Custom Skin Designer - WANTED (1 Viewer)

Brookers

Portal Member
October 17, 2006
Hi all,

I have just came across this program and have to say it is very impressive and with it being open source even better for my application.

Now..

I have little time (a few weeks max) before I need to show this software in action for a potential client. And would like a custom skin made for this application.

Would anyone be interested in working on a skin for my project, I would provide some graphics and would require you to create some buttons etc into your design based on how I need this to look.

If you are interested please PM me. A gift will also be made in appreciation for your time and effort.

Note: You will be required to produce skins and graphics to a high standard sorry no newbies.

Thanks

Adrian

Brookers

Portal Member
October 17, 2006
Please note: This will be a paid position, I will use paypal to transfer the cost of your skin development.

Regards

Brookers

rocky500

Portal Member
December 9, 2005
I'm thinking I could put a 5 man team together.(time frame limited)
Estimate 500 Hours to perfect skin at $100/hr.
Total $50,000 US dollars.
Half at the start of job and the rest at completion.
Ongoing charge if needed updates as Media Portal is constantly changing,

December 28, 2005
Sydney
Home Country
As this is an open source project I do not see it appropriate for someone to profiteer from all the free manpower hours that have been put into this software. If you are unable to effectively meet your clients request in such a sort time line which you have set out by yourself. Maybe you should not have taken the porject up.

I am personal disgusted by your appeal.

Brookers

Portal Member
October 17, 2006
Hi Forgotten Illustrator, I understand your point on this matter but at no point was I intending to offend anyone in this process.

Media Portal skin design and modification clearly requires some intense training to obtain a professional, nice looking skin as the end product.

I have noticed while searching through the forums, and coming across various posts that there are some very talented members who contribute to this project. If Media Portal had a donation page, I am sure they would be very grateful of donations from users, which in my opinion would be something I would personally do as I feel the coders behind this project deserve this to cover costs.

Designing new skins for Media Portal is something a number of members here in this community do very well, and their talents should be rewarded. I would never dream of asking someone to focus on the specific project for free which is why I was happy to pay for their time.

After 13 hours of looking at things yesterday and trying to learn I have managed to change and modify certain areas which I wanted customizing, it turns out to be a bit of a hash but it will have to do.

Its a shame that this has been seen as a terribe issue sometimes we need to be less narrow minded to see the potential of things.

Brookers

zag2me

Portal Pro
April 11, 2006
Home Country
England England
Yeh there is no harm in asking or paying someone to do it I guess :)

But the point is, media-portal is open source, therefore anything that was created should be given to the community also.

I'm sure if there was a pledge to do this, then you would get alot more interest.

Oculus

Portal Member
July 8, 2006
Denmark
I think some people in here need to look up "open source".

There's nothing wrong with someone wanting to pay another person for creating a skin for MP.

Nobody is changing the source, the original poster is providing the graphics. He's paying for someone to do XML coding.

You people think paying someone to do the design for a blog based on open source, is horrible to? ;)

NeoLuddite

Portal Member
September 6, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
I would have to agree with FI, although i must admit i don’t know the full situation but i do know if you are planning on selling HTPC’s that run MP for profit then you are breaking the rules of Open Source Licensing.

I don’t, on the other hand, find a problem with compensating a programmer for his/her time spent on customizing a look or feel for someone else as long as, again, it is not for profit.

Maybe something you should bring up with the admins.

Bram

Portal Pro
December 12, 2005
's-Hertogenbosch
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
This has been discussed many times.
It's legal to sell computers with MP on it. Of course you can also ask money for the time spend configuring the windows an Mp installation.

There is no legal reason why a skin can't be created by one of the designers here while getting payed for it. But I don't think you should expect to have exclusive rights on the skin. Clearly no one is really enthusiastic about using MP commercially. So the skin will most likely become available to everyone, for free.

I don't think it's very good marketing to sell software that the buyer can also download for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom