Custom Skin Designer - WANTED (1 Viewer)

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
On the other hand, would any company be interested in a HTPC app to deliver with the hardware they sell, I'd be happy to see itheir choice is the best app in the market, aka MP. And, if the skin is shared with the community (possibly after removing spcific "branded" items), I'd say it a win-win situation. However, its very much about the attitude of this company andf the way they're able to relate to an open source community.

NeoLuddite

Portal Member
September 6, 2006
Boston, Massachusetts
Wow, my apologies zag2me.

Maybe instead of just telling someone that they are wrong you could post something to explain why they are wrong.

I am not saying I wasn’t wrong (my misreading of the GNU could have caused this) but at least show me where I am wrong.

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Don't pin me on the exact text in the GNU, but the basic point is that:
1: If you sell it or give it away, you'll have to provide the source code (or on request).
2: Anyone is allowed to compile the source code and do with it as he/she pleases.
Therefore, while it's allowed to sell MP, since it will always be available for free not too many people will buy it. However, it's quite OK to sell for example service packages, goodie boxes, nicely printed CD's, t-shirts etc.
So, it can be fully legal to sell a MP (HT)pc (though you have to abide certain rules). The point might be whether it's legal to develop a skin, not share it with the community and commercially use it. But up to now, I didn't read that the topic starter would refuse to share the potential new skin with the MP community.

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    If you want to sell MP with a custom skin that you pay a designer to create, you need to release the xml-files as they are derived work of MediaPortal. If you create your own graphics you don't need to release the graphics.

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    At the risk of being awarded the prize for bringing the oldest thread back to life, this one interested me.

An Austrian company called AT-Visions (Hotel TV, IPTV, Digital Signage - at-visions GmbH) is hosting an even for XBMC programers this weekend in Vienna (I think). At-Vision use XBMC as the basis of a commercial solution used in high end hotels, which is something I have been looking into myself. I work in this industry, and while the company I work for has a bespoke In Room Entertainment solution providing IP Video on Demand, IPTV, live weather etc I have always had a feeling that XBMC and MediaPortal have the edge on it.

I have looked into using MediaPortal for a solution for small hotels, working in conjunction with a professional IPTV headend, and it genuinely looks like a more attractive solution than the so-called 'professional' solutions from multi-million dollar companies.

While there are clearly rules and regulations for the GNU licenses, which everyone needs to respect, I see this is a great opportunity for some funding for the project. I don't know if MediaPortal has knowingly been used as an element of a commercial project, but I have now seen something that looks incredibly like XBMC being used in a number of Five Star hotels in US and Europe, and AT-Visions are very open about it. I think this is a great idea, and I would love to see the MediaPortal team getting a) the funding that commercial usage like this can bring but also b) the ability to assign resources that might otherwise not be available to the team, who after all must have day jobs to pay the bills too!

That said - has anyone heard of MediaPortal being used like this somewhere? I can't wait to see MP2, but not being a developer, all I can do is assist with donations from time to time, and maybe one day, I can assist with a hotel project that uses MP2, and pays a donation based on a per room installed fee.

DieBagger

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 11, 2007
    Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    As far as my understanding of the MP license goes it wouldn't be against any rules to install MediaPortal for commercial usage.

If you however make any modifications to MP in the process you would be required to also publish them as OpenSource. Furthermore I don't think the team would object to such usage, you can get in contact with the team management here MEDIAPORTAL - Contact us! to be on the safe side.

I have no idea how well MP1 scales when used with many clients but it would be very interresting to hear from someone who had actually tried that.

Edit: Since I'm in vienna this weekend: Do you have a link for this event?
    Edit: Found it http://www.at-visions.com/at-visions-brings-XBMC-conference-to-Vienna.html

finrudd341

Portal Pro
    February 24, 2008
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Home Country
    Brazil Brazil
    Yes - I had got in touch via that link, but didn't hear back. I was inquiring about exactly this - using MP as a commercial product, and becoming a sponsor.

The idea was not that the software is sold, as this infringes the GNU - the revenue for a business model comes from the associated hardware sales, and potentially the network support, and yes - any skin that is developed for a hotel, would need to be available as code for everyone else (minus any brand/logo I suppose).

I would love to see a hotel running MediaPortal throughout - it would really give the wow factor to small hotels that could not normally have a service like this, and that is normally the reserve of large business hotels. There is no reason why MP should not work from a central streaming server for content, and a pro IPTV headend - I think it would be more network related than client related.

I would also like to know what the biggest MP install is to date - from what I can see of this AT Visions solution, they are running it in some big German Hyatt properties, which would be over 350 clients at least!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom