CPU and Graphic card vs APU...Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hello everyone,

So I am putting together a new TV Server and client running HD content. I have always used AMD processors because they are usually cheaper than intel, but I am starting to see that AMD is really starting to make APU and the motherboards available are not including onboard graphics much.

So my question is, is there a big difference between getting a board without a graphic card (or separate on board graphics chip) and using a APU vs a board with a graphic card and a CPU for media portal stuff?

I usually reach for ATI (now AMD) graphic chipsets.

Thanks
    -S

P.S. I guess I could go with the APU and if it didn't do the job then pop in a card. It seems that AMD is setting things up so the GPU aspect of the APU will work with some of the graphic cards, instead of just shutting off.

CrashUK

Portal Pro
    July 24, 2008
    I still think cpu + gpu would be faster.. I think the APU is best for laptop/netbooks.... Mediacenters need a bit more power for 1080i

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was a AMD man, until Intels i3\i5\i7 series with HD3000 graphics arrived, which i have used on my last three build (i5 2500k)s, these have been rock solid, cool and quiet, needing just a bios update and a new driver, which sounds terrible, until you see what ATI and Nvidia have managed to break over the last 12 months.

ATI5450 beats
    Nvidia GT520 currently beats

You need to go up a level to get better graphics, was wondering about the next 6xxx gen from nvidia until i saw this monster, a real space saver ;)

Shadime

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I was a AMD man, until Intels i3\i5\i7 series with HD3000 graphics arrived, which i have used on my last three build (i5 2500k)s, these have been rock solid, cool and quiet, needing just a bios update and a new driver, which sounds terrible, until you see what ATI and Nvidia have managed to break over the last 12 months.

ATI5450 beats
    Nvidia GT520 currently beats

You need to go up a level to get better graphics, was wondering about the next 6xxx gen from nvidia until i saw this monster, a real space saver ;)

Have you not updated your system specs? or were these for others? what case do you have?

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Both Intel and AMD will be fine.

I have an AMD A6 APU which works fine. I also have i7 with HD4000, and also a ATI HD6670 GPU - All work great.

The advantage of integrated units is the single location of heat (needing less fan).

J.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    If you take the cost of a decent 128bit graphics card, add that to a reasonably strong cpu, ie i5 equivalent (do not want any hiccups during software decoding, or menu's ;)) , it makes financial sense and cooling a lot easier, with one less thing to inhibit airflow, so drop the graphics card and go for a i5 with HD3000.graphics
    Then put in 4gb corsair xms3, add a xilence power supply, all connected via a Gigabyte GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 mobo, total cost around £350, I think that's good value for your money, especially when it ain't mine :D

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I am in the same spot
    I want to buy a solid system for playing all sorts of HD content on low cost/ low power consumption and with no noise at all
    therefor i figured i need to get an APU solution
    but whenever i read tests, 50% are complaining, that its simply not enough for fullHD and the other half explains that its easily achievable by tweaking and tuning details

I really dont see a reason to by an i5 + graphics card for a media client when it will need more power and costs

£350 are still ~450 euros. if you compare this with the costs for a full system (board, ram, cpu, case, ... ) with an APU you will only need around 200-250 euros.

I guess i will simply try out an APU system.
    Maybe one more question for you people here:

should i go for the E450? as there is not so much of a difference compared wiith the E350 when i look at the benchmarks

i found the Zotac FUSION-ITX WiFi A-Series (FUSION350-A-E) board (~120-140 euros) which ships with the E350 and has no active fan,
    but since this board is already a year old, i was wondering if there is anything faster? same price range and no active fan?

cheers

Last edited:

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    All Nettop CPU (no matter if it's AMD or Intel) are really (to) slow and this results in a stuttering MP GUI . So if you don't want to use lots of Plugins, no TV Server no MPExtended and no StreamedMP (or other fully loaded) Skin then you can go for a E450 System as the E450 is the best of those worse systems. If you are willing to pay an additional 50€ you can get an Sandy Bridge Celeron with an extra GPU (passive cooling is possible and usable) which has about ten times the CPU power and an better GPU Power also. Such a system consumes aprox. 20 Watt extra electrical power. I think this is acceptable. The noise level is equal. And with this you can use all Plugins you want and your preferable skin.

loadme

Portal Pro
    January 7, 2010
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey,

thank you for your time! Can you maybe suggest a specific board/cpu/gpu configuration?
    The sandy bridge sounds very handsome. I didnt had a closer look at it though.
    50 Euros more for twice or more power is really a good deal ;)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom