Converting DVD's (1 Viewer)

quiller

Portal Pro
November 28, 2006
Nebraska
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
VdR: Both of those apps are concerned with DVD-to-DVD conversion. The former (DVD Decrypter) merely moves the VIDEO_TS files to a local drive (and decrypts any protection schemes); the latter compresses to 4.35gb. yogiman_uk is looking to turn a 4.34gb movie into ~ 1.3gb.

yogiman_uk

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Manchester
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hey Quiller, At last someone who actually understands what I am trying to do! (no offence guys :) )

Your correct I want to compress the films to a resonable size without having to spend hours for each film.

It seems rather stupid to me that there is not a hardware card available to speed the whole process up!

Currently I have 5 hard disks giving me about 1.4 terrabytes! which is a huge amount of space but with the movies I already have my only option is to compress them down. The problem is that DivX makes a right hash of them all that pixeling when you get fast moving objects is rediculous I mean do they really expect me to watch a movie like that! Sorry but I would rather put each disc in the computer when I wanted to watch it.

I just find it really difficult to belive that you can't just squash down a DVD to a resonable size and still have it a good quality. I also find it hard to believe that someone has not marketed a hardware card to do this!

There must be loads of us out there who want to store our movies in this way!

Anyway, Thanks for all your replies! I really do appreciate the responce and the advice :)

Merry Christmas All

Yogiman!

CHli

Portal Pro
July 5, 2005
Switzerland
Home Country
Switzerland Switzerland
If you could store movies at very good quality for a fraction of the MPEG2-DVD quality and with very high compression speed why would we still use MPEG2 ? :D

yogiman_uk

Portal Pro
July 15, 2006
Manchester
Home Country
I would pay £200 quid for a decent hardware encoder! but then I don't think that £200 quid would be the cost of the unit. After all there will be a lot of people wanting to store movies on hard disk in the future. Lets face it the life span of DVD/Blueray or any other media of that format it limited.

However I don't really want to get into a discussion on this subject as it was not the point of the tread.

The point of the tread was to find out if there was a way to compress dvd's to a resonable size and still retain some quality and not have to put up with blocking! As a hardware DivX encoder would presumibly produce the blocking then it's a pointless argument.

As for quality vs compression I agree you have to loose something, however when you compress using DivX the quality is worse than that of a naff old VHS copy so it defeats the objective of trying to store all the movies on hard disk as I would prefer to have something thats doesn't irritate me when I am watching the films.

Any how.

Cheers

Yogiman!

brainbone

Portal Member
August 14, 2006
See:
http://www.divx.com/products/hw/browse.php?c=6

I'm note sure if any of these products can be used to convert existing mpeg2 videos to mpeg4/divx, but they might be worth looking into.

As for quality, that all depends on the bit rate you choose. If you choose too low a bit rate, you'll end up with blocky video... just as you would if you did the same with mpeg-2. mpeg-4/divx/xvid and avc are all able to sustain quality at much lower bit rates than mpeg-2 (dvds), but trying to compress 2 hours of high motion video to 700mb is going to look like crap, even with avc (h264).

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    remember that if there was a commercial product that was designed to allow you to copy DVD's in good quality to your hard drive then they would be shut down almost isntantly if it allowed you to break the copy protection.
    The Sonys of this world would be very unhappy and litigious.

DivX or xVid should give you what you want, you just need to find a program that does the encoding well and then give it enough time to do a good job. With most of these programs they need a fair bit of time for really impressive results. You cant have fast AND good quality. Remember too that speed is relative. When DVD copying first came out, it took around 12 hours to copy a disk so the figures you are seeing are great.

yogiman_uk

Portal Pro
    July 15, 2006
    Manchester
    Home Country
    Brainbone... thanks for the pointer. I will check it out.

Marcusb, I see where your comming from with regard to the legallity of all this and I agree. I dont really want to break any laws. I have around 400 DVD's and each and every one is an original, I don't believe in copying or buying illegal copies.

The film industry which keeps me entertained would not be around very long should we all decide to make or purchase illegal copies.

I am not 100 % sure about me wanting to backup/store them on hard disk for my own personal use. I hope this is ok however I guess thats another story.

So my next question is this.

I am currently using the following methods:

Extract dvd to hard disk using one of the following depending on the encryption:

DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter
    DVDFab Decrypter

Then I use #1 DVD Copy to create the DivX file.

However and based on what has been said about bit rate? How do I tell it to set the bit rate higher and what setting do i use so I don't get (1) blocking (2) that problem where on a sweeping scene it appears to be jerky?

Thanks all you kind people!

Yogiman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom