check box on if you want to skip commercials or not within the setup. And then, for each show you have the option to turn on or off comskip. This way... if you are watching a show and comskip did not do the greatest job, you could turn it off for that show.. and just use MP as normal. If you left it on... MP would jump the commercials when it sees them. This way you have the complete show even if comskip didn't do a very good job of detecting the commercials.

I have a replay TV and this is pretty much how it works... The only thing that replay will do that I haven't seen in MP and comskip is real time Commercial skip. This only works if you are on a delay. I am watching a show and hit pause to answer the phone. I am on the phone for 20 min and come back. Replaytv's comskip works on current shows up till 2 minutes of the live show. So at this point it will skip commercials up to 2 minutes to live. I am hoping someday comskip will be able to do this.

I just did a 5GB show and it seemed to work fine. It didn't error out and created a second file. I have not tested the shows yet... to see how good comskip is working... but I know for a fact... it's doing something :)

wishywashy

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2005
    Hill AFB, UT
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I use the comskip/show analyzer with MCE 2005. I don't use it to cut out the commercials right now, just skip them.

In MCE you have the ability to have automatic jump and manual jump through commercials. The "up arrow" turns on automatic jump and the "down arrow" turns it off. The "right arrow" jumps past the commercials and the "left arrow" jumps back.

The way I understand that it works is: show analyzer analyzes the show and looks for the broadcast logo. It outputs an xml file with times/position in the file of the commercials. Comskip then reads the xml and jumps to these points in time. So far I have almost no problems with comercial jumping. The most "problems" I have had are station commercials that put the logo in the corner. Such as a commercials for "news at nine" and it has the channel logo.

Mind you I am useing this in the States and 99% of my channels have a corner logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom