Comskip does not work on recorded TV (1 Viewer)

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I am new to MP - I have installed MP (some weeks ago now) and configured ComSkip but it does not seem to be working..... I realise that the standard version will only do standard definition. I was surprised when I was watching a RecTV show and wow - out of the blue, it skipped the ads - I love it - it was only on one show and does not do it all the time. So I donated and got the full version that does HD - I have now configured that as per the Wiki but it still does not detect and skip the ads. I did a test in the TV Server config and found that worked fine so I thought u-beaut here we go no more ads on RecTV so I set a few recordings - no ad skipping at all on 2 channels that I tried.

What do I need to check. All that I have read in essence says to unzip the comskip file and place the unzipped contents/folder into the Program Files folder and then enable Comskip in the TV Server config and point TVserver to the comskip.exe file and that seems to be it - I have the comskip country (Aust) specific .ini file in that folder too.

Do I need to post the error log?

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    on comskip setup I'd suggest doing the following, this info is really at the bottom of the comskip wiki, Troubleshooting section
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/13_Plugins/ComSkip_Launcher

1. After setting path to comskip.exe use the test option press "..." to open a file browser, select a test YourShow.ts file and run a test. In some cases there is a windows "security popup" asking are you sure you want to run comskip. Use something small like 15-30 minutes so it gets done quickly.

2. make sure you use Manual Control to stop/start the TV Service so comskip is auto-runs at the end of each recording. see
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/TV-Server_Configuration/11_Manual_Control

Skywizard

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 14, 2015
    Canberra
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    on comskip setup I'd suggest doing the following, this info is really at the bottom of the comskip wiki, Troubleshooting section
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ver_Configuration/13_Plugins/ComSkip_Launcher

1. After setting path to comskip.exe use the test option press "..." to open a file browser, select a test YourShow.ts file and run a test. In some cases there is a windows "security popup" asking are you sure you want to run comskip. Use something small like 15-30 minutes so it gets done quickly.

2. make sure you use Manual Control to stop/start the TV Service so comskip is auto-runs at the end of each recording. see
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/TV-Server_Configuration/11_Manual_Control

1 Yes I did that I got a file and it ran through it and marked the ads. That is why I was getting all excited.....

2 I do not know quite what you mean here. I saw that the TV service has to be stopped/ started after editing - I did that through Task manager (And I have since done that again moments ago in the TV server config....

I was able to start the time shifting and record as per the WiKi...[DOUBLEPOST=1440128596][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Do I need to post the error log?
    Please post full log files (as always, when asking for help). Watchdog option 3 ("export...") in this case. :)

Here attached is the log export... Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    TV Server seems to be launching ComSkip at the start of your recordings:

[2015-08-20 16:33:16,576] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - ComSkipLauncher: Recording started (E:\Recorded TV\SBS HD\The Sixties\The Sixties - 2015-08-20 - The British Invasion.ts on SBS HD), launching program (C:\Program Files\comskip_donators\comskip.exe "E:\Recorded TV\SBS HD\The Sixties\The Sixties - 2015-08-20 - The British Invasion.ts" -t) ...
    [2015-08-20 16:58:12,689] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - ComSkipLauncher: Recording started (E:\Recorded TV\Ten News - SC10 Canberra - 2015-08-20.ts on SC10 Canberra), launching program (C:\Program Files\comskip_donators\comskip.exe "E:\Recorded TV\Ten News - SC10 Canberra - 2015-08-20.ts" -t) ...
    [2015-08-20 17:58:04,888] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - ComSkipLauncher: Recording started (E:\Recorded TV\Seven News - PRIME7 Canberra - 2015-08-20.ts on PRIME7 Canberra), launching program (C:\Program Files\comskip_donators\comskip.exe "E:\Recorded TV\Seven News - PRIME7 Canberra - 2015-08-20.ts" -t) ...
    [2015-08-20 18:23:14,112] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - ComSkipLauncher: Recording started (E:\Recorded TV\7mate Canberra\Mythbusters\Mythbusters - 2015-08-20 - Ninja Bullet Slap _ Tire Breathing _ Rule of Thumb _ RFID.ts on 7mate Canberra), launching program (C:\Program Files\comskip_donators\comskip.exe "E:\Recorded TV\7mate Canberra\Mythbusters\Mythbusters - 2015-08-20 - Ninja Bullet Slap _ Tire Breathing _ Rule of Thumb _ RFID.ts" -t) ...
    [2015-08-20 19:58:01,061] [Log ] [scheduler thread] [INFO ] - ComSkipLauncher: Recording started (E:\Recorded TV\ABC\Who's Been Sleeping In My House_\Who's Been Sleeping In My House_ - 2015-08-20 - S3 - E4 - Bundaberg.ts on ABC), launching program (C:\Program Files\comskip_donators\comskip.exe "E:\Recorded TV\ABC\Who's Been Sleeping In My House_\Who's Been Sleeping In My House_ - 2015-08-20 - S3 - E4 - Bundaberg.ts" -t) ...

As far as TV Server is concerned, once we've launched ComSkip that is the end of our responsibility. Given the above log entries it looks like we're doing that. So, I suggest you check for ComSkip log files etc. or any other indications that ComSkip may be failing for any reason.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    while watching a recorded video, you can use the "Actions" menu to see if the recording has chapters created by comskip

comskip also has files, use windows folder explorer/browser to go to your Recordings folder and you should find, (Hannibal example)

Hannibal - 2015-08-08 - And the Woman Clothed in Sun.ts # recording file
    Hannibal - 2015-08-08 - And the Woman Clothed in Sun.log # comskip log. lots of gory details
    Hannibal - 2015-08-08 - And the Woman Clothed in Sun.txt # comskip "skip locations" for start/end of commercial

my log file starts with
    ################################################################
    Generated using Comskip 0.81.056
    Time at start of run:
    Sat Aug 01 23:01:19 2015

ends with
    111689 Frames Processed
    ################################################################
    Time at end of run:
    Sat Aug 01 23:14:17 2015

the skip location file shows the following "frames" for start/end of commercial, for USA (60hz) divide by 30 (use 25 for 50 hz power grid)
    FILE PROCESSING COMPLETE 111688 FRAMES AT 2997
    -------------------
    31 2373
    15365 21875
    32563 37221
    52734 59993
    68122 71771
    88238 94176
    107671 111718

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    You can also check to see if comskip is running using Task Manager. Start a recording then open up Task Manager to see if comskip.exe is running.

Gregor07

Portal Pro
    January 31, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have the same problem: comskip works when I test it. But after the recording the file *.txt remains empty.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    hard to say what causes comskip problems without logs. Suggest you try the following

1. Use TV Server Config, ManualControl to Stop, wait a few seconds, then Start to restart the TV Server. Some settings need a restart to become fully active. Or just reboot. see http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...ion/TV-Server_Configuration/11_Manual_Control

2. After doing a restart, make a test recording that should run ComSkip. In your post indicate the name of the show you recorded "TestShow", upload the log files (use option 3), also go to your recording folder and look for/upload the ComSkip log file. For example, when the recording is done you should have TestShow.ts (N*GB recording file) and a TestShow.log file that ComSkip generates when it runs. Also upload the TestShow.log file so we can see if ComSkip is seeing problems. See the following for log file info

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-and-fill-in-system-specs-for-support.118424/

use option 3 http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/Forum/How_to_post_logs

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom