Cover art not working during import V6 Myfilms (1 Viewer)

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    3. Wrong cover art when there is a remake by the same title
    Further to what TLD said - in v 6 you can automatically add year or number (e.g. IMDb tt #) to cover filenames during import if you wish:
    See AMCU > Database fields tab > Cover Handling > Prefix/Suffix to file name

This sounds promising, but is still not enough to solve the problem.
    Changing the Filename did not change anything

Adding the suffix %year% or the suffix %number% had the following outcome

1. both %year% and %number% resolved to the year, I never got the IMDB number in the file name of the cover art

1. The number in that case is not IMDB number, but AMC movie number - but regardless of that, this sounds like a bug - could you please add this to issue tracker - it is for sure not severe, but should be fixed.
      [*]2 different (correct) Cover Art are now downloaded, each with different year value in file name
      [*]Only one set of Fan art is downloaded
      [*]Only one set of files is generated for ThumbCache (losing the year suffix)
      Ouch, that is a good finding! I never noticed as I rarely use thumb views. But this definately needs a fix, as it indeed limits the intended solution of andding suffix to distinguish different movies with same title.
      [*]Both Movies show the same coverart in Big-icon layout
      [*]Each movie shows different (correct) cover art once clicked on and you're in 'Overview'
    So point 6. is a tiny step forward.
    Indeed, the suffix was only meant to solve the cover issue - which it basically with exception of the bug in cache thumbs.
    We did not add that "suffixing" to fanart, as this would break existing fanart (cached cover thumbs can just be recreated on normal use) for both internally and externally (when users share fanart with other apps).
    So it is all about a decision on that; should not be too hard to e.g. extend the usage of the suffix to "fanart title" - so I'd like to have comments of other users to get to a final decision.

Here is a screen shot of all the files generated inside C:\ProgramData

files.jpg
    Thanks a lot for that precise reporting - very much appreciated and very helpful.

Dadeo

Docs Group Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 26, 2006
    Himalayas, India
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    We did not add that "suffixing" to fanart, as this would break existing fanart .... when users share fanart with other apps).
    I'm not sure how big an issue that part is Guzzi because there are not really any standards for fanart naming, even between MP plugins :( (You have heard me whine and complain about the lack of image mgmt/standards many times ;)) Nor are there any 'standards' in how the movie catalog apps store fanart.

Besides that, My Films is unique because it stores multiple fanart in separate folders for each movie, so it can display them more easily in Details window. I know @hafblade suggested Fanart should be saved by id and @bwg raised the issue of fanart for movies with same title before also. Personally I don't like the idea of numbered fanart (like TV Series uses) because I can never remember the Series ID and would be the same for a movie ID, so I can never find my fanart in Windows Explorer.

In summary, I think the option to add a suffix to fanart image names might be the best solution, especially as it is an 'option' you can enable/disable for different import operations. However, as you say that will require considerable testing, so imo we need users to volunteer for that for every movie catalog app to ensure it works for all use cases.

Guzzi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 20, 2007
    I am fine to make the required changes for that - so if there is ppl willing to test, we should add it to tracker so we can work on it.
    In any case, the two bugs (cover cache names and %number%) should imho be added - and finally, that problem about "big images" is somehow related, as it might finally be the solution to use cached - and thus smaller - thumbs instead of the original ones, if it can't be solved in MP itself (I think it is GUIImage.cs using GUITextureManager.cs using CachedTexture.cs finally using fontEngine.dll)

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    3. Wrong cover art when there is a remake by the same title
    Clash of the Titans (2010) (tt0800320).mkv
    Clash of the Titans (1981) (tt0082186).mkv

Is there perhaps a better way for me to name those files? The Grabber script identifies them correctly, all the details are displayed correctly.
    But only one image file is downloaded (Clash of the Titans.jpg), and displayed for both files. They also share the same fan art, though oddly the fan art from 1981 while the cover is from 2010.

Any advice?

When i have remakes i put the year in the title, as "Clash of the Titans 1981 (1981) (tt0082186).mkv" "Clash of the Titans 2010 (2010) (tt0800320).mkv" this allows separate fanart to be downloaded and separate covers to be downloaded with the cover manager

I have the same issue with the large "HD" covers not displaying on my CTR 3:4 TV but they work on my HD TV. i just download a lower definition cover for the CTR TV and then it works.

I wasn't clear with this and when i copied the file names i should have left off the ".mkv" I put the year in the title in the DB i do not changing the file name. This causes a new fanart folder to be created for the different movies, then i download the proper fanart in the GUI for each movie and the correct cover for each movie as the movies no longer have the same name each has it's own individual fanart and cover without file naming issues in the fanart folder and cover folder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom