Configuration.exe crash after InitDeviceList error (1 Viewer)

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MediaPortal Version: 1.4.0

Description
    MP Configuration (Configuration.exe) fails for me about 80% of the time at start up. The start up msgs flash by, but either the app never appears, or it crashes - in the latter cases creating an error log. The last few lines always as below
    [2013-08-19 21:58:19,734] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - MAP: using custom mappings for DirectInput
    [2013-08-19 21:58:19,781] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - DirectInputHandler: error in InitDeviceList
    [2013-08-19 21:58:19,781] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    The full attached log shows one crash instance, but then next time it ran as per the log.
    I've also attached a full log capture using MP Debug to give set up info, but obviously this doesn't show the Config crash.

Steps to Reproduce:
    Clean MP1.4 install on clean Windows XP install, with Windows Updates being applied as offerred. On this system I first installed on SQLExpress, but on running into this same problem, tried a full uninstall, and this time installed with MySQL.

My Remote settings are the default, but then with Use General HID. I haven't made any changes under DirectInput.

Since first encountering this prob I have installed the verison of MessagePlugIn updated in 2013, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I've been running MP1.1.2 for the last couple of years very happily.

I've had some issues with MP Client start up too (likely per the full set of logs). It was freezing during its loading/setup stages, probably in PlugIns, but not sure. It seems to be starting and running consistently at the moment.

Thoughts...?

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thoughts...?
    Yep...
    1. Install the patch from here since you're using XP...
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...les-is-corrupted-with-1-4-0-pre-in-xp.119713/
    ...and keep in mind that XP support is being phased out so plan to upgrade your OS if you want to install future versions of MediaPortal.

2. Your OS... particularly the DirectX components... don't look too happy:
    "18/08/2013 11:09:19 p.m.";"Application Error";"(0)";"Error";"Faulting application dxdiag.exe, version 5.3.2600.5512, faulting module dinput8.dll, version 5.3.2600.5512, fault address 0x00016324.";"1000"
    "18/08/2013 11:09:27 p.m.";"DrWatson";"(0)";"Information";"The application, C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 08/18/2013 @ 23:09:27.671 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 6CE26324 (dinput8!DirectInput8Create)";"1073745921"

I think the MP crash and this dxdiag crash are possibly related. I'm not sure how you'd go about fixing this...

mm

Last edited:

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks. I installed the updated MediaPortal.exe. Will see if that resolves the instability I'd seen there. In general the client was working well and still is.

This hasn't made any difference to the Configuration.exe error. What can cause the log msg "Error in InitDevice List"? Does this suggest some things I could try?

Have just found this comment but looks like it is more about debugging the TV client, than Configuration itself.
    • Configuration.exe /debugoptions - opens Configuration Tool with an additional item for TV called Debug Options - only for advanced testers and developers!

And yes, I see XP is on the way out for future versions. For now MP1.4 is fine for me, and the OS is simply a means to run it that I never use directly, hence I'm not driven to pay to upgrade it.

Thanks.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    This hasn't made any difference to the Configuration.exe error.
    You're right - it wouldn't.

What can cause the log msg "Error in InitDevice List"? Does this suggest some things I could try?
    As above with my reference to the OS and DirectX.
    The log message specifically relates to the Direct Input remote "plugin" which you appear to have enabled:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/8_Remote/21_Direct_Input

So, I don't know what you've enabled Direct Input for but the problem might be with the corresponding hardware/driver. All the symptoms - the MP config crash, this message, the DxDiag crash - point to DirectX (which appears to manage/relate-to the direct input) not being happy with something. To be honest I'm surprised MP runs at all.

Have just found this comment but looks like it is more about debugging the TV client, than Configuration itself.

• Configuration.exe /debugoptions - opens Configuration Tool with an additional item for TV called Debug Options - only for advanced testers and developers!
    Not relevant for this issue. :)

And yes, I see XP is on the way out for future versions. For now MP1.4 is fine for me, and the OS is simply a means to run it that I never use directly, hence I'm not driven to pay to upgrade it.
    No problem. Just a friendly note. :)

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The only Direct Input setting I'm aware of is the Page under remotes, and per the attached jpg, mine is all off, as per the default. Is there anything else that would cause the DirectInput InitDeviceList to be executed? I can't see anything under plugins for example. Any setting in an xml file?

Why do you say the MPConfig crash points to DirectX? Just trying to understand the link.

All very odd. Like I say this has been a happy stable box running earlier MP for some time. Under 1.4 the server looks happy enough, but even from a full clean Windows install, the MP Config and client to a lesser extent, seem to struggle. Maybe I'll try 1.3.

Attachments

• Direct Input Settings.JPG
      Direct Input Settings.JPG
      56.4 KB
    Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    The only Direct Input setting I'm aware of is the Page under remotes, and per the attached jpg, mine is all off, as per the default.
    Yep, that is the section I'm referring to. :)
    The section is disabled in your current log files:
    <entry name="DirectInput">no</entry>
    ...but in your previous log files that section is enabled:
    <section name="remote">
    <entry name="DirectInput">yes</entry>
    <entry name="DirectInputDeviceGUID">
    </entry>
    <entry name="DirectInputDelayMS">160</entry>
    <entry name="DirectInputKillCombo">
    </entry>
    <entry name="DirectInputCloseCombo">
    </entry>
    </section>

Seems a bit strange. :confused:

Is there anything else that would cause the DirectInput InitDeviceList to be executed?
    InitDeviceList is a function within the code for that remote section. It is executed as a normal part of starting MP configuration. Again, I want to reiterate that it is normal to run InitDeviceList. The fact that you're getting the error is not normal, but it is conditions in the operating system that are causing this problem.

I can't see anything under plugins for example. Any setting in an xml file?
    The MediaPortal.xml file in the MediaPortal settings folder contains the settings I quoted above, but that is pretty much irrelevant. The fact is that InitDeviceList is a normal part of starting MP configuration.

Why do you say the MPConfig crash points to DirectX? Just trying to understand the link.
    Direct Input is a plugin for receiving input from devices that use the DirectX framework such as joysticks.

All very odd. Like I say this has been a happy stable box running earlier MP for some time. Under 1.4 the server looks happy enough, but even from a full clean Windows install, the MP Config and client to a lesser extent, seem to struggle. Maybe I'll try 1.3.
    Well, like I say - the problem appears to be caused by an issue in your environment.
    Even when MP configuration is starting successfully (ie. Configuration Good.log) there is a hidden issue:
    [2013-08-20 23:59:13,546] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - add DirectInput section
    [2013-08-20 23:59:13,562] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - MAP: using custom mappings for DirectInput
    [2013-08-20 23:59:13,625] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - DirectInputHandler: error in InitDeviceList
    [2013-08-20 23:59:13,625] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
    [2013-08-20 23:59:13,843] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - add Video codec section
    That is not healthy. Basically it is pure luck that you don't have a crash in that scenario.
    I run XP myself and do not experience these problems.
    [2013-08-21 08:43:54,843] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - add DirectInput section
    [2013-08-21 08:43:54,921] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - MAP: using default mappings for DirectInput
    [2013-08-21 08:43:55,187] [Config ] [Config Main] [INFO ] - add Video codec section

Consider the peripheral devices connected to your PC. What devices do you have? Have you connected or disconnected any recently? Have you updated drivers? Have you installed any new software? Have you installed Windows updates? Has the PC experienced unexpected power loss due to power cuts or problems that required you to hard shutdown/reboot the computer recently?

Something has triggered this problem, but unless I'm very much mistaken the issues that you're seeing with MP are symptoms of a problem which is outside MP.

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Updates...

1. The Configuration.exe error appears to be caused by Message PlugIn. At least when I uninstall that, I stop getting the error in the log and MPConfig runs (though I have to admit still only 90% of the time).

2. The MP DirectX faults appear to have been caused by my CoreAVC codec config being changed from Simple SW de-interlacing to HW (which I guess my graphics card is struggling with). No MP issues at all since then, and playback is noticeably smoother.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    First, thanks for reporting back - we appreciate it! (y)

1. The Configuration.exe error appears to be caused by Message PlugIn. At least when I uninstall that, I stop getting the error in the log and MPConfig runs (though I have to admit still only 90% of the time).
    So, is there anything we can do to assist with getting this completely sorted? If so, new log files would be helpful to confirm that there is no new information that we're missing. :)

2. The MP DirectX faults appear to have been caused by my CoreAVC codec config being changed from Simple SW de-interlacing to HW (which I guess my graphics card is struggling with). No MP issues at all since then, and playback is noticeably smoother.
    Strange. I have CoreAVC though I think it is an older version. I'll see if I can reproduce.

mm

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I moved the action over to the Message PlugIn thread: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/message-plugin.120102/#post-1023446 but no bites so far. Will upload new logs this evening.

For the record the previous DirectInput=yes/no change you noticed was due to me setting this on breifly, to see if this would stop me ending up in the weeds, but didn't make any difference.

nickotron

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 3, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    More testing tonight on the Config issue, and it doesn't look like the tie to Messag PlugIn holds. I've had it fail and work in both cases, ie: with and w/o this plugin installed.

First zip has 5 copies of Config logs from 5 runs in order
    Without Msg PlugIn Installed
    1 Worked
    2 Failed (Never appeared, not left in open in Task Mgr)
    3 Hang (Start up box left onscreen, app had to be closed from TaskMgr)
    Then Installed Msg PlugIn
    4 Crash (Windows Unexpected Error Dlg)
    5 Fail (Never appeared)
    6 Worked!

Notes
    - All files have the DirectInput error, followed by Attempt to reads protected memory (other than the 3 Hang that didn't quite get that far).
    - 1 & 6 that worked have a Titan Error in the error.log

MP still works fine. Seems to contain lots of Titan warnings but I don't see any visible issues.

Second set of logs is using the Debug option, should that help.

Maybe I'll try a diff skin but thsat would be a pity. Maybe I'll just stay out of Config.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom