Copy client config(incl skin) to several clients? (1 Viewer)

Suburban

Portal Member
September 2, 2015
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hello!
Im new to MP1. About to leave WMC...

I have set up a well working MP server with a client(1.12.0), which I want to be my "master"-client. Also TV-server on this machine. Im running skin StreamedMP(for the moment). Windows 7.
I have 2 Android tablets working, which I can watch Live-TV/Freeview from the TV-server(I love this! Yeah!).

Now to my issue. I tried to set up one more (clean) client in our livingroom(it works with TV, Movies, homevideos, OnlineVideos etc if i use MP Config). But how do I "copy" the configuration from my "master"-client to other PCs? Is there a "How to" documentation somewhere? Or a plug-in or software to do this. It cant(?) be that bad, that I have to do the same configuration(using "MP - Configuration+ StreamedMP HomeBasic Editor) on ALL of the other clients(many, many parametersettings)??? One particular issue I have is that the Live-tv channels does not are in the same order as the "master"-client.

Do a printscreen on all tabs?(crazy...) I understand I have to do a installation of the client, and then install StreamedMP, but after that, some folders must be copied from the "Master"-client? But which folders or xml-files?(please can someone specify?)

To be clear. I want all my other clients(on 3 PCs) to be exact as my "Master"-client, and I want to do changes only on one place/master. To have the same setup/GUI on all clients is important for the experience for my kids(age 2,4,8) and my wife :)

This is the last thing(I hope...) I have to solve before I leave WMC and introduce MP1 for my family...
Im not so familiar with this Environment/computers... so please... I need detailed help. English is not my first language...

Please help!

JimCatMP

Documentation Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • April 1, 2010
    Leeds
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi

Are ALL the paths the same on each machine - assuming YES, it's easy[ish], BUT if your CONTENT [I have central NAS for just this], is NOT, then you CANNOT simply copy the master and you CANNOT replicate the DB's [step 8] from the master.

So...........

0) As this is Windows and nothing to do with MePo - set MASTER up with a STATIC IP address - it MUST BE static for the clients to work properly.

1) Shutdown MePo on master [you'll need to copy DB's, so this make sure no updates or access issues].

2) Make c:/ProgramData/Team Mediaportal/MediaPortal READABLE on all machines [they are hidden by Windows].

3) Empty c:/ProgramData/Team Mediaportal/MediaPortal/cache [optional]

4) In TV tab on master, make sure you have IP address of machine [master itself] as server and not 127.0.0.1 [local host] or any nickname - use REAL IP, it's much easier.

5) Copy thumbs, skin and database dirs to each of the clients, INTO the correct locations from c:/ProgramData/Team Mediaportal/MediaPortal [that may be by share and map drives or to memory stick, etc etc].

6) Copy the XML files from C:/ProgramData/Team Mediaportal/MediaPortal to each of the clients.

7) Delete [move somewhere safe, then delete later IF all works] the *.bak files in c:/ProgramData/Team Mediaportal/MediaPortal - MePo is clever enough to recover from problem is the .bak ir newer than the .xml.

8) Do NOT copy the "c:/ProgramData/Team Mediaportal/MediaPortal TVServer" - this not is missed step, the TVServer element is only need to live on the master.

9) Look at MPSync Plugin and work out [I can't really guide you on this] best place for your master DB's and Client updates - this is too keep the DB in sync [so suggest you ADD all new content on master] as well as the thumbs.

I've done this [copied full working MePo from Win7 setup to a Win10 build], it works, just plan your steps and most critical STEP 0 - without this you may well have problem with TV services let alone anything else.

NOW - if the content is on the MASTER , your steps are different ..........

0-4 same.

5) On ONE client, you will have to configure your content for path seen by client [for me, this would be MP-TVSeries, MovingPitures, Music & Pictures plugins] AND do the import.

6-8 Same

9) You need to have one client as your 'master client' for setting up now when using MPSync AND you will have to run your imports on both MASTER and 'MASTER CLIENT'

OR [I just set it up on my dev box as a test in last 5 mins] :sneaky:

1) assuming MASTER has all the content, eg D:/MOVIES
    2) SHARE D:/MOVIES on MASTER eg M_MOVIES
    3) On MASTER [this is the sneaky bit] map D:/MOVIES to M: - so you are locally mapping the drive, a loop back mount.
    4) Configure the path on MASTER in plugis as a network drive, then the same drive can be used by clients [so \\MASTER_IP\M_MOVIES would be mapped into MovingPictures].
    5) Then back to top of post.

HOWEVER - even with everything "sync'd" - what you 'SEE' on one client may be different to what you 'see' on another - I'm referring to LIST vs THUMB vs COVERVIEW, which are selectable in skin [deliberately so] - this is ONLY a presentation level for content, but it could come as shock if your not expecting it - and with a span of 2,4 & 8 yr olds in the house, you can be sure they'll find the options:(

MP2 would be a better bet for your requirements, but it's still in development and has some way to go before being wife & toddler ready.:cool:

Sorry this all seems so complicated, but MP1 was not designed for this kind of setup, but be assured there are plenty of MePo users with setup's the same as yours.

Good luck and post if you hit problems or have questions, folks on this forum are always ready to try and help(y)

TTFN - JCMP

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Too simplify and re-iterate the above.

For you to have the exact same config and database files the media (ie your videos) must be in the exact same path on both computers.

This will not work:
    Master PC: d:\movies\TheHobbit.mkv
    Oher PC: \\NetworkPC\movies\TheHobbit.mkv

This will work:
    Master PC: \\NetworkPC\movies\TheHobbit.mkv
    Other PC: \\NetworkPC\movies\TheHobbit.mkv

This will work:
    Master PC: d:\movies\TheHobbit.mkv
    Other PC d:\movies\TheHobbit.mkv

Suburban

Portal Member
    September 2, 2015
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks for the "walk through"...
    I have all my media on a central NAS.
    I'll will follow your instructions. I will test this within a couple of days...
    Thanks again...

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Take arms! ;)
    Nope, but i was making a judgement that have multiple database copies is better :)
    I think that your statement is biased. I have no trouble running a single database with four clients, no additional plugin needed, no copying of any data. However, new clients would require to manually copy the mediaportal.xml (once).

But since this is around central database management: If this is the prime criteria for a user, he/she should also take a look at MP2 where this aspect has been extensively addressed.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree with you.

My reasoning for advocating the separate local database files with a central sync method is because there are multiple user reports of my tv series plugin causing problems if by chance more than one client access the database at the same time. I myself don't use either method :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom