CPU usage (1 Viewer)

P

pratab

Can someone tell me why the CPU usage is very high when MP is in focus and drops down when someother application is in focus?

The CPU usage goes above 80% when I have MP in focus and not doing anything (just the main menu is on). Is there something wrong or is there ways to bring down the CPU usage. The RAM usage seems to be fine (less then 300 MB).

I am running MP on a IBM Thinkpad T20 with 512MB RAM.

Everything works fine except DIVX movies.

Thanks
pratab

Smirnuff

Portal Pro
December 7, 2004
United Kingdom
Your laptop doesn't have a DirectX 9 compliant graphics card so your CPU is having to do a lot of the work normally left for the GPU to handle and that is why you're getting such high CPU usage, 0% is easily achieved with more powerful hardware.

Cheers,
Smirnoff.

P

pratab

Thanks for the quick response. Are there any alternatives, than thorwing away my T20?

fossks

Portal Member
May 2, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
CPU Usage Level

Pratab,
I have issues with CPU usage as well. I hear what Smirnoff is saying about needing a DX9 compliant vid card, but I have to say that something needs to be done in MP if have the menu screen on can raise the CPU usage to high levels. I personally have only an ATI Radeon 9250 in my system which is not DX9 cmpliant, though I do have the most uptodate version of DX9 installed.

My system can have the CPU usage level slowly increase from 2-3% to 80% over a couple of hours after a reboot and the only thing that is on is the initial MP screen. Without MP running WinXP sits at the 2-3% level for hours.

What is it about MP and DX9 compliance that is required for maintaining the main MP screen?

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi fossks,

i do not think that you have a problem with your CPU / graphics card. MP version 0.1.2.0 has a memory leak on some machines. I think you hit it. Try the latest CVS (prebuild on http://www.myshare.de).

This should solve your problem. I had have this leak also.

HTH, Flip.

tklon

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I think there is a problem with the CPU usage in the current release. I use CVS from myshare.de (mediaportal-cvs-05-30-2005--01-16).

See this screenshot:

cpu_usage.gif

Try this:
    1. Start the task manager with the option "Always on top".
    2. Start MP in fullscreen. -> MP has focus !!!

On my system the cpu usage is between 5% and 30%. When I set the focus to the task manager (that's where the red arrow is displayed) the cpu usage is dropping to 5% - 10%.

Since some days I noticed that, because my system temps went up for about 5° C.

Does anyone else notice this?

(See sig for my hardware. I've installed latest xp patches and hardware drivers.)

fossks

Portal Member
    May 2, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Flipger,
    I installed the CVS version from 30 May and the memory leaks seem to be gone. I left the MP PC on all night and when I opened it up, the memory usage from Task Manager is the same as last night. It even responds as well as when it is started up.

Thanks for the updated version, now I feel even more comfortable putting MP in the living room.

Kevin

Poromenos

Portal Member
    January 12, 2006
    I'm having the same problem, I have an Acer Aspire (ATI 9200 gfx card) and MP's usage is at 90-100% when I open it (at the main menu) and I don't know what's wrong. I have an nVidia 4200 Ti on my desktop and it runs fine there.

I have installed all the latest versions, 0.1.3.0 (release and cvs) and 0.2 and I'm having the same problem. The CPU usage drops to normal if it keeps running for a bit, but in the first minutes it's very unusable. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom