Creating a new thread flattens my laptop (1 Viewer)

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    With the current version of the forum software, whenever I create a new thread, it takes ages to type the title. This is because after every character typed, my CPU usage increases to 100% for several seconds, at the end of which the cursor is often moved to the start of the title (so subsequent characters typed appear at the start of the title, if I am not paying attention).

I think that this 100% CPU-usage is caused by the forum software scanning a list of previous threads to find ones to show in the "similar threads" list, to encourage the user to post in an existing thread if there is a relevant one. There is nothing wrong with that, except when it loads the user's computer so much that the computer becomes unusable for several seconds. :mad:

Is it possible to restrict in some way the CPU load? Perhaps by not scanning so many threads? (E.g. limit the threads scanned to those started within the last x months.) Thank you. :)

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    that simply shouldn't happen, your browser just starts the search but does not perform it. If it takes more then ms something is wrong. Please start with cleaning your cache and let me know which browser/version you use

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please start with cleaning your cache and let me know which browser/version you use
    I am using the current version of Firefox (50.1.0) on Windows XP. :eek:

I am not sure which cache to clear. I emptied "...\me\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files", but there were only circa 2500 files (3.5 MB). Are there any other folders that I should clear?

The 100% CPU usage occurs only while I type the thread title. Performance is OK when I type the body of the post.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom