Continuity errors after Windows 10 update (1 Viewer)

micko

Portal Pro
May 27, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
This morning I updated Windows 10 to our server PC (after all we are soon forced to do this updade). Just found that PCTV 292e tuners can't get good signal anymore. Earlier with Win7 them worked fine. After spending hours to debugging I accidentally noticed that if I make a TeamViewer connection to that server PC those tuners stopped giving any discontinuities.

Testing done using TVsetup manual controls. Also signal is good (measured). Interesting is also that my two other tuners (H7 and TBS6618) aren't affected. Attached TV server logs created with teamviewer connected and not. There is only seen those continuity errors. Is there anything I can try? Solution might be in some setting that TeamViewer do when connecting (network, video, etc)...

Attachments

• teamViewer connected.zip
    14.6 KB
  • teamViewer disconneted.zip
    14.4 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello again micko

My guess is that the problem is somehow related to power saving. In low-power mode the HDD or USB access/IO is too slow, and that causes the continuity errors. The TeamViewer connection forces the system into a higher power mode in which the access/IO is okay.

It's the only explanation I can think of...

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Hi mm, nice to hear from you again and thanks for your quick reply!

I have tried to disable all power savings and all irrelevant processes without success. Next I try to spy a little deeper what the TeamViewer actually do. I still think could it be related to network drivers, settings, etc.. Tuners are very depended on Windows networking, right? TvService have actually stopped today few times on SocketException (error log attached, sorry I didn't catch all) when trying to start timeshifting using pctv tuners.

Tested TVE3.5 too and same thing there. I might have few days until I must revert back to Win7, since it seems my wife have scheduled tons of recordings on later of this week and all tuners must be on duty then. Otherwise she is really taking me out for a dinner.. and now its below -20C up here :eek:

Edit: Just installed MS Message Analyzer to get more information about network traffics and it seems if I just let local trace running it does the same trick as TeamViewer did (no continuity errors). Errors start coming immediately when tracing is stopped. I have more time tomorrow to take a more look on this (and learn that sw). Is there anything special related to TVengine that I should look; ports, protocols, drivers etc?

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Tuners are very depended on Windows networking, right?
    No, not really - not unless they are network-attached tuners (eg. HDHomeRun).
    TV Server requires a stable network connection, but that is for communication with MP and the database.
    In other words, I'm saying that nothing related to the network connection should cause continuity errors for your USB tuner (...unless the NIC driver has bad DPC latency performance, but the symptoms would be very different).

...and it seems if I just let local trace running it does the same trick as TeamViewer did (no continuity errors). Errors start coming immediately when tracing is stopped.
    Yes, that does not surprise me. In the past people have said they could open an internet browser window and that would be enough to resolve similar problems. The issue is something to do with the system or hardware power state/savings.

Is there anything special related to TVengine that I should look; ports, protocols, drivers etc?
    Nope... except that it is a background process, and so Windows will think that the system/hardware power state can be lowered even during time-shifting and recording...

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    OK, Thanks mm. Checked DPC latency with LatencyMon v6.5 and no problem there. I have tried to force all possible settings to get full power (processing and physical) especially for backup processes without success. As said I have to revert my server back to Win7 and deal this thing later. Maybe I could build a new setup to test this again.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have tried to force all possible settings to get full power (processing and physical) especially for backup processes without success.
    Can you share your power settings with us? Also what kind of system are you using - as you haven't filled in your system specification data ;).

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I have tried to force all possible settings to get full power (processing and physical) especially for backup processes without success.
    Can you share your power settings with us? Also what kind of system are you using - as you haven't filled in your system specification data ;).
    Sure I can do, but later tomorrow. Today I have more lightening things to do ;) But I do have filled system specs, aren't them visible?

Edit: There is at least a few settings I made
    - Bios: Performance settings
    - Power Options: High Performance, USB selective suspend Disabled, Sleep Never, Processor performance core parking min cores 100%, Minimum processor state 100%, maximum processor state 100%
    - Performance Options: Visual effects Adjust for best performance, Processor scheduling Adjust for best performace of background services (as this is server only PC)
    - Also tried to change TVService priority

Last edited:

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    Latest news: Seems this problem isn't related to Win10 upgrade. I did a clean Win7 install and set up MP 1.13. Now I have this same problem again. Everything worked fine earlier with Win7 and HW isn't changed.

Now I have also another test PC (Win7, MP 1.13) and same problem there when using PCTV sticks. Seems you mm are right (not surprising :)): This issue is somehow related to power savings. Continuity problems begin only if timeshifting / recording is started manually from setupTV or from some network MP client. There isn't a single error if ts / rec is started from MP client running on the same PC as server (singleseat). And again only these USB powered devices is affected (TBS is PCI powered and H7 have external power supply). I have tried to set PCTV sticks in self-powered USB also without success (n)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From your description it sounds like the cause could be the power management of the PCTV tuner driver itself.
    Are there any power properties/settings on the PCTV tuner devices in device manager?

micko

Portal Pro
    May 27, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    From your description it sounds like the cause could be the power management of the PCTV tuner driver itself.
    Are there any power properties/settings on the PCTV tuner devices in device manager?
    No there isn't any. Only setting that can do from device manager is disabling power saving from USB root hub power management.
    Thinking if this could be some MS update that changed USB power management or process prioritization..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom